Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #1,862 of 9,173
Nitpickyness? Sure thing.

They're not purple, the cups aren't wooden, the balance connection is proprietary, not this level of quality and Bluetooth aptx... Can't think of other things to nitpick about.
biggrin.gif

i meant about the sound lol!! the thing is that different people have different sonic preferences so knowing the details beyond that they fit his preferences very well & the pros is always appreciated! :)

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,863 of 9,173
  hahah i didn't mean it in a negative way. i am really happy he is loving his headphones!!!!

would just love some nitpickyness :D heh

Well, he did say that he doubts Z7 will beat his HE-6. Whether he'll be able to put that je ne sais quoi into words is another matter entirely :wink:

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,864 of 9,173
Relative price-point may be coloring perceptions here; at least it is influencing comparisons.  The Z7 is less than US$500 here in Japan so the HD700 comparisons seem very unrealistic to me.  (not to mention HE-6 comparisons)

I`d be much more interested in a comparison with something like the Shure 1540 or Foxtex TH600.  

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #1,865 of 9,173
  Relative price-point may be coloring perceptions here; at least it is influencing comparisons.  The Z7 is less than US$500 here in Japan so the HD700 comparisons seem very unrealistic to me.  (not to mention HE-6 comparisons)

I`d be much more interested in a comparison with something like the Shure 1540 or Foxtex TH600.  

yeaaaa... i think comparing any closed pair of headphones to a TOTL open flagship... mmm... doesnt seem like it can end well.

edit: though diminishing returns & sound sig preferences do play a large factor. price per dollar is always delish! :)

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,868 of 9,173

Bill I like to go by this. Not sure if you're a lefty or not but I have the same problem and I am a lefty. Not to derail the subject lol

Well, I'm a righty.

But I do have very particular taste in sound.

Very few headphones can satisfy my ears, and I'm hoping the Z7 will be the closed-back full-size to do so, so that I can end my search.

I have a closed-back portable headphone and a full-size open headphone already, but having something full-size and in-between would be wonderful. And especially if I don't have to tweak or mod it.

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #1,869 of 9,173
Hey guys, "new" user here so I'm not sure if deal discussion is allowed within a headphone discussion thread.

Anyhow, I figured for those who are deciding whether to get these or not...perhaps a lower price might be entice you (fellow Canadians)
While Sony is selling at $699, this also applies for other stores like B&H and Amazon. NCIX also had it at $799........however, I was browsing at that site again and now it's selling the Z7 for $529.99 CAD. After tax price comes to about $600. 

I hope the link works, and I hope I'm not upsetting anyone either. 

http://www.ncix.com/detail/sony-mdrz7-ultimate-hi-res-headphones-d9-102838-1707.htm

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,870 of 9,173

Well, I'm a righty.

But I do have very particular taste in sound.

Very few headphones can satisfy my ears, and I'm hoping the Z7 will be the closed-back full-size to do so, so that I can end my search.

I have a closed-back portable headphone and a full-size open headphone already, but having something full-size and in-between would be wonderful. And especially if I don't have to tweak or mod it.

Bill I think what you need is a W1000 and a 12" sub at your feet lol, that might be your best bet. Your niehgbors might supsect you or some strange magic or something lol

No I respect Bills views and I hope this can is end game for you, so I can snatch up all your modded wood backs <3 

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #1,872 of 9,173

I can't believe Z7 is being mentioned in the same sentence as HD700

?
This is sarcasm? 

Anyway, I agree with Fegefeuer - the HD700 sounded pretty awful to me.  It drove me toward the HD800, which may have been Sennheiser`s market-positioning strategy.  

Anyway, can anyone compare the Z7 to comparable closed HPs ?    I`m not going to make it to the shops today like I had planned . .  . 

Itching for more Z7 impressions,

d

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,873 of 9,173

?
This is sarcasm? 

Anyway, I agree with Fegefeuer - the HD700 sounded pretty awful to me.  It drove me toward the HD800, which may have been Sennheiser`s market-positioning strategy.  

Anyway, can anyone compare the Z7 to comparable closed HPs ?    I`m not going to make it to the shops today like I had planned . .  . 

Itching for more Z7 impressions,

d

well guys guess what... the ATH W1000Z is being released, and guess what price bracket it's in :/ 

I freaking swear this is nutz like every one over there it prepping for a Over Run of the Audio Market :D, let's hope the W1000Z and MDR Z7 [Z and Z ] have a touch of contrasting sound, as we don't need ATH and Sony pumpin out the same Sound sig... 

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #1,874 of 9,173
  well guys guess what... the ATH W1000Z is being released, and guess what price bracket it's in :/ 

I freaking swear this is nutz like every one over there it prepping for a Over Run of the Audio Market :D, let's hope the W1000Z and MDR Z7 [Z and Z ] have a touch of contrasting sound, as we don't need ATH and Sony pumpin out the same Sound sig... 

Oh for eff`s sake.  

Decision paralysis; 1st-world dilemmas. 

Fotex TH600
Senn DJ H8
Shure 1540
Sony Z7 
Ultrasone 880

Now this ATH.  At least it has fixed cable and that wonky headband : should make it easier to disqualify.  It`s become race of attrition.....

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #1,875 of 9,173

Oh for eff`s sake.  

Decision paralysis; 1st-world dilemmas. 

Fotex TH600
Senn DJ H8
Shure 1540
Sony Z7 
Ultrasone 880

Now this ATH.  At least it has fixed cable and that wonky headband : should make it easier to disqualify.  It`s become race of attrition.....

See here'e the fun part. I need To Recable the MDR Z7 so fixed cable, detachable cable... makes no differance to me really :/

Next Part, the head band. I actually like the Wing System Head Band. It works wonders for my head size thankfully so comfort wise nothing has even been as light on my head as the W1000X I Have now, the only real issue left is tone... :/ 

YAY 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back