Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 7, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #4,501 of 9,173

I am a bit late there, but since I have owned both for several months now : if you want to use it both for portable and home usage as dweaver I'd say definitely the Z5, I know you specified based purely on sound but I don't think the Z7 would be practical to use portable and I also think that you're not trading off sound quality. Another aspect is that you'll need an amp to properly drive the Z7, which adds to the bulk and budget. Z5 will sound great out of a decent player.

Z7 and Z5 share common qualities but have slightly different sound sigs :

1. Z7 has a wider soundstage (but not by that much considering we're talking full size headphone vs IEM), smoother bass and overall a more laid back character (both are non fatiguing though) as well as a slightly more "coherent" sound. Comfort is also better IMHO, but it's a strong point of the Z7 and the Z5 comfort depend on your ears and personal perferences in terms of tips (the Z5 are comfy enough especially with alternate tips, but not up to the comfy pads on the Z7)

2. Z5 is not as wide in terms of soundstage but I would say that there is better depth (crazy, since the Z7 are very nice already in that department), the Z5 have that 3D sound quality that is so enthralling. They're wide and deep but intimate like a small concert venue :) I find trebles have more sparkle than the Z7 (it gives better "air") and bass is tighter / punchier.

One thing is for sure, I have owned some very good IEMs like IE800 and SE846, but the Z5 is the only IEM I have owned that give me full sized like bass and such a 3D soundstage (It's even better when you have a nice dac / amp, run balanced on the PHA-3 they truly shine). That's the first IEM that I would make me forget about owning a full sized headphone. 

I agree on all points too .. well written and described :)
I don't think I've had a headphone like the Z7 where I forgot I had it on my head .. 
I was repeating this song over and over and it just sounds superb and very engaging... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOd-rz8lDXQ
Z5 and 846 also sound excellent on it too of course ... all so very enjoyable.

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #4,502 of 9,173
Glad I can help, after all I decided to get mine thanks to dweaver's input (thanks for that, by the way !), that's the great value of the community :)

One word I thought about yesterday listening to the Z5 is holographic, I sometimes have "aha" out of your head moments with them!

They can be a bit euphoric at tines.
I can feel the pleasure endorphins kick in.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #4,503 of 9,173

Glad I can help, after all I decided to get mine thanks to dweaver's input (thanks for that, by the way !), that's the great value of the community :)

One word I thought about yesterday listening to the Z5 is holographic, I sometimes have "aha" out of your head moments with them!

Now you're just talking dirty to me!

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4,504 of 9,173
Love this setup~~!!!

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #4,506 of 9,173

I am a bit late there, but since I have owned both for several months now : if you want to use it both for portable and home usage as dweaver I'd say definitely the Z5, I know you specified based purely on sound but I don't think the Z7 would be practical to use portable and I also think that you're not trading off sound quality. Another aspect is that you'll need an amp to properly drive the Z7, which adds to the bulk and budget. Z5 will sound great out of a decent player.

Z7 and Z5 share common qualities but have slightly different sound sigs :

1. Z7 has a wider soundstage (but not by that much considering we're talking full size headphone vs IEM), smoother bass and overall a more laid back character (both are non fatiguing though) as well as a slightly more "coherent" sound. Comfort is also better IMHO, but it's a strong point of the Z7 and the Z5 comfort depend on your ears and personal perferences in terms of tips (the Z5 are comfy enough especially with alternate tips, but not up to the comfy pads on the Z7)

2. Z5 is not as wide in terms of soundstage but I would say that there is better depth (crazy, since the Z7 are very nice already in that department), the Z5 have that 3D sound quality that is so enthralling. They're wide and deep but intimate like a small concert venue :) I find trebles have more sparkle than the Z7 (it gives better "air") and bass is tighter / punchier.

One thing is for sure, I have owned some very good IEMs like IE800 and SE846, but the Z5 is the only IEM I have owned that give me full sized like bass and such a 3D soundstage (It's even better when you have a nice dac / amp, run balanced on the PHA-3 they truly shine). That's the first IEM that I would make me forget about owning a full sized headphone. 

That the first thing I said I when I put them on, I said, "These things are 3D!"
L3000.gif

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #4,509 of 9,173
  It appears to be very hifi while its price is not so firm. I am more interested in how to drive my d7100 to a level rather than buy a z7.

Have you started a thread and asked for some advice?

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #4,510 of 9,173
Serial number 198 here.  Early adopter, bought them from Sony as soon as they were released...............for $699. 

Tho I felt they are worth it, it's a bit of a bummer they are available for $499 now.  Ah, the cost of being first in line. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,512 of 9,173
I don't understand how anyone (the one's who dislike the MDR-Z7s) can find MDR-Z7's bass to be overpowering, loose and flabby?
Having listened exclusively to my A900XS for the last couple of weeks and only just today to the Sony's again I'm having very little difficulty to adjust to their character and I feel they are nicely balanced. 
Classical music is handled beautifully, Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe (Boulez) sound wonderful, MDR-Z7's soundstage is something special!

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #4,513 of 9,173
It's quite easily actually.  From my experience in particular, I had 3 years of Planar Magnetic listening that my ears were accustomed to.  The closed, resonant and high distortion of the bass of the Z7 was an instant alarm when first hearing the Z7.  I'm sure you could picture how stark of a difference that is, when you're used to linear bas with no distortion and fast decay of an open planar for so long, and you go right to the Z7.

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4,514 of 9,173
I really like the Z7's bass response.

However, I do have a lot of experience with Sony headphones, and their new house sound in particular. So I'm used to this kind of sound. 

Going back to a planar magnetic like the Oppo PM-3 is a downgrade for me! 

Edit: I you have ever heard the Sony MDR-10R with that extreme bass response, the Z7's are very neutral. Also, in comparison with the Fidelio X2, the bass is better on the Z7. And the soundstage is more or less the same, and that for a closed headphone! It's quite something. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back