Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
May 24, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #8,011 of 9,173
I've been using the same pair of HD650's for a decade now and looking to get a 2nd pair of 'phones. I want a more 'animated' pair and this seems like a good fit. Has anyone heard the Z7's on a Little Dot mkIII (stock tubes)?

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #8,013 of 9,173
I've been using the same pair of HD650's for a decade now and looking to get a 2nd pair of 'phones. I want a more 'animated' pair and this seems like a good fit. Has anyone heard the Z7's on a Little Dot mkIII (stock tubes)?
The HD650 is still a great headphone to me. I own the Z7 and the Z1R. Both share the HD650 presentation of a warm and laid back sound. I dig this. Both Sonys need much less power to drive them than the Sennheiser. I have no tube amp, but I am sure you will enjoy the Z7 or if you can afford even more so, the Z1R. It is easy to switch between the three of them.
1495663964678-343563215.jpg

May 24, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #8,014 of 9,173
The HD650 is still a great headphone to me. I own the Z7 and the Z1R. Both share the HD650 presentation of a warm and laid back sound. I dig this. Both Sonys need much less power to drive them than the Sennheiser. I have no tube amp, but I am sure you will enjoy the Z7 or if you can afford even more so, the Z1R. It is easy to switch between the three of them.

What cable is that on your Z7's? Also I see in your signature that you also have the Beyerdynamic DT-1990's. How does these sound in comparison to the Z7's? Are they worth picking up?

May 25, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #8,015 of 9,173
What cable is that on your Z7's? Also I see in your signature that you also have the Beyerdynamic DT-1990's. How does these sound in comparison to the Z7's? Are they worth picking up?
the cable is a Forzaaudioworks HPC NOIR. Got it to have a mobile cable with 1.2m length. Handmade in Poland. 160€.
The DT1990 is very good. Not overly bright, dynamic, good bass for an open can. But to fit soundwise with the Z7, I have to lift the bass and lower the treble. Not sure if I keep it. Have the same cable for them too.

May 25, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #8,016 of 9,173
the cable is a Forzaaudioworks HPC NOIR. Got it to have a mobile cable with 1.2m length. Handmade in Poland. 160€.
The DT1990 is very good. Not overly bright, dynamic, good bass for an open can. But to fit soundwise with the Z7, I have to lift the bass and lower the treble. Not sure if I keep it. Have the same cable for them too.

That's a good looking cable. I see that they also make a hybrid cable. Do you think the Z7's would benefit from a hybrid or a pure silver cable?

May 25, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #8,017 of 9,173
I got a pair of MDR-Z7s and noticed that the pads were misaligned. This is due to the plastic rims inside the pads being asymmetrical and they had put the same piece on both sides at the factory, hence one of the pads is not properly installed. You guys should seriously check your headphones when you get them in case they are 'damaged' aswell. The pads are attached by screws so they cannot simply be rotated without disassembly.

(The faulty pad in the picture is the one with red marking around the plug.)

mdrz7.jpeg

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #8,021 of 9,173
I have to admit I could not keep up with this thread so forgive what is likely a question that has been covered previously. I need a pair of replacement earpads as they are splitting at the seam on my son's Z7's that have gotten a lot of use of the last few years.

Clearly not an inexpensive item so I'd like to source them for him as reasonably priced as possible. Recommendations?

Thanks.

HS

May 27, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #8,023 of 9,173
Thank you. Yes, I did that and best I found was $114/pair without shipping. I was hoping someone had located a more reasonably priced source.

If an opportunity arises for purchasing via Japan I will take it, but my business no longer takes me or peers to Asia Pacific I'm afraid.

HS

May 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #8,024 of 9,173
You could try to find a mail proxy, I've used such services to order stuff from Germany before. Quick search brought up Tenso.com. Of course you have to successfully navigate a couple Japanese websites first... And obviously, in the end it might be very close to the original international price level, after postage and customs etc. Yodobashi is sold out but some other Jap web shop should have them in stock.

pad, left
pad, right

May 31, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #8,025 of 9,173
Thank you. Yes, I did that and best I found was $114/pair without shipping. I was hoping someone had located a more reasonably priced source.

If an opportunity arises for purchasing via Japan I will take it, but my business no longer takes me or peers to Asia Pacific I'm afraid.

HS

You have to get them from japan, special order. They are not stocked anywhere else. All listings in the US are oos. I got my own back up set last year, straight from JDM.

neB99jdl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back