Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 4, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #4,487 of 9,173
whats your MDR-Z7 serial number? Mine is 3369...considered early batch?!

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #4,488 of 9,173
My serial number is 495, and I only got it a few weeks ago. 

Are there differences in the batches? I don't think so, but maybe someone has heard a difference between a 300 and a 15000 series?

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #4,489 of 9,173
  My serial number is 495, and I only got it a few weeks ago. 

Are there differences in the batches? I don't think so, but maybe someone has heard a difference between a 300 and a 15000 series?

Wow, yours is very very early batch. 

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #4,491 of 9,173
I had a Z7 "wow" moment yesterday:

I was so engrossed with Sting's bass guitar play in this song.  He's playing in a dropped register, and it's often missed.  But the Z7 really makes it noticed and and easy to hear each note, and not a low hum.

Don't know if youtube will do it justice...

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #4,493 of 9,173
Anyone else find a cable supplier yet that can make a short (2') soft/flexy cable for these yet?  The Surf Cable was nice but way too stiff for my liking and intended use as my portable setup solution where I have my iPod/Arrow 3G amp in an armband.  I've been using the Denon D600 short cable and it is great for it but want a really short version. 

I've got an email out to Ted at Headphone Lounge but thought I'd check if anyone had found one already. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #4,494 of 9,173
  Anyone else find a cable supplier yet that can make a short (2') soft/flexy cable for these yet?  The Surf Cable was nice but way too stiff for my liking and intended use as my portable setup solution where I have my iPod/Arrow 3G amp in an armband.  I've been using the Denon D600 short cable and it is great for it but want a really short version. 

I've got an email out to Ted at Headphone Lounge but thought I'd check if anyone had found one already. 

Suggest that you phone Redco Audio in Stratford, CT.

The website is great, but for these headphones you might
want to speak with a human.  And they are truly experts
with cabling.

Toll Free:1-800-572-7280
Local:1-203-502-7600

http://www.redco.com/home.php

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #4,495 of 9,173

Suggest that you phone Redco Audio in Stratford, CT.

The website is great, but for these headphones you might
want to speak with a human.  And they are truly experts
with cabling.

Toll Free:1-800-572-7280
Local:1-203-502-7600

http://www.redco.com/home.php

Thx. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #4,497 of 9,173
  If you had to, which of the two (Z7/Z5) would you keep for both portable and home usage based purely off sound?

I am a bit late there, but since I have owned both for several months now : if you want to use it both for portable and home usage as dweaver I'd say definitely the Z5, I know you specified based purely on sound but I don't think the Z7 would be practical to use portable and I also think that you're not trading off sound quality. Another aspect is that you'll need an amp to properly drive the Z7, which adds to the bulk and budget. Z5 will sound great out of a decent player.

Z7 and Z5 share common qualities but have slightly different sound sigs :

1. Z7 has a wider soundstage (but not by that much considering we're talking full size headphone vs IEM), smoother bass and overall a more laid back character (both are non fatiguing though) as well as a slightly more "coherent" sound. Comfort is also better IMHO, but it's a strong point of the Z7 and the Z5 comfort depend on your ears and personal perferences in terms of tips (the Z5 are comfy enough especially with alternate tips, but not up to the comfy pads on the Z7)

2. Z5 is not as wide in terms of soundstage but I would say that there is better depth (crazy, since the Z7 are very nice already in that department), the Z5 have that 3D sound quality that is so enthralling. They're wide and deep but intimate like a small concert venue :) I find trebles have more sparkle than the Z7 (it gives better "air") and bass is tighter / punchier.

One thing is for sure, I have owned some very good IEMs like IE800 and SE846, but the Z5 is the only IEM I have owned that give me full sized like bass and such a 3D soundstage (It's even better when you have a nice dac / amp, run balanced on the PHA-3 they truly shine). That's the first IEM that I would make me forget about owning a full sized headphone. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #4,498 of 9,173
I am a bit late there, but since I have owned both for several months now : if you want to use it both for portable and home usage as dweaver I'd say definitely the Z5, I know you specified based purely on sound but I don't think the Z7 would be practical to use portable and I also think that you're not trading off sound quality. Another aspect is that you'll need an amp to properly drive the Z7, which adds to the bulk and budget. Z5 will sound great out of a decent player.

• Z7 has a wider soundstage (but not by that much considering we're talking full size headphone vs IEM), smoother bass and overall a more laid back character (both are non fatiguing though) as well as a slightly more "coherent" sound. Comfort is also better IMHO, but it's a strong point of the Z7 and the Z5 comfort depend on your ears and personal perferences in terms of tips (the Z5 are comfy enough especially with alternate tips, but not up to the comfy pads on the Z7)

• Z5 is not as wide in terms of soundstage but I would say that there is better depth (crazy, since the Z7 are very nice already in that department), the Z5 have that 3D sound quality that is so enthralling. They're wide and deep but intimate like a small concert venue :) I find trebles have more sparkle than the Z7 (it gives better "air") and bass is tighter / punchier.

One thing is for sure, I have owned some very good IEMs like IE800 and SE846, but the Z5 is the only IEM I have owned that give me full sized like bass and such a 3D soundstage (It's even better when you have a nice dac / amp, run balanced on the PHA-3 they truly shine). That's the first IEM that I would make me forget about owning a full sized headphone. 
I agree on all points.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #4,499 of 9,173

1. Z7 has a wider soundstage (but not by that much considering we're talking full size headphone vs IEM), smoother bass and overall a more laid back character (both are non fatiguing though) as well as a slightly more "coherent" sound. Comfort is also better IMHO, but it's a strong point of the Z7 and the Z5 comfort depend on your ears and personal perferences in terms of tips (the Z5 are comfy enough especially with alternate tips, but not up to the comfy pads on the Z7)

2. Z5 is not as wide in terms of soundstage but I would say that there is better depth (crazy, since the Z7 are very nice already in that department), the Z5 have that 3D sound quality that is so enthralling. They're wide and deep but intimate like a small concert venue :) I find trebles have more sparkle than the Z7 (it gives better "air") and bass is tighter / punchier.

Thanks for the input, making me glad that a pair of Z5 will be on my doorstep tomorrow!

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #4,500 of 9,173
Thanks for the input, making me glad that a pair of Z5 will be on my doorstep tomorrow!

Glad I can help, after all I decided to get mine thanks to dweaver's input (thanks for that, by the way !), that's the great value of the community :)

One word I thought about yesterday listening to the Z5 is holographic, I sometimes have "aha" out of your head moments with them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back