Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 16, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #3,662 of 9,173
I had a quick listen and had my TH600 with me to compare. The sony is quite a bit harder to drive. The Sony missed that sparke up top and sounds rolled off in the highs. There's a lot more mid bass in the Sony but less sub bass. There's more detail in the TH600. The Sony is very easy to listen to, isolated better and slightly more comfy. The Sony may be a bit too laid back for my liking. Still would be a good buy at $400 but my TH600 is better in most ways so no real point in me having another closed can for my train journey everyday

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #3,663 of 9,173
I had a quick listen and had my TH600 with me to compare. The sony is quite a bit harder to drive. The Sony missed that sparke up top and sounds rolled off in the highs. There's a lot more mid bass in the Sony but less sub bass. There's more detail in the TH600. The Sony is very easy to listen to, isolated better and slightly more comfy. The Sony may be a bit too laid back for my liking. Still would be a good buy at $400 but my TH600 is better in most ways so no real point in me having another closed can for my train journey everyday

If you like sparkly highs, then the TH-600s would be the way to go (I own the TH-900s). But the Z7s have more "natural" overall sound and the mids on the Z7 are better to my ears. The TH-900s have better bass and soundstaging. 

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #3,664 of 9,173
  No, I dont think Z7's cable can work with 1R. There are many after market cables for 1R though.

Okay thanks hmm found some little surprise in my MDR-1R box

the standard cable (not the smartphone one) came in separate baggie with a sticker on it LIMITED TIME OFFER, EXCLUSIVE CONNECTING CORD (OFERTA LIMITADA CABLE DE CONEXIÓN EXCLUSIVO) hmmm wonder what is that, I note the cable i was thicker than the smathphone one

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,665 of 9,173
  Awesome, thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm just uncertain whether or not I should wait for "The King". I'm hoping to establish my first real set-up for games and music, and if Sony has an even better headphone coming out maybe I should save up some more and just go all out. I'm not looking to make a huge investment in the MDR-Z7's (PHA-3 & Kimber Cables included) only to turn around and find that a better pair of cans are available. I would have to sell the MDR-Z7 set-up to come close to being able to afford the King's. I have the funds at the moment for a one-time shot at this.

What do you guys think? Wait for "The King" or pull the trigger now?

You may get Z7 + Kimber Cable for about $650 CAD total now, and this price will be going down next year. 

A new king may be a wooden enhanced version which costs as same as TH900's price level.

You should go to a local Sony store to test Z7 first anyway.

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3,668 of 9,173
If you like sparkly highs, then the TH-600s would be the way to go (I own the TH-900s). But the Z7s have more "natural" overall sound and the mids on the Z7 are better to my ears. The TH-900s have better bass and soundstaging. 

Yes the mids on the Sony are thicker sounding. I have yet to hear the TH900 but the TH600 is cleaner sounding (for lack of better words) and probably more suited to trance music which is 80% of what I listen to when on the go. I'm using these cans as my portable.

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #3,669 of 9,173
Yes the mids on the Sony are thicker sounding. I have yet to hear the TH900 but the TH600 is cleaner sounding (for lack of better words) and probably more suited to trance music which is 80% of what I listen to when on the go. I'm using these cans as my portable.

I wouldn't say thicker (maybe they are a touch), but not recessed "V" like as they are on both the TH900/600.

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3,670 of 9,173
Haha, yeah I know what you mean. I've been saving up for this for so long I'm just a little eager to finally pull the trigger thats all. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it!

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #3,671 of 9,173

I used to own the TH600 for half a year but sold it as I couldn't get used to the mids suck out.
Technically, the 600 is better than Z7 except for the mids.
If you can get used to the mids of TH600/900, the Z7 is not for you.

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #3,672 of 9,173

I thought the Z7 walked all over my TH900 as far as balance goes..not sure what the 600 does though, never heard them.

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #3,673 of 9,173

I thought the Z7 walked all over my TH900 as far as balance goes..not sure what the 600 does though, never heard them.

Think TH900s, just not as good. Not too far behind, but the bass doesn't go as deep, nor is as controlled. And the soundstaging seems a bit wider and more coherent on the TH900s. 

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #3,674 of 9,173
  So technically, either way I should wait (either for the price to drop on the Z7's or for the king to reveal itself)?

i am with u on this ... wait for the last trumpet,
then the price will drop... then u have another problem..
there will be a queen...maybe...or a king's king. 
It is part of the great torture in headfi. ENJOY  the wait !!

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #3,675 of 9,173
Well I'm going to now keep using my TH600 now that ive heard the Z7. No need to upgrade because there is no upgrade IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back