Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 11, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #3,601 of 9,173
  Do you think if we buffed the surface we would rub off the black / silver and achieve shiny? 

You go first and let us know
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #3,603 of 9,173
Magnesium is generally grayish.  I expect the cans are made of some amalgam (mixture) that's largely magnesium.  Those early units might have been magnesium...might have been aluminum though....who knows.

Be sure and have a drink before you start sanding....you might need it.  Then you can feed the animals pictures here...

biggrin.gif

HS

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #3,604 of 9,173
  These are really cool speakers, how do they sound? They remind of those fancy Sony cassette, CD, and MD players from the 1990's. There is certainly something special about Made in Japan !!!

Not good at describing sound, but they definitely sound clean and detailed.
It uses 4x the copper because it's a square driver with 4 individual sides.
I think they sound better than the Z7, but they are speakers, got them for $80 on eBay.
They do require a sub with them for best sound tho. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #3,605 of 9,173
Wow $80 speakers beating your $700 headphones! Them must have been a Heck of a deal I assume!

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #3,606 of 9,173
Wow $80 speakers beating your $700 headphones! Them must have been a Heck of a deal I assume!

They are a ported speaker with dedicated tweeter, also I have them connected to a separate Altec Lansing sub woofer for volume, treble and bass adjust. 

No idea how much they might have been new, not too much info on square plane Accurate Pistonic Motion drivers.
In Japanese: http://homepage2.nifty.com/k-ooki/apm/

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #3,607 of 9,173
Lately tried swapping the pads with the beyer T1 velour pad (yes the size is about the same) and wow quite surprise on how it sound differently LOL.

Best use with leather pad i think, with velour pad it sound more "harsh", "thin" and a bit grainy, lose the bass impact greatly too overall it lose it's magic.

Now really want to invest the original pads if they sold for replacement :D

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,608 of 9,173
Sorry if this has been asked before... I've done a 'Search this thread' but came up with nothing...

Has anyone compared the Z7 to the Sony MDR-1A?

I have the 1A and am curious if the Z7 would offer a significant upgrade for when I'm listening at home out of an amp?

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #3,609 of 9,173
Sorry if this has been asked before... I've done a 'Search this thread' but came up with nothing...

Has anyone compared the Z7 to the Sony MDR-1A?

I have the 1A and am curious if the Z7 would offer a significant upgrade for when I'm listening at home out of an amp?

Hmm for me the Z7 is more similar to 1R but with turbocharge machine while the 1A have more treble presence and lower bass impact (a bit overwhelming for me, let say its more similar to vmoda m100).

if you're enjoying the 1R or even the MA900 then you'll enjoy the Z7.

and yes for "me" it's an upgrade option.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3,610 of 9,173
Hmm for me the Z7 is more similar to 1R but with turbocharge machine while the 1A have more treble presence and lower bass impact (a bit overwhelming for me, let say its more similar to vmoda m100).

if you're enjoying the 1R or even the MA900 then you'll enjoy the Z7.

and yes for "me" it's an upgrade option.

Thanks for the insight.

I've never heard the 1R or MA900 unfortunately.

If the Z7 has more bass impact that would be fantastic....although I am pretty happy with the 1A treble... I wouldn't want much less if I was to go with the Z7.

I just wish there were some local shops where I could take a listen to the Z7 for myself!

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #3,611 of 9,173
The 1A has more prominent treble than the Z7 at least initially but the Z7 bass settled down and the treble becomes more prominent over time so in the end I think it would be an upgrade over the 1A in all areas.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #3,615 of 9,173
owners of z7...can u briefly comment about the center imaging of the z7? 
i passed by a shop yesterday with the z7 set up with the sony amp n player..loaded with their sampling songs..
the sound was enveloping from behind my ears..all over...the imaging of the singer i cant get a good fix..
maybe it is the songs they loaded..?

There are a few units on the web for around 500bucks ..tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back