Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 12, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #1,591 of 9,173
Agreed, although I thought Betamax was a universal format that lost out to another, VHS...  

And it would seem they have `learned` : that new walkman has an SD slot and micro USB for data transfer and charging....  It`s like iBasso and Fiio are driving the industry these days.....  

Well said..:)

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #1,592 of 9,173
Loved the new Z7 on demo at RMAF on days 2&3. Had two listening sessions totalling some 45 minutes. It is a slightly dark phone similar to the MA900, but cleaner in all regards. Treble is better extended and smoother, bass is more impactful and textured, though certainly elevated in volume. If you know me, you know I don't like heavy bass phones. This one isn't, but it does have a strong presence. The soundstage is similar to MA900s as well due to the angled drivers. It is a little smaller due to being closed, but certainly still at least a medium if put on a scale.

The cans are average in weight for a full size dynamic. The pads are soft and well sealing, not sweat inducing, and the clamp is secure enough to hold in place, but not remotely painful.

Nice job, Sony. It is going to be hard to resist buying one.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #1,594 of 9,173
Loved the new Z7 on demo at RMAF on days 2&3. Had two listening sessions totalling some 45 minutes. It is a slightly dark phone similar to the MA900, but cleaner in all regards. Treble is better extended and smoother, bass is more impactful and textured, though certainly elevated in volume. If you know me, you know I don't like heavy bass phones. This one isn't, but it does have a strong presence. The soundstage is similar to MA900s as well due to the angled drivers. It is a little smaller due to being closed, but certainly still at least a medium if put on a scale.

The cans are average in weight for a full size dynamic. The pads are soft and well sealing, not sweat inducing, and the clamp is secure enough to hold in place, but not remotely painful.

Nice job, Sony. It is going to be hard to resist buying one.

Hm... if you don't mind me asking, how would you compare the Sony Z7 to the Sennheiser HD600?

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #1,595 of 9,173
Max nailed it. My impressions were very similar. Bass has authority without overpowering the mix. Instruments are articulate, nuanced, and have good separation. Soundstage was fairly large despite being a closed can (not sure if the player or amp had any form of crossfeed circuit enabled) and positional cues were solid. Voices sounded great.

My overall impression: shut up and take my money! (As soon as I get buy-off from the Ministry of Finance). :wink:

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,596 of 9,173
But is it fully closed?  Is there any confirmation on this?  Those vents . . . .    I know it isolates well, but how about leakage?  

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,597 of 9,173
  But is it fully closed?  Is there any confirmation on this?  Those vents . . . .    I know it isolates well, but how about leakage?  

why is leakage so important

do you listen to weird electronica or something

either way you're probably not going to get a trustable answer until someone has them in a quiet environment, which is probably not going to happen at CanJam

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #1,598 of 9,173
Hm... if you don't mind me asking, how would you compare the Sony Z7 to the Sennheiser HD600?

I would prefer the Sony in every case. Much clearer across the spectrum, stronger more impactful bass, just better everything, even comfort.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #1,599 of 9,173
Well, since you asked for leakage, I found these video clips...

So I would expect leakage to be quite bad, though probably not on the same level as fully open back cans.

I would prefer the Sony in every case. Much clearer across the spectrum, stronger more impactful bass, just better everything, even comfort.

Hm, so the Z7 is brighter than the HD600? That's the part I'm most concerned about.

But it's good to hear bass is above HD600, and so is comfort.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,603 of 9,173
  Better than the HD 800 in every way...

Not sure what to believe at this point...

Oops! Skimping is not good! Please note we were talking about the HD600
tongue.gif

Seriously, once I get them, I'll be doing some very extensive comparisons to my HE-560.

To me, the HE-560 is the best non-SR-009 headphone, and it is also miles better than the HD800 at pretty much everything except for a very narrow section of the treble band. And I think I may have just the right remedy for that.

So the Z7 will have some serious pre-conditioned bias to go up against.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back