Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 21, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #7,246 of 9,173
  Any recommendations for a portable dac/amp to power these? I have the fiio e17k for now, which works well enough. I was thinking of maybe getting the Creative E5.

For me I love the JDS LABs C5D .. I think the cleanness of it compliments the Z7s really well. I used to have a few Fiios myself but after having a O2+DAC, I changed it all to JDSLabs products. I found the Fiios were always a bit too warm and made everything seem a bit too soft sounding and when you add that to a already darker/warmer headphone, it sounds too mushy (if that's a word). 
The bass boost also works wonders .. not that you need it on the Z7 .. but you can get more bass :) .. it works very well on things like the AT A900X where the bass is not as emphasised. So definitely worth a look into.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #7,247 of 9,173
Hey, cjc!
Norneaudio.com has wire options that you may want to check out. They may be able to answer your question about how to set up your z7's with the right connection for your rig. 
They're not cheap, but it cant hurt to ask.
Plussaudio is likely to be on top of the z7 cables you need, so check them out before jumping in. 
Just my thoughts from looking around for my own needs.
Happy listening,
Fullranger

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #7,248 of 9,173
I very clearly remember the first CD I ever heard. Theatre of Pain- Motley Crue. Keep in mind we listened to vynal, Cassette tapes were for the car or walkman. I remember thinking it sounded very strange. I couldn't put my finger on it but something sounded very "off". I have always been an audio nut and I quickly decided I didn't want a CD player! Pure analog is not rolled off. It's smoooooth. It's not in your face. Yet it's just as detailed, if not more so, than digital. This describes the Z7 IMHO to a tee. I have been really digging these cans. They are so enjoyable, I find my self not analyzing the music. That should say it all.

Pure analog was only only available at the time for the the people who created the recording. The consumer got a third generational analog copy at best on Vinyl and reel to reel tapes, on cassettes .....forget it.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #7,249 of 9,173
Pha-3 and liquid carbon? Pha-3 because it was made for z7, liquid carbon because many reputable and respectable people said so

Yeah about that, while I have no doubt about their reputation or respectability, my own conclusion was completely opposite. I certainly won't recommend the LC nor it is portable since it has no battery and it certainly has no DAC.. I would recommend the Fiio E18 instead, or this:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/xduoo-xd-05-dac-amp

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #7,250 of 9,173
  Any recommendations for a portable dac/amp to power these? I have the fiio e17k for now, which works well enough. I was thinking of maybe getting the Creative E5.

I like how Z7 perform excellent with good ol Ibasso DX90. Maybe because both PHA-3 and DX90 have ESS 9018K DACs?
Somehow Z7 sounds better in high gain and high volume..

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #7,251 of 9,173

So many choices, many would be fine.  I like my HiFi-M8 with the Z7.  But I only listen on my desktop setup with the Z7 these days, and yes the Liquid Carbon drives them wonderfully.

I say shop for the best sounding DAC you can afford, as I think source is more important then amplification with this particular headphone.  I'm super curious to hear this headphone with the Mojo.  It seems quite the ideal match.  Many here also use good DAPs with the Z7, and are quite happy with the results.  I think the Pono and ZX2 are the most popular in those regards...

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #7,254 of 9,173
  Yes, they are certainly likable. I think they give the cans that extra bit of clarity that helps balance out the darker traits to a pleasing whole. Never thought I would spring for the whole Z7 package, so to speak, but glad I did.

I agree with your description of what the Kimber's can do for the Z7. However the whole Z7 package is way out of my wallet's range.

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #7,255 of 9,173
really love the Kimber cable too ... I does make a nice difference. I bought the 3m but have now realised I only use it at my desk ... so if anyone has the 1m in sydney that they would like to swap for the 3m .. let me know.

Jul 23, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #7,256 of 9,173
I'm using the Geek Out V 2 USB DAC with my computer, and I think it sounds great. There are threads for the V2 and the v2+  here on head-fi, so be sure to check them out. The price is good, and technically, it seems to be a great small DAC.
I subscribed to Tidal streaming (hi-fi version) and I'm loving it. 
My iMac, Geek Out V2, and Sony Z7's are ripping with Tidal, and the only thing I want to try to improve the experience is to receive the balanced wire I ordered from Japan.
The importance of a DAC with balanced out is pretty significant from what I have read on these threads, so be sure to get a balanced DAC, or you may have to re-shop if you want to find even better sound. -you could shop forever.

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #7,257 of 9,173
The SONY MUC-S20BL1 cable for the MDR-1 isn't quite right as a cable for the Z7, due to the y-split end having a very short yoke. It's actually intended to plug into the PHA-3 with the pair of 3.5mm jacks. I'm going to modify this "choke" by removing the ferrule at the y-splitter and separating the wires a bit to make a more open yoke, as I had hoped for. 
In any event, the connections work, though not as  you might expect to go from a single 3.5mm TRRS out to the Z7's separate headphone inputs.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #7,258 of 9,173
Is the Kimber balanced cable silver plated copper or just copper? Just curious because the included (non Kimber) balanced cables from Sony in the package are apparently silver plated coopper. 

I wonder what is better for this headphone? 

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #7,259 of 9,173
Is the Kimber balanced cable silver plated copper or just copper? Just curious because the included (non Kimber) balanced cables from Sony in the package are apparently silver plated coopper. 

I wonder what is better for this headphone? 

Neither Silver plated Copper (SPC) nor the Copper is good for Z7. The Z7 has deep dark sound signature with booming bass. It is depend on what you want out of it, but the majority of discussion I had been having confirmed 2 things

1/ to Balance the Z7 more, you have to use Pure Silver Solid-core or Litz type....no regular stranded cables is recommended

2/ to have even Deeper Bass and slightly balance out the Z7, you have to use high quality Pure Copper of Solid core or Litz...again, no regular stranded type

3/ Kimber Kables do improve Z7 sound quality, but not as much as a reputable 3rd party custom one

No SPC is recommended in my opinions and many others. However, if you found that you like it and are satisfied with it, no one would stop you. Music is all about preferences and tastes

Kimber Kables being offered by Sony is Pure Copper, and Stock cables from Z7 box are all Silver Plated Copper with Oxygen Free of 6N Litz type as well.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #7,260 of 9,173
Neither Silver plated Copper (SPC) nor the Copper is good for Z7. The Z7 has deep dark sound signature with booming bass. It is depend on what you want out of it, but the majority of discussion I had been having confirmed 2 things

1/ to Balance the Z7 more, you have to use Pure Silver Solid-core or Litz type....no regular stranded cables is recommended

2/ to have even Deeper Bass and slightly balance out the Z7, you have to use high quality Pure Copper of Solid core or Litz...again, no regular stranded type

3/ Kimber Kables do improve Z7 sound quality, but not as much as a reputable 3rd party custom one

No SPC is recommended in my opinions and many others. However, if you found that you like it and are satisfied with it, no one would stop you. Music is all about preferences and tastes

Kimber Kables being offered by Sony is Pure Copper, and Stock cables from Z7 box are all Silver Plated Copper with Oxygen Free of 6N Litz type as well.

Thanks, so how do you think this  this cable would perform? https://www.surfcables.com/products/sony-mdr-z7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back