Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 9, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #1,501 of 9,173

Whichever closed HP I get, the first mod will be the hirose connector.  Luckily the z7 is 4-conductor so it`s simple.

d

Very nice,

On the positive side, I had the Pb1 and I found the balanced out of the Pb1 in on par with the SE in the Pb2 xD, ofc the pb2 and DB2 must be pretty stellar, I feed my pb2 with my hm801 SE line out :[ still sounds amazing though

but yea let us know how it goes! Something you could do is maybe build a dual 3.5mm to 4pin XLR if your handy with that suff, that way you can try it with the Pb2 Balanced out, and if u like it enough you;\'ll already have the cable, and if you hate it. I promise the will sell like hot cakes when the MDR Z7 hits the market 

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #1,502 of 9,173
  #127,890 *sigh* 

anyways on topic, those of you who pre ordered, you got any tracking on those bad bois! 

Originally I had given a Oct. 2-9th as a deliver date. Amazon just send me a note that the delivery has been delayed until Nov and to verity if I still wanted them otherwise Amazon will cancel my order. I am going to the RMAF and try hearing the Z7 with a few other headphones that I am interested in.

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #1,503 of 9,173
I'm looking forward to the reviews of these, as I own both a MDR-XB1000 and a MDR-MA900. Even though Hawaiibadboy did not say these are bass kings, hopefully the MDR-Z7 will still be a good upgrade from those headphones. If not, then I'll have to save up for the Fostex TH900.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #1,504 of 9,173
Thanks for the replies. Sony iems and headphones are designed well but have lots of 'shiny' spots all around that tend to scratch easily and destroys it's beauty.
Without seeing the size the Slappa hard case should fit these perfectly as they do the Denon's.

I have the SLAPPA Hardbody Pro, which holds my TH600s and HD650s (cable detached) quite well.  I will try it when my Z7s arrive.

I'm surprised Sony is offering a matching headphone stand, but not a case.

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #1,506 of 9,173
Oh Bill, have I not told you what my Portable rig is?

I'm running a Hifiman HM801 Line out to a iBasso Pb2, LME 49960 OP Amps and Dummy Buffers [balanced out] I currently use my W1000x as my portable. Portable for me is walks on campus during a Sunny day, but mostly means sitting at a PC during School Hours doing home work or the like. But yea, Size is no concern to me as I'm walking through busy streets, or any where that I'm moving a lot. 

I've dropped a nice chunk of Coin into my portable rig, and there times when the Modded W1000x out of my portable rig sounds better than what I have at home, my HE 4 and NFB 10ES2 balanced out of course,

But, I've heard some positive, and negatives about using the MDR Z7 with "other" rigs aside from the PHA-3, and there is still the recable cost to get it to work with my existing set ups.

So, I'm keeping an open mind with regards to the MDR Z7, as Comfort on the go is important. Isolation is... important. Leakage is also kinda important, I'm on campus and most ppl have their cheap Ear Buds on max, which leak a lot. So a little leakage is acceptable, I enjoy quieter music than loud. 

But the sound signiture is what's important, the MDR Z7 will either be an upgrade to my W1000x [which I doubt it will be honestly] or if it has suifficent bass a Compliment. I'm willing to give it a chance, but I'm still leaning towards a Modded D7k 

Well, I'd love to see photos of your portable rig all connected and ready to go. :wink:
To not interfere with this threads integrity or focus you may PM myself anytime.
I use this for my travel rig at the moment. Think it could Handel those MDR's with a nice kimber cable upgrade. :wink:

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #1,507 of 9,173
I've translated some impressions posted on AndAudio, a Taiwanese audio forum. They're impressions off a demo unit at a Sony location in Ginza. Original text found here: http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=115589&start=3875. The poster has the following gear listed in his sig:

Closed: W5000/W3000ANV/W1000X/W1000/A900XLTD/A900Ti
Open: SR-507/AD2000X/AD2000/AD1000PRM/AD1000/SA3000/MA900
IEM: EX1000/CK100PRO/IM02/Aurvana-In-Ear2

Quote:

Ginza Sony MDR-Z7/... Impressions

MDR-Z7 + PHA-3, fed from Xperia Z1 using the Walkman app

Let's first address the most-anticipated Z7. Had about 20 minutes of listening time (lined up three separate times). Initial thought is that the Z7 is a well-balanced can. Lows, mids, highs are in line, no range particularly prominent, unlike mid-tier Sonys that deliberately emphasize low end rumble. Also unlike previous high-end Sonys that emphasize treble clarity and resolution. This leads me to think this would be a versatile can, with no conspicuous characteristic, it should able to present all genres rather well.

Second time around, I picked out a few test tracks that allow a better assessment of the can's sound. Was able to slowly get a handle on the Z7's traits. It has excellent separation of sound, and nice weight for full-bodied articulation, instruments such as percussion and piano sound solid with clear outlines. Its sound is very strong and impactful, though not as a result of increase in the quantity of the bottom end. Sometimes it gives a [you took some damage] feeling.

Even though the Z7 doesn't emphasize treble clarity, it gives an exceptional sense of resolution on tracks with treble content. From the short audition, the Z7's resolution seems on par with the TH900 and W5000, but has a more balanced tuning than the other two.

The Z7 possesses a medium-size soundstage with good positioning, exhibiting ample precision with complex passages. Vocals are positioned slightly more close-up. Though the Z7 doesn't have too particular a signature, one can hear hints of Sony's traditional colouration. At most I'll say that among Sony flagships past and present, the Z7 may turn out to be a very versatile choice.

I give the Z7 my utmost recommendation. Compared to other closed-back flagships, the Z7, though priced at only 55000yen, provides comparable performance and a remarkably well-balanced sound. Seems to be a very sincere effort.

Further Elaboration

Honestly, my listening time was rather short, with no A/B testing and in a noisy environment. Often, nothing more than an understanding of a can's general tendencies is possible from an audition, and the finer points on performance and technicality can only be taken as one opinion.

The Z7 sound is neutral with a bit of warmth, very delicate and refined on the whole. Yet when the music demands energy, as with the Gundam UC BGM being played on location, it has sufficient force to its sound for such material. Not unlike a good speaker system, with excellent control to its dynamics.

Judging from its exterior, the Z7 follows from the SA5000's half-open design, with vents everywhere. This design gives the Z7 a closed-back sound without the muffle prevalent in mid-tier closed headphones. I hear the Z7 as 3/4 closed, 1/4 open.

About the balance of the Z7, actually the MDR-EX1000, MDR-1R to MDR-1A DAC, and MDR-Z7 can be said to belong to the same system of tuning. Undoubtedly, the Z7 is at the top, both in terms of technicality and musicality.

I'm half a treble-head myself, and the Z7 indeed doesn't give me the same incisively clear, bordering thin, sound of the TH900 and W5000. Its presentation is measured and moderate, something like the HE-560 I previously reviewed. The Z7's treble is more smooth, robust, not piercing or harsh but exhibits a wholeness. Worth mentioning is that many top-tier headphones are like mirrors, emphasizing recording deficiencies. Today I specifically picked out a few badly recorded Hatsune Miku tracks which, though not able to bring out the Z7's potential, sounded sweet to the ears at the least, without being too strident or revealing.

Compared to the SA5000, the Z7 has more body across the entire FR, and has no problems with the treble being too sharp or too thin.
Compared to the CD3000, the Z7 has better musicality, where the CD3000 is monitor-like and favours upper-mid/lower-treble.

Vocals with the Z7 are warm and smooth, somewhat intimate, and like the EX1000 has Sony's thick and rich signature. Not in the style of Audio-Technica or some European brands, but rather like some Hifiman models. Maybe it's the other way around and that some Hifimans are like Sonys.

Didn't have time to delve into the Z7's soundstage, but for jazz tracks I was clearly able to locate the musicians in their positions. Overall, I very much recommend the Z7, of course on the premise that it's driven by the PHA-3. But I'd guess that the Z7 is not too picky with upstream gear.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #1,508 of 9,173
Thank you very much. Usually I would wait for tyll's impressions but seriously considering ordering these from price Japan tomorrow going off judes video and this review you so graciously translated. I only have a schiit asgard 1 and a Peachtree audio dac*it. Guessing the low impedance shouldn't be too bad with it. I do think know what pricejapan.com 's return policy is though so I'm thinking I should hold off till they're available from Amazon.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,509 of 9,173
I'm half a treble-head myself, and the Z7 indeed doesn't give me the same incisively clear, bordering thin, sound of the TH900 and W5000. Its presentation is measured and moderate, something like the HE-560 I previously reviewed. The Z7's treble is more smooth, robust, not piercing or harsh but exhibits a wholeness. Worth mentioning is that many top-tier headphones are like mirrors, emphasizing recording deficiencies. Today I specifically picked out a few badly recorded Hatsune Miku tracks which, though not able to bring out the Z7's potential, sounded sweet to the ears at the least, without being too strident or revealing.

Compared to the SA5000, the Z7 has more body across the entire FR, and has no problems with the treble being too sharp or too thin.
Compared to the CD3000, the Z7 has better musicality, where the CD3000 is monitor-like and favours upper-mid/lower-treble.

Vocals with the Z7 are warm and smooth, somewhat intimate, and like the EX1000 has Sony's thick and rich signature. Not in the style of Audio-Technica or some European brands, but rather like some Hifiman models. Maybe it's the other way around and that some Hifimans are like Sonys.

It seems the Z7 will sounds a lot like the HE-500. Now it is the dilemma for me: Whether to replace my HE-500 with the Z7 for its better comfort level? Will I prefer the 70mm driver "impact" bass more than the HE-500 planner magnetic controlled bass?

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,511 of 9,173
Oh no, from that description, I am going to really want a pair of Z7.... 

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #1,512 of 9,173
Oh Mai Gah... That sounds like the sound I wanted! Balanced, but versatile. I need to try these and soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back