Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Aug 4, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #76 of 9,173
  I sure hope this is a true R10 successor, if so I'm all over this headphone. The R10 is the best headphone I've ever heard out of the countless headphones I've auditioned, no other headphone has wow'd me the same way as the R10.

This isn't helping me to get a grip on my anxiety... please stop 
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #78 of 9,173
R10 & 010 were really hard cans to drive and needed an amp to hear their potential.

EX1000 & Z1000 requires no amp and were winners for the audiophile for portability (if you didnt like them, bad luck 'cause you probably spent more to get your audiophile needs). $499 was a great selling proce compared to other iems/headphones above this price.

This upcoming flagship hopefully will also be easy to drive, and now knowing PHA-1 & 2 are weak amps, maybe a new amp is along the lines to drive this upcoming one (if its power hungry)

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #81 of 9,173
  Release date?

Mid-October.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/623663-sony-is-likely-to-go-bankrupt-according-to-macroaxis

I'd keep this in mind though if you are planning to buy, Sony's financial situation is not good and they may not be around to honor warranty claims before the end of these headphones' warranty periods.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #82 of 9,173
Nah, I think they'll manage.
Maybe they'll shrink and lay off quite a few of their subsidiaries but I don't think they'll go under.
I certainly hope so :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #83 of 9,173
Honestly I like Sony quite a bit
I really hope they pull out from this
I bought a fair amount of their products from a Blu-ray player, PS3, tons of games, headphones to even a TV and have never had issues.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #84 of 9,173
Sony needs to
1. Open an online music store and sell music, movies etc. at a reasonable prices. Formats should be simple and nothing resteicted
2. Come up with some new names as Bravia, Walkman etc. seem too RETRO. I said this before since we are in a digital age maybe come up with something like digitalman. i like the suffix '-man'
3. Cut down on their packaging. Super quality packaging but they need to cut it down and make it simple. Seem like to much 'engineering' is going on with the packaging and less of the products.
4. Bring out different ranges of electronics (based upon pricing) and keep on the shelves for some years. Look at the current listing for mp3 players.One E series model with 2 storage capacities and both are low end.
5. Bringing out newer headphones ever year seems to be a waste. (look at beats hardly ever bring out new products and look how well they're doing)
6. Most important of all - Original retail pricing on most Sony products is just ridiculously high.

Thats just my take of owning mostly Sony products in my 40 year life span.

GO SONY!

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #85 of 9,173
  Mid-October.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/623663-sony-is-likely-to-go-bankrupt-according-to-macroaxis

I'd keep this in mind though if you are planning to buy, Sony's financial situation is not good and they may not be around to honor warranty claims before the end of these headphones' warranty periods.

Although, according to that same article,

"As grim as all this sounds, Sony posted its first annual profit in five years at the end of the last fiscal year.
Numbers have remained positive since the turn of the year after major changes were made in management."

This, of course, is very good news - but it's still wait-and-see

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #86 of 9,173
I would expect the bass to be greatly improved and hopefully go deeper with less harmonic distortion. What I'm hoping to not see is this:

Between 2Khz and 10Khz it goes all over the place. The MDR-Z1000 also uses 50mm LCP drivers. I think it was also described as having a "concert hall" sound.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #90 of 9,173
  I would expect the bass to be greatly improved and hopefully go deeper with less harmonic distortion. What I'm hoping to not see is this:

Between 2Khz and 10Khz it goes all over the place. The MDR-Z1000 also uses 50mm LCP drivers. I think it was also described as having a "concert hall" sound.

The MDR 7520 already has improved bass over the Z1000. 

Either way, will be interesting what sound signature it ends up with. Hopefully something not U shaped as that is already covered by Fostex, Ultrasone Sig DJ among others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back