Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Apr 15, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #7,981 of 9,173
  With a current used price, you can't do any better.  Really, get an upgrade walkman digital cable and you are in a business.

I've done some searching and can't find anything that looks like a Walkman digital cable, other than replacement OEM cables.

Can you recommend something for a Walkman to a PHA-3?

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #7,982 of 9,173
Hi Krutsch,

Can you compare Nighthawk to MDR-Z7?
Both are dynamic phone with different size and structure difference.
It will help to understand Z7.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #7,983 of 9,173
Hi Krutsch,

Can you compare Nighthawk to MDR-Z7?
Both are dynamic phone with different size and structure difference.
It will help to understand Z7.

Try the discussion before and after this post:

View Full Post

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #7,985 of 9,173
@Whitigir
 @purk
, Right now I'm feeding my Z7 through Schiit Stack and I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm not sure getting the SONY PHA3 with the balance cable is considered as an upgrade or not? I really need to find a place to audition the gear lol.
Z7 with the balanced Kimberkable on PHA3 kicks a**
I have used the the combo for a few days and later upgraded to Sony Signature series. My PHA3 is up for sale (less than 20 hrs on it). Let me know if you're interested :wink:

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #7,986 of 9,173
I've done some searching and can't find anything that looks like a Walkman digital cable, other than replacement OEM cables.

Can you recommend something for a Walkman to a PHA-3?
Get the dock and Audioquest micro Cinnamon USB if the setup has to be at the desk. See my signature. Nothing can beat the sound signature coming out of it.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #7,988 of 9,173
[/quote]Get the dock and Audioquest micro Cinnamon USB if the setup has to be at the desk. See my signature. Nothing can beat the sound signature coming out of it.[/quote]

Interesting combo especially with the AQ Cinnamon micro USB. I've been researching various micro USB cables for the PHA-3 and the Cinnamon seems like the go-to. I'm new here BTW.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #7,989 of 9,173
Yes, the z7 is special partly because of the insane fact that you can pick a pair up for 500 bucks.  The build quality exceeds that of many 1000 dollar headphones!  The sound signature is fun and not too audiophile-ly...a headphone you can just put on and forget about - perfect for laid back, non critical listening - i.e. late night movie watching and youtubing lol.  Wouldn't trade mine in for anything, because while there are technically "better" cans out there, there really is no substitute for what they give you, especially for the money.   

Hey there. I couldn't agree more. :)

What I've also discovered is that the z7's being as laid back and fun as we know are really meant for a volume push. What I mean is the z7's really come more alive listening to them loud. 70 to 75db is really ideal for me with these headphones. Not a headphone meant for low level listening. These are fun!!! Lol

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #7,990 of 9,173
I couldn't agree more. The Sony MDR-Z7's are begging to be driven loud. Even at high volume they maintain their composure and provide excellent sound.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #7,992 of 9,173
Interesting combo especially with the AQ Cinnamon micro USB. I've been researching various micro USB cables for the PHA-3 and the Cinnamon seems like the go-to. I'm new here BTW.
I am personally using the ZX100 with the dock and Audioquest Cinnamon and extremely satisfied with the performance.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #7,994 of 9,173
Same here but a Pangea cable into a Gumby. Very happy!

I own the 1st gen Mjolnir & Gungnir.. Bought them to  pair with LCD-3. but never could arrange money to buy the LCD-3 in time. Schiit stack is stored from last 2.5 years. Now that I've got the LCD-3, time to finally wake them up 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #7,995 of 9,173
I am personally using the ZX100 with the dock and Audioquest Cinnamon and extremely satisfied with the performance.

Great! I've noticed that the majority of USB cables come with either Mini or B connectors. Micro connectors don't appear, from what I've seen, to be as commonly available compared to other connectors.

On a side note, Kimber Axios looks nice. Probably a warm sounding cable given the copper content?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back