Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Aug 11, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #8,596 of 9,173
I totally agree with you. This seems to be the cable with which the headphones where originally tuned.
The price of this one, although it may be worth it for the improvements, is quite high - out of all the custom cables out there is there one of comparative sound quality for a lower price? Plussound, Oidio, etc

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #8,597 of 9,173
Loved these headphones when I'd owned them (for a few good years). Had a bit too much midrange resonance (tamed with mods but never quite enough). Also, the earcups didn't quite slide down far enough so fully extended, I always wished for 1/2 inch more on each side in their reach. In news on an Audiophile page I had just seen this announced. So I guess I'll be the first one to drop the announcement in this group. Version 2!! Extra venting means they might have fixed the resonance. They say the larger magnet helps high mids (many felt could use a bit more (I often agreed, though we know that's an area we have to be careful with). Similar list price $700 USD and its out in a month they say.

http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2018/08/sony-announces-mdr-z7m2.html

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #8,598 of 9,173
I totally agree with you. This seems to be the cable with which the headphones where originally tuned.

I know, it’s hard to admit such a thing, thought it may be true!

Cheers!

Though it does make you wonder what other more expensive cable tomfoolery would do?

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #8,599 of 9,173
Loved these headphones when I'd owned them (for a few good years). Had a bit too much midrange resonance (tamed with mods but never quite enough). Also, the earcups didn't quite slide down far enough so fully extended, I always wished for 1/2 inch more on each side in their reach. In news on an Audiophile page I had just seen this announced. So I guess I'll be the first one to drop the announcement in this group. Version 2!! Extra venting means they might have fixed the resonance. They say the larger magnet helps high mids (many felt could use a bit more (I often agreed, though we know that's an area we have to be careful with). Similar list price $700 USD and its out in a month they say.

http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2018/08/sony-announces-mdr-z7m2.html

Yes, it will be interesting if they tweeked the midrange, adding the skills they learned from the Z1R? I hope for a smoother mid area, where they could get away from that congestion and add a little more natural response. Though I love my Z7 with all it’s funny hang-ups.

And.....the new one is priced the same as MK1.......which is rare in this world of price gouging.

My correction process didn’t mod anything but found some of the issues went away with the TA amp and Sony MUC-B20SB1 cable. The original Z7 is one of my most favorite headphones for EDM.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #8,600 of 9,173
I'm just awaiting delivery of my Z7 - can you please tell me if you're still happy with your KK cable after spending a bit of time with them? The build quality is good?
I'll be in Japan at the end of the year to take advantage of more quality options but for now I just want to give these a spin with my ZX300. Thanks

A second reply to your question: I really like this cable and what it does. It has been been so hot and muggy the last few weeks that I have been using my Grado's.
The humidity finally broke last night and today I am using Z7's again. What a Great combination!

My DAP is a Sony ZX300 and it sounds so much better balanced out. The Red Hot Chili Peppers really sound good via balanced out, high gain on and volume set on 60 (out of of 120).

I don't need an amp as this player has more than enough power for me.

I do Love my Grado's, but this combo sounds great. The Grado's are certainly "bass-light" compared to this pairing. I love having such a different sounding combo. Best of both worlds!

Of course I should add that these comments are strictly based on my non-audiophile tastes.:)

Shane D

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #8,601 of 9,173
A second reply to your question: I really like this cable and what it does. It has been been so hot and muggy the last few weeks that I have been using my Grado's.
The humidity finally broke last night and today I am using Z7's again. What a Great combination!

My DAP is a Sony ZX300 and it sounds so much better balanced out. The Red Hot Chili Peppers really sound good via balanced out, high gain on and volume set on 60 (out of of 120).

I don't need an amp as this player has more than enough power for me.

I do Love my Grado's, but this combo sounds great. The Grado's are certainly "bass-light" compared to this pairing. I love having such a different sounding combo. Best of both worlds!

Of course I should add that these comments are strictly based on my non-audiophile tastes.:)

Shane D
Thank you sir, I should receive my Z7 tomorrow - I am tossing up whether to go for that cable or just spend the extra now and get a better quality one as I want to give them the opportunity to sound their best in deciding whether I like them or not.
Unfortunately exchange rates are against me and my currency has just taken a dive in the past couple of weeks - nice timing.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #8,602 of 9,173
Thank you sir, I should receive my Z7 tomorrow - I am tossing up whether to go for that cable or just spend the extra now and get a better quality one as I want to give them the opportunity to sound their best in deciding whether I like them or not.
Unfortunately exchange rates are against me and my currency has just taken a dive in the past couple of weeks - nice timing.

They really are a nice headphone. After not using them for a few weeks, I really missed them.

Hopefully I can use them again tomorrow morning. I really like full, bassy sound.
It's like getting new headphones or using one's that you had forgotten about. Put 'em on and go "holy crap, these are awesome."

Downside was that by 1:30PM the pads were wet with sweat.:cold_sweat:

I love summer, but...

Shane D

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #8,604 of 9,173
They really are a nice headphone. After not using them for a few weeks, I really missed them.

Hopefully I can use them again tomorrow morning. I really like full, bassy sound.
It's like getting new headphones or using one's that you had forgotten about. Put 'em on and go "holy crap, these are awesome."

Downside was that by 1:30PM the pads were wet with sweat.:cold_sweat:

I love summer, but...

Shane D
No worries here, it's the tail end of winter. I have a history with Sony audio gear for various reasons and I realise I have come to love the general sound signature of their iems, nice healthy low end, so I'm sure these will instantly align with my brain/ear tuning.

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #8,605 of 9,173
I know gerelmx1986 got an adapter made to convert the twin 3.5mm balanced jacks to a 4.4mm - are there any cheapie ones around that I can use until I decide on cable options?
Any links would be appreciated thank you.

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #8,606 of 9,173
I know gerelmx1986 got an adapter made to convert the twin 3.5mm balanced jacks to a 4.4mm - are there any cheapie ones around that I can use until I decide on cable options?
Any links would be appreciated thank you.
mine was made by @Whitigir and now i use a stock MDR-Z1R 4.4mm cable

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #8,607 of 9,173
if anyone knows the screw driver size i must use to unscrew the pads?
It is a very small Philips or PH cross from a clockmaker set. Be careful not to slip and destroy the driver.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #8,608 of 9,173
if anyone knows the screw driver size i must use to unscrew the pads?
It is a PH0.
20180812_095614.jpg

Aug 12, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #8,609 of 9,173
Judging from the pic below the outside is similar, the venting of course being an obvious change, and less sliver, more black. They address the frame a bit, and refer to light weight. The old model was certainly light enough, but given how the latest version of the MDR-1A is far lighter, they may have found a way to cut the weight even more. Another page has a write up on these since the last one I'd posted. It mentions the MDR-Z1A inspired driver and more durable build. I look forward to actual impressions soon. http://www.megabites.com.ph/sony-unveils-its-premium-headphones-the-mdr-z7m2

upload_2018-8-12_12-55-47.png

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #8,610 of 9,173
I have the old Z7 and I like them a lot. Really excited to hear what Sony decided to do with these new ones, soundwise. I'm glad that they kept the overall aesthetic of the the previous Z7, because (IMO) it would've been very hard to improve, as I like the looks and fit so much. The one thing that I don't like about the new one is where the cable connects. It seems that they moved the connectors from the earcups to the hangers. I just don't like that there are wires that have to go through the hanger, then to the cups. Just makes everything more difficult if I have to get in there myself and do something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back