Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 28, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #4,471 of 9,173
Hi all, this is my very first post in this forum. I want to share my experience of this headphone.

I bought a Z7 as the Christmas gift for myself. Connected with the Kimber Kable from TEAC HA-P50 which is used as a USB DAC, I found there was some rattle sound from the right channel of the headphone. Even though I connected the right channel of the headphone to the LEFT channel of the cable, the problem was still there.

Actually the rattle sound appears when some strong bass, about about 20Hz, is played. The headphone is used for over 200 hours, I believe it is not caused by "not burn-in" effect. A few day ago I decided to send the headphone to repair. The CS was nice and told me that this is the very first case for this headphone. As they do not have spare parts (even for the cable!), they have to order the drivers (from Japan? I don't know) and decide to change both of them. Until now I still do not get my Z7 back.

Do your headphone have this problem? Sorry if you cannot understand my word. (I do not speak English)

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #4,472 of 9,173
  Hi all, this is my very first post in this forum. I want to share my experience of this headphone.

I bought a Z7 as the Christmas gift for myself. Connected with the Kimber Kable from TEAC HA-P50 which is used as a USB DAC, I found there was some rattle sound from the right channel of the headphone. Even though I connected the right channel of the headphone to the LEFT channel of the cable, the problem was still there.

Actually the rattle sound appears when some strong bass, about about 20Hz, is played. The headphone is used for over 200 hours, I believe it is not caused by "not burn-in" effect. A few day ago I decided to send the headphone to repair. The CS was nice and told me that this is the very first case for this headphone. As they do not have spare parts (even for the cable!), they have to order the drivers (from Japan? I don't know) and decide to change both of them. Until now I still do not get my Z7 back.

Do your headphone have this problem? Sorry if you cannot understand my word. (I do not speak English)

I've heard of a similar thing from the little kid with glasses on YouTube

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #4,473 of 9,173

Earlier in the thread, someone else had the same issue.  I believe it was the thin cover for one of the bass ports that came loose and vibrated.  I think he fixed it himself, but not sure...

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #4,474 of 9,173

Earlier in the thread, someone else had the same issue.  I believe it was the thin cover for one of the bass ports that came loose and vibrated.  I think he fixed it himself, but not sure...

I know there are bass ports and did try to cover them (at least by my fingers) for testing, but the issue is still there.

I also own a pair of 1R (the original version). There are similar issue which appears on the right channel.

Is this issue commonly seen on LCP diaphragm?

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #4,475 of 9,173
I've heard of a similar thing from the little kid with glasses on YouTube

Yes my friend. I think this may be what you speak of?
Anyhow. No problems yet. You?
http://youtu.be/mgCAWGNjZEk

Must be early stock that has this issue.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #4,476 of 9,173

I know there are bass ports and did try to cover them (at least by my fingers) for testing, but the issue is still there.

I also own a pair of 1R (the original version). There are similar issue which appears on the right channel.

Is this issue commonly seen on LCP diaphragm?

Its a cover on the inside of the cup.  You'd have to open up the headphone to access it...

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #4,477 of 9,173
Its a cover on the inside of the cup.  You'd have to open up the headphone to access it...

Thank you guys! But I am quite sure that the issue is caused by the diaphragm itself as the rattle sound comes with the movement of diaphragm. Or it is hard to explain why the rattle sound is still here even the ports are covered.

My 1R has no warranty now so I use the Panasonic RP-HD 10 as an upgrade (or substitute) instead. My experience with this LCP diaphragm is rather disappointing.

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #4,482 of 9,173

Enjoying this combo a lot right now, hooked up with AudioQuest Coffee USB

This exact combination was going to be my next purchase.
I ordered them both from Amazon.
My order got delayed so I cancelled it and purchased the Fostex TH900 and HP-A8 instead.
I am very happy with the Fostex pairing but I am really curious about your setup as well.
My poor wallet is hiding in the corner.

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #4,483 of 9,173
Having owned the XBA-Z5 for a couple months, I am now interested in the Z7 as well.  I'm intrigued by the improvements due to the mods that have been done.  Thanks all for sharing impressions.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #4,485 of 9,173
Anyway, has anybody tried create a balanced converter from 4XLR to dual 3,5mm for centrance m8? I'm a lil' bit dubious about the "balanced" schematic in z7 -_-.

I use my Z7 almost exclusively on my HiFi-M8.  And I'm not overly concerned about a cable change (other then length and maybe going silver).  Michael has pointed out that the M8 is only "impedance balanced" with the same amount of power feeding the balanced and unbalanced outputs.

I suspect that there is less of a benefit switching connectors, then with many other portable amps...

It's a great combo.  And it gets more and more of my head time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back