Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 15, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,648 of 9,173
the price will settle down to this ...lets set up camp.
popcorn.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #3,650 of 9,173
I'll spill, I'm a member of Sony X, which is an invite only club within Sony. They give you access to discounts all year round, though a few times a year they have sales on top of that, and right now is one of those sales. http://www.facebook.com/sonyxaustralia

How does one get an invite? And is the sale still going?

If so, can you get me one?! (either the invite or the $383 z7!) :wink:

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #3,651 of 9,173
How does one get an invite? And is the sale still going?

I'd shoot the FB page a message, though it's only available if you're an Australian citizen, and completely at their discretion. Sale goes for the whole of December.

I've been using the Z7 more with my PC and the Xonar D2X, and it seems with a bit more volume it does pair quite well, very impressive stuff. These headphones are ruining all my other headphones. Surprisingly, I find them somewhat similar to my TF10 sound signature wise, which is definitely not a bad thing as I love my TF10's, especially for commuting. 

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #3,652 of 9,173

Some pics I took yesterday. To add to my previous thoughts, these things are amazingly solidly built. They just ooze luxury. And I personally think they look very pretty aesthetically. I might be getting a little infatuated... 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #3,655 of 9,173
Hey guys,

Considering buying a pair of these. I read earlier in the thread that something referred to as "the king" might be coming from Sony later in 2015. Is that the case? If not I would definitely consider picking these up.

Also, has anyone gamed with these? I would be using them with a PS4 and was wondering if they were any good considering they are "closed". Mad Lust Envy's guide states that open headphones are better for gaming, but I just love the look of these.

Also, are the Kimber Cables worth it? Just pondering the amount of damage I'm willing to do to my wallet.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #3,656 of 9,173
Hey guys,

Considering buying a pair of these. I read earlier in the thread that something referred to as "the king" might be coming from Sony later in 2015. Is that the case? If not I would definitely consider picking these up.

Also, has anyone gamed with these? I would be using them with a PS4 and was wondering if they were any good considering they are "closed". Mad Lust Envy's guide states that open headphones are better for gaming, but I just love the look of these.

Also, are the Kimber Cables worth it? Just pondering the amount of damage I'm willing to do to my wallet.

I have done some light gaming with these, and can confirm they do very well here. The soundstage helps them reproduce direction in a game like Far Cry 4 quite well - from what I read open back cans are meant to be better for sound stage in general, which is probably why they are recommended over closed back for gaming, to help with positional audio. The semi closed design of the Z7 seems to help give them a wider soundstage, and I could easily identify where sounds were coming from in game.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #3,657 of 9,173
Yes, many trusted sources have confirmed that Sony's planning on the new king and some also believe that Z7 is kind of a test of the market for deciding whether a new king should be introduced or not.

For gaming, I don't play games so I cannot answer your question.

For the Kimber Cables, JUST go get it, period. I listened to my Z7 with balanced Kimber Cable (cable belongs to my friend) connected to LUXMAN P-700u (belongs to my father) two weeks ago when I back home and ordered my own Kimber Cable unbalanced version the day after. It really really made things different, I was totally shocked, and after that I understood the reason why some reviews say Z7 is a competitor of HD700. TBH, before listening to this combo, I thought this statement was a joke but this Kimber Cable does blow me away. In short, this combo, made Z7 sounds much flatter and overall well controlled, it makes Z7 more like a flagship under the upcoming king. 

Anyway, if you are in North America, go to Sony's official website and search Z7, they just have these cables in stock and ready to ship today.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #3,658 of 9,173
I'll spill, I'm a member of Sony X, which is an invite only club within Sony. They give you access to discounts all year round, though a few times a year they have sales on top of that, and right now is one of those sales. http://www.facebook.com/sonyxaustralia

Mate if you give me your name they can look it up and the sony kiosk says they may give it to me at the same price

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #3,659 of 9,173
Awesome, thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm just uncertain whether or not I should wait for "The King". I'm hoping to establish my first real set-up for games and music, and if Sony has an even better headphone coming out maybe I should save up some more and just go all out. I'm not looking to make a huge investment in the MDR-Z7's (PHA-3 & Kimber Cables included) only to turn around and find that a better pair of cans are available. I would have to sell the MDR-Z7 set-up to come close to being able to afford the King's. I have the funds at the moment for a one-time shot at this.

What do you guys think? Wait for "The King" or pull the trigger now?

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #3,660 of 9,173
  Yes, many trusted sources have confirmed that Sony's planning on the new king and some also believe that Z7 is kind of a test of the market for deciding whether a new king should be introduced or not.

For gaming, I don't play games so I cannot answer your question.

For the Kimber Cables, JUST go get it, period. I listened to my Z7 with balanced Kimber Cable (cable belongs to my friend) connected to LUXMAN P-700u (belongs to my father) two weeks ago when I back home and ordered my own Kimber Cable unbalanced version the day after. It really really made things different, I was totally shocked, and after that I understood the reason why some reviews say Z7 is a competitor of HD700. TBH, before listening to this combo, I thought this statement was a joke but this Kimber Cable does blow me away. In short, this combo ,made Z7 sounds more flatter and overall well controlled, it feels more like a flagship just under the king. 

Anyway, if you are in North America, go to Sony's official website and search Z7, they just have these cables in stock and ready to ship today.

Do the Unbalanced kimber cables work for the MDR-1R? i am currently using the stock cable, connected to my laptop and i can hear subtle nunances of the room reverb and instrument reverb[?] and plectra plicking strings, the keys noises and mechabics of the harpsichord, soo nice, for being just the stock cable and laptop direct (no bypassing the DAC).

I don't want to lie but i dont know if such a thing as instrument reverb exists (perhaps internal resonance) but he 1R give me Live-experience (16/44.1 flac) as I was with the performer while she played the Harpsichord

Users who are viewing this thread

Back