Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Aug 9, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #8,566 of 9,173
I will keep mine and get a second pair of XBA-Z5, as the ones I have are worn and wobbly mmcx connector.

My z7 never got mobile use if we keep aside the trip they took from DE to MX)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #8,568 of 9,173
LOVE my ZX 300! Put it to work last night with my Z7's and my KK balanced cable. Just amazing. SE low gain was way too quiet. SE high gain was undoubtedly louder, but the same. Balanced low gain was definitely better. My final resting spot is balanced, high gain and running at a volume of about 65, out of 120. The cable is great, feels/looks nice and is much shorter than the standard Z7 cable. And the blue miter box is beautiful! Goes on in about 10 seconds, but takes about five minutes to get off due to the rubber back rubbing again the material inside the case.
I am very, Very happy with this purchase and finally completed my home set-up. These really do pair wonderfully.
:L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:

I will try the Grado's tomorrow, but they are VERY easy to run and the SE low gain will likely be all they need. But I will probably try the high gain anyway.

Also, I am thinking that this balanced cable would probably work with my Meze 99 Classic's...

Shane D
I'm just awaiting delivery of my Z7 - can you please tell me if you're still happy with your KK cable after spending a bit of time with them? The build quality is good?
I'll be in Japan at the end of the year to take advantage of more quality options but for now I just want to give these a spin with my ZX300. Thanks

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #8,569 of 9,173
I'm just awaiting delivery of my Z7 - can you please tell me if you're still happy with your KK cable after spending a bit of time with them? The build quality is good?
I'll be in Japan at the end of the year to take advantage of more quality options but for now I just want to give these a spin with my ZX300. Thanks

I have not been using my Z7's recently as it's been too damn hot.

I do really like the cable. I have never tried a "high end" cable though so my knowledge of cables is limited.

Shane D

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #8,571 of 9,173
I have not been using my Z7's recently as it's been too damn hot.

I do really like the cable. I have never tried a "high end" cable though so my knowledge of cables is limited.

Shane D
Thanks for your reply, I was more referring to the build quality of the cable as it is a lower priced option compared to some of the other options out there.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #8,572 of 9,173
i am wondering if there will be new upgrade cable options with the advent of the new IER line up/Z7M2

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #8,573 of 9,173
Will the M2 have easy to replace ear cushions?
The Z7 has easy replaceable pads. They are only secured with one little screw, which is hard to see. The pad covers it. Take a flashlight and inspect the inside of the cups carefully, then you can see the screw. And for the pads, they can be ordered from Japan. Someone posted the part number long ago. What kind of mod do you want to have, if I may ask?

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #8,574 of 9,173
Thanks for your reply, I was more referring to the build quality of the cable as it is a lower priced option compared to some of the other options out there.
Have the cable. It is great sounding, looking and quality wise.

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #8,575 of 9,173

No complaints on build quality. Feels and looks like a factory cable.

Shane D

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #8,576 of 9,173
Have the cable. It is great sounding, looking and quality wise.
I see the same picture for an ebay listing which is a fair bit cheaper. Would I assume this is just a generic cable that is sold as a KK cable on Amazon?
Edit* also Aliexpress seems to have the same cable - Amazon is the most expensive option, can anyone give the thumbs up to aliexpress as I have never used before?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #8,577 of 9,173
I see the same picture for an ebay listing which is a fair bit cheaper. Would I assume this is just a generic cable that is sold as a KK cable on Amazon?
Edit* also Aliexpress seems to have the same cable - Amazon is the most expensive option, can anyone give the thumbs up to aliexpress as I have never used before?
If it is too cheap is probably a knockoff. I got mine from Ebay for 251€ plus 19% customs.
upload_2018-8-10_13-47-20.png

Good seller with good reputation.

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #8,578 of 9,173
@pietcux what are the differences you note in the Z1R and the Z7? Or are these differences small, so that you must be really concentrated on music to hear them instead of being concentrated on something else and music as background?

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #8,579 of 9,173
@pietcux what are the differences you note in the Z1R and the Z7? Or are these differences small, so that you must be really concentrated on music to hear them instead of being concentrated on something else and music as background?

The Z1R's soundstage is vastly better than the Z7, also the lower bass is way tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back