Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 20, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #886 of 9,173
Yea a review. Thanks for that!

I want to see some impressions from a somewhat isolated environment. Not sure about that particular Sony store but the ones in my area are huge! Good for testing the NC headphones but that was it.

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #888 of 9,173
I have found that the case with many headphones but it hasn't always been the case. I found it true with Beyers, they wow me at first yet I start growing bored of them within a month. I'm considering selling my DT 150 because they already lost their charm with me. The HD 545 and HD 600 I have found gradually grow on me over time. The K612, K712, and Q701 went against this rule for me they wow'd me from the start and still wow me months later. Just depends on the headphone.

Dun sell your dt150 yet......mine is clear like a T1 :)

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #894 of 9,173

Rather than derail the thread more, I suggest asking someone who actually engineers headphones about this. If someone reminds me, I'll ask Nao at Sony when I next see him about these things (and any other questions).

I think this thread has not been derailed, Sony made headphones with wooden ear-cups before and another one just might be in the making so a talk about this is relevant. You might ask Sony about this. As for getting some knowledge on sound signature crafting and tonal tuning of headphones through the use of tonewoods, the Audio Technica is a better outfit to talk to than Sony, might even be the best one as they know very well what they do. Their different lines of headphones come with their own crafted sound signatures. I suggest you visit Audio Technica next time you wander on the islands of Japan. [In fact I'll phone them if they are open to an inquisitorial visit from some senior member/s of head-fi].

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #895 of 9,173

Rather than derail the thread more, I suggest asking someone who actually engineers headphones about this. If someone reminds me, I'll ask Nao at Sony when I next see him about these things (and any other questions).

I think this thread has not been derailed, Sony made headphones with wooden ear-cups before and another one just might be in the making so a talk about this is relevant. You might ask Sony about this. As for getting some knowledge on sound signature crafting and tonal tuning of headphones through the use of tonewoods, the Audio Technica is a better outfit to talk to than Sony, might even be the best one as they know very well what they do. Their different lines of headphones come with their own crafted sound signatures. I suggest you visit Audio Technica next time you wander on the islands of Japan. [In fact I'll phone them if they are open to an inquisitorial visit from some senior member/s of head-fi].

At the headphone festivals, Sony send all their engineers, so you can ask them directly anything you want about any product. Many speak English too. Audio Technica send their junior sales staff, which strongly discourages me from wanting to ask them anything. Aside from that, I haven't found many of their headphones to be that impressive, especially in contrast to what is available from other companies now. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #898 of 9,173

At the headphone festivals, Sony send all their engineers, so you can ask them directly anything you want about any product. Many speak English too. Audio Technica send their junior sales staff, which strongly discourages me from wanting to ask them anything. Aside from that, I haven't found many of their headphones to be that impressive, especially in contrast to what is available from other companies now. 

:[ 

don't be hating on Audio Technica, but I'm with you Curra, I love my W1000x although I've  modded it. I'm curious as to what they  have coming out next. We haven't heard much from them in terms of ahving a new TOTL or Flagship come out, and I'm not a huge fan of the W3000 ANV Colored signiture, granted I've never heard one but it's common knowledge it's a colored can

I would like to try the w5000 my self, to see if it's a nice replacement for my W1000x, but I might snatch up the MDR z7 before then since chances are it's a touch better... who knows. Either way even if wood is 100%. which is totally debatable, I like wood backed Closed Backs, and would like more of them to be on the market. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #899 of 9,173
Sony seem to be going somewhere and creating things. As far as I know, their headphones are entirely their own design, whereas I believe (but could be wrong) that AT drivers are OEM. The A1000X and A2000X were abysmal and I haven't been impressed by their other cans. But I heard the W1000X out of their own amp and it sounded fantastic in that combination and the AD2000 (both original and X) were the Grado I always wanted in many respects. If I want the ultimate AT, I can listen to the Audeze LCD-XC, which sounds like a very dark AT (compare the FR on HeadRoom with a few ATs to get what I'm saying).

Sony's 1R were timed badly as so many other similar headphones hit the market, but that might have been not such a bad thing in the end. I'm VERY curious about these new flagships. There's no reason for them not to be good, except that Sony is huge and there are plenty of layers inbetween engineering and the sales channel which could screw it up.

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #900 of 9,173
  Sony seem to be going somewhere and creating things. As far as I know, their headphones are entirely their own design, whereas I believe (but could be wrong) that AT drivers are OEM. The A1000X and A2000X were abysmal and I haven't been impressed by their other cans. But I heard the W1000X out of their own amp and it sounded fantastic in that combination and the AD2000 (both original and X) were the Grado I always wanted in many respects. If I want the ultimate AT, I can listen to the Audeze LCD-XC, which sounds like a very dark AT (compare the FR on HeadRoom with a few ATs to get what I'm saying).

Sony's 1R were timed badly as so many other similar headphones hit the market, but that might have been not such a bad thing in the end. I'm VERY curious about these new flagships. There's no reason for them not to be good, except that Sony is huge and there are plenty of layers inbetween engineering and the sales channel which could screw it up.

Oh, duh I totally forgot about the XC, phew

either way, here's to hoping sony has a winner this time around. We all used to have and rave about our sony cans back in the day. Let's hope though they are onto something good this time around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back