Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Aug 10, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #8,581 of 9,173
I saw the pads of the MDR-Z7 cost $64 us dollar each one... I enquired the website whether if they ship to Mexico

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #8,582 of 9,173
Aug 10, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #8,583 of 9,173
If it is too cheap is probably a knockoff. I got mine from Ebay for 251€ plus 19% customs.

Good seller with good reputation.
Actually the one I was talking about was a budget cable that had a cheeky name 3d
If it is too cheap is probably a knockoff. I got mine from Ebay for 251€ plus 19% customs.

Thanks for the info but the cables I was referring to was actually a cheaper option with the rather cheeky name of 'KK cables'.
I posted earlier that I am just waiting to receive the Z7 I had recently bought and until I go to Japan later in the year and can perhaps find a good price on a secondhand Kimber etc, I just wanted a quick cheaper option to get a taste of them balanced from my ZX300.
Shane D had good feedback about these cables.

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #8,584 of 9,173
Just an FYI, there are now knock off ear cushionsfor the Z7 on ebay. These pads look off spec. Therea a foam back to them and of course there's no memory foam cores that are sculpted like OEM nor any real leather used for the cover.

The OEM cushions are prohibitively expensive outside Japan unless you get lucky amd spot them on eBay. You can buy most Sony cables and the cushions from e-headphone through a shipping proxy such as Buyee.

I actually have a few back up pairs of OEM cushions that I would like to sell but they don't sell well on eBay. Now these knockoffs are on there for $16 and people knowkno better. So that's that.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #8,585 of 9,173

Did you mean 251 Euros + duties?
Mine cost me about $90.00, all in, in Canadian $'s. About 70 Euros.

Shane D

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #8,586 of 9,173
Did you mean 251 Euros + duties?
Mine cost me about $90.00, all in, in Canadian $'s. About 70 Euros.

Shane D
But mine are original Sony parts, the German customs qualified that. Else they would have destroyed them.

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #8,587 of 9,173
But mine are original Sony parts, the German customs qualified that. Else they would have destroyed them.
Ok, that makes a big difference.

Mine is just the cheap KK cable via Amazon.

Shane D

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #8,588 of 9,173
Aug 10, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #8,589 of 9,173
I don't think one would be better than the other, maybe just slightly different, but probably wont be able to tell, unless you have some really high end gear. They look really nice and I was actually going to buy one, but decided to learn how to make my own a couple of week ago, and had good success.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #8,590 of 9,173

I would buy a better cable. Those are mid-grade microphone cable and may or may not be better than the stock cable on both the Z7 & Z1R. I recommend high purity silver OCC cable for both phones.

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #8,591 of 9,173
I would buy a better cable. Those are mid-grade microphone cable and may or may not be better than the stock cable on both the Z7 & Z1R. I recommend high purity silver OCC cable for both phones.
Any recommendations on which high quality?
So a cable that cost as much as the headphone? Any brands you recommend?

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #8,592 of 9,173
No complaints on build quality. Feels and looks like a factory cable.

Shane D

?? I have never used the below suggestion.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/4-4mm-BALANC...lated-Copper-NW-WM1Z-WM1A-zx300-/172703024921

You should put an add in the wanted for sale section. There has to be plenty of used 4.4mm around after people purchased Kimber products for their Z1R; the cables are the same in how they fit.

@pietcux what are the differences you note in the Z1R and the Z7? Or are these differences small, so that you must be really concentrated on music to hear them instead of being concentrated on something else and music as background?

I think the Z1R is 10-20% different than the Z7. But that 10% is huge if you concentrate on it. They fixed the midrange compression and unnatural tone. I listen to EDM and don’t really notice the mid issue with the Z7, but I’m sure folks into acoustic music notice it. Using the TA amp gets the Z7 closer to the Z1R and using the Kimber cable goes a long way to get the Z7 closer to the Z1R.

The bass on the Z1R is more defused and full of “room” ambiance. Where the Z7 has the standard thump in a localized area.

Had the Z1R and purchased the Z7 as a deal from Sony two-three weeks ago.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #8,593 of 9,173
Not sure. But the Z1R is not too different sounding as the Z7's. I listened to the Z7 from the WM1A with the balanced Sony Kimber cable right now. I still dig how it sounds, the said cable makes it even richer sounding to me. Don't write the Z7's off, they are a perfect classic to me. Look at Rev 2 as a small refinement soundwise. The addition of the Pentaconn cable is the move to align it better with their DAP offerings of today, that's all. There is no need to make it more efficient, it can be driven from a banana or a taco if needed.

As the Z1R was an attempt to take the Z7 and make it Z7MK2 (before this real MK2) the Z1R smoothed out the Z7 midrange. The Z1R midrange has been smoothed out and spread across a wide soundstage to make details more noticeable. The bass became more defuse too. I actually kinda like the bass thump of the original Z7, being in a different character to the Z1R.

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #8,594 of 9,173
Sony MUC-B20SB1

This is a great cable for the Z7 and will most always inhance the Z7MK2.

It makes the treble and midrange more detailed. It also makes everything more clear.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #8,595 of 9,173
Sony MUC-B20SB1

This is a great cable for the Z7 and will most always inhance the Z7MK2.

It makes the treble and midrange more detailed. It also makes everything more clear.
I totally agree with you. This seems to be the cable with which the headphones where originally tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back