Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 8, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #4,516 of 9,173
  It's quite easily actually.  From my experience in particular, I had 3 years of Planar Magnetic listening that my ears were accustomed to.  The closed, resonant and high distortion of the bass of the Z7 was an instant alarm when first hearing the Z7.  I'm sure you could picture how stark of a difference that is, when you're used to linear bas with no distortion and fast decay of an open planar for so long, and you go right to the Z7.

I really like the Z7's bass response.

However, I do have a lot of experience with Sony headphones, and their new house sound in particular. So I'm used to this kind of sound. 

Going back to a planar magnetic like the Oppo PM-3 is a downgrade for me! 

Edit: I you have ever heard the Sony MDR-10R with that extreme bass response, the Z7's are very neutral. Also, in comparison with the Fidelio X2, the bass is better on the Z7. And the soundstage is more or less the same, and that for a closed headphone! It's quite something. 

I also think that Sony did a great job with the Z7's bass.
IMO bass is not "better" solely because a driver is planar.

Mar 8, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #4,517 of 9,173
That the first thing I said I when I put them on, I said, "These things are 3D!"
L3000.gif

Indeed, and I believe it also has something to do not only with soundstage but note decay as well, which is soooo good (snares, drums, piano, strings everything sounds just lifelike). Combined with the layered presentation It gives that unparalleled sense of depth, which in my opinion make the Z5 so 3D (width is more common).

I'd say the Z7 isn't as 3D as the Z5, even if there are a lot of layers there, I think the medium and tweeter BA's are making a difference sound is less dark and "airier".

They can be a bit euphoric at tines.
I can feel the pleasure endorphins kick in.

Yeah so are the Z7, in a different way, less vibrant and more laid back but both are very euphonic I never have had that except with Final Audio products like Pandora Hope VI and Final Heaven IV

Now you're just talking dirty to me!

Be careful for eargasm :wink:

Mar 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #4,521 of 9,173
  It's quite easily actually.  From my experience in particular, I had 3 years of Planar Magnetic listening that my ears were accustomed to.  The closed, resonant and high distortion of the bass of the Z7 was an instant alarm when first hearing the Z7.  I'm sure you could picture how stark of a difference that is, when you're used to linear bas with no distortion and fast decay of an open planar for so long, and you go right to the Z7.

But, what about those of us who are *not* "used to linear bas with no distortion and fast decay of an open planar for so long"? When *we* "go right to the Z7," then we don't know any better.

Can you forgive us?

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #4,522 of 9,173

But, what about those of us who are *not* "used to linear bas with no distortion and fast decay of an open planar for so long"? When *we* "go right to the Z7," then we don't know any better.

Can you forgive us?

Yeah, of course.

I think it has been mentioned several times here that it's understandable that when someone who hasn't heard many alternatives that are better, or different, in the same price class as the Z7, and then they go to the Z7, they'd feel like it's such a huge leap forward.

Personally, I have nothing against the Z7, but I did say multiple times before I even owned the Z7 that I wouldn't expect it to blow my socks off, given that my frame of reference is coming from getting used to planar magnetics, electrostatics, and HD800. It's really all about managing expectations.

The good news (or bad, depending on if you want to look at it from your wallet's perspective) is... there is still more to be had. So once you're tired of the Z7 (might take a while), you know you can still save up to get "better".

biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #4,523 of 9,173

Suggest that you phone Redco Audio in Stratford, CT.

The website is great, but for these headphones you might
want to speak with a human.  And they are truly experts
with cabling.

Toll Free:1-800-572-7280
Local:1-203-502-7600

http://www.redco.com/home.php

OT, but forgot to mention another good source for cables:
http://milianacoustics.com/home.php

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #4,525 of 9,173
Not sure if the Z7 would fit into the cheaper gear house sound, MDR-1A would.

People are not being tricked by liking the Z7's bass, it is indeed great but not the best nor sounds like the bass of other expensive phones.

I personally love it quite a lot.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #4,526 of 9,173
I got the Z7 for around 400 dollars. Currently, for that price, I can't seem to find anything better. 

But as some of you said that a planar magnetic is better, I'm looking for a headphone in the 700 dollar range, maybe something like the Audeze EL-8? 

First impressions of those are not very positive, and the Oppo's aren't much better either. 

So, in order to get a better headphone, I should be looking in the 1200 dollar price range... 

I will just stay with the Z7.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #4,527 of 9,173
I got the Z7 for around 400 dollars. Currently, for that price, I can't seem to find anything better. 

But as some of you said that a planar magnetic is better, I'm looking for a headphone in the 700 dollar range, maybe something like the Audeze EL-8? 

First impressions of those are not very positive, and the Oppo's aren't much better either. 

So, in order to get a better headphone, I should be looking in the 1200 dollar price range... 

As far as I'm aware, only Mike Mercer's impressions (which are very positive) are based on an EL-8 production model.

Z7 is awesome though - especially at 400! Enjoy :)

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #4,528 of 9,173

It depends on your amp as planars are typically harder to drive. The HE 560 is fantastic and I keep hearing that the HE 400i is a fantastic headphone with more bass emphasis so perhaps if you like the Z7 that might be worthwhile. While less comfortable than the HE 560 the LCD 2 is also worth considering. I know the 560 and the LCD 2 are out of your stated price range, but used you can find them at good prices and some new sellers are open to offers if you e-mail them and ask for their best price.

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #4,529 of 9,173
Has anyone compared the WA6 against the WA7 for the Z7? What were your impressions?

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #4,530 of 9,173
How come live registrations often have much better sound than studio recordings?
Oh well, this track sounds wonderful with the Z7s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back