Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 14, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #8,521 of 9,173
Are you from Germany or are you traveling there?

I got mine in 2016 so lmost two yrs a go. By the way. enjoying them with some beautiful Sylvius Leopold Weiss Sonatas for Lute
Ok 2 years to late :D I'm in Germany right now so I may just go a saturn store...enjoy your music with these great cans. I have the Sony MA900 kind of the forerunner of the Z7...

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #8,522 of 9,173
My Z7's benefited just as much from a balanced connection as my Z5's did. With the PHA 3 the Z7's are absolutely superb
Thanks, I may consider the PHA-2A as with intended cable upgrades the 4.4mm would be my preferred choice, also it's a bit cheaper.
I like your avatar

Jul 14, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #8,523 of 9,173
My Z7's benefited just as much from a balanced connection as my Z5's did. With the PHA 3 the Z7's are absolutely superb

I almost could guess that from my single ended listening. I can't wait to try balanced with them. I have the amps and cables around, but just have not got around to it.

Cheers!

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #8,524 of 9,173
Well I'm pretty impressed how much the Z7 scaled up in balanced mode. I'm also surprised how much I dig the final signature. All the bad reviews had me worried but I took a chance anyway (being into Sony). After spending a weekend trying other stuff like the Campfire Audio Cascade, I'm fully sure I purchased the right headphone. 100X better than the Cascade!

Funny too as it has it's qualities and becomes a complement to the Z1R in the end.
DSC_0344.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #8,525 of 9,173
I almost could guess that from my single ended listening. I can't wait to try balanced with them. I have the amps and cables around, but just have not got around to it.

Cheers!

What are you waiting for? Try em out in balanced immediately!

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #8,526 of 9,173
Well I'm pretty impressed how much the Z7 scaled up in balanced mode. I'm also surprised how much I dig the final signature. All the bad reviews had me worried but I took a chance anyway (being into Sony). After spending a weekend trying other stuff like Campfire Audio Cascade, I'm fully sure I purchased the right headphone. 100X better than the Cascade!

Funny too as it has it's qualities and becomes a complement to the Z1R in the end.

Same here! I'm not into reference sound and that's what I was getting with a lot of Sennheiser's. Since I like the warm more analog sound signature the Sony and Cowon are my two favorite DAP makers at the moment with the Sony high end headphones as the go to. I use the A3's for the gym and Z5's along with the Z7s outta balanced modes at home. Pure bliss

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #8,527 of 9,173
Z7 is a wonderful headphone, and the bargain at it's price in the 300 to 400 dollar range. A high current amp, and all of the "complaints" disappear and they become very 'stat' like. Bass becomes disciplined and balanced. Want that extra touch of refinement, balance and succulence, spend the extra bucks for the Z1R, but you don't have to.

Jul 15, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #8,528 of 9,173
Z7 is a wonderful headphone, and the bargain at it's price in the 300 to 400 dollar range. A high current amp, and all of the "complaints" disappear and they become very 'stat' like. Bass becomes disciplined and balanced. Want that extra touch of refinement, balance and succulence, spend the extra bucks for the Z1R, but you don't have to.

And......@ https://www.head-fi.org/members/aerosatan.282810/

Well, so far I’m guessing the Z7 to actually be very amp dependent; meaning it simply shows amp character. And.......it may be that the Z7 needs a character of amp to sound it’s best. It actually may be a headphone which does not sound best on all amps and all sources?

Not to mention it does need juice just like the XBA-Z5; to “open-up” and have better bass definition (as so wonderfully and accurately pointed-out). In my experience over the years this “juice” is better defined as “damping power”; which helps by adding only a slight dB of bass, but adds control of the driver diaphragm going in-out and.........stopping fast. This added bass definition is perceived as more bass where in fact it’s simply clearer bass reproduction. IMHO

So far I cringe at seeing reviews with what I perceive as the wrong amp. As many reviewers; they believe their amp is fine and not going to be an issue, hearing the Z7 for what it is. When in reality they are about to do a review with a mismatch. The above single aspect, along with personal sound signal preferences has, in my eyes, become the single source of Z7 confusion here and elsewhere on the inter-web.

Basically it’s a headphone which may need to be run on a couple amps when writing a review. So far I think it’s a finicky headphone. Still that does not mean it’s not going to be a spectacular headphone when combined with the right upstream gear. In my personal learning curve it’s been the finicky headphones and not the well rounded headphones which sound the competitive best in the end. It’s times when manufacturers try and make a do-all headphone, that they compromise.

But strangely in 4.4mm balanced-mode, it shows the tone difference of the 1A in comparison to the 1Z better than any headphone I’ve tried. It sounds way better with the 1Z, but I don’t know why? There are some similarities between the Z1R and the Z7 in how the vocals can be set back in the mix.

And of course, it is well known for the Z1R to have a funny qwerk of placing male vocals back in the mix. Actually the Z7 places male vocals back in the mix............but a little less than the Z1R. I don’t have a problem with that quirk, but it IS one of the first things you notice when first listening to either headphone. IMHO

The fun part is going to see how the Z7 scales up with Sony TA-ZH1ES? I’m thinking that it will be a match made in heaven, same as how the Sony TA-ZH1ES becomes the best amp on earth for the Z1R.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #8,529 of 9,173
I just love their sound quality. I was also worried i would get another bad headphone like the MDR-1R.

The sound almost smooth, not reference but also not bassy. The sound stage for a semi-open can, as i consider then to be, The dynamic range capabilities. They show clearly the dynamic range "swing" like from loud to a very faint sound. You hear the "contrast" a nice moderate ludness violin and a soft flue-pipe chamber organ on the background or a Harpsichord combined with a lute or theorbo. Playing the Tam Arism quam, alis servientes from H.F. ignaz Biber as a .dsf 2.8224Mhz.

In balanced + good recordings (not necessairly Hi-res) they shine at their best. The reason i am ditching some recordings i considered good, for far better ones, even if the better ones are recorded before than the ones i am discarding. This was the case of Bahc Viola da gamba sonatas with Guido Balastracci and Blandine rannou (2007) being ditched in favor of Ton Koopman and Jordi Savall (2000)

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #8,530 of 9,173
What portable amps are people using to drive their Z7 to a satisfying level? The PHA-3 is a bit pricey and I would prefer 4.4mm, so the PHA-2A is one I would consider.

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #8,531 of 9,173
And......@ https://www.head-fi.org/members/aerosatan.282810/

Well, so far I’m guessing the Z7 to actually be very amp dependent; meaning it simply shows amp character. And.......it may be that the Z7 needs a character of amp to sound it’s best. It actually may be a headphone which does not sound best on all amps and all sources?

Yes. The Z7 is *very* amp dependent. It’s remarkably well matched with the PHA-3 (surprise). Listening with my Lehmann, which does exceptionally well with my Grados, it sounds muddy. With my Woo OTL, it distorts at higher volume. I think people that diss the Z7 haven’t heard them with the right amp.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #8,532 of 9,173
Listening with my Lehmann, which does exceptionally well with my Grados, it sounds muddy.

I had a Lehmann BCL clone, the Matrix Mstage HPA1, paired with the Z7 for a couple months and was in aural bliss. The key though was that I was using a discreet opamp from Sonic Imagery Labs at the time. That $95 opamp made a big difference from the various opamps o had been using previously.

Now I'm using a Magni 3 because my Mstage was lost in the mail. The Z7 sounds "different" with the Magni. It definitely reveals the character of your source equipment.

Btw, I like the Magni and Z7 pairing but it doesn't have the smoothness and authority of the Mstage + Ticha994 discrete opamp.

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #8,533 of 9,173
Yes. The Z7 is *very* amp dependent. It’s remarkably well matched with the PHA-3 (surprise). Listening with my Lehmann, which does exceptionally well with my Grados, it sounds muddy. With my Woo OTL, it distorts at higher volume. I think people that diss the Z7 haven’t heard them with the right amp.

the 1.jpg
I had a Lehmann BCL clone, the Matrix Mstage HPA1, paired with the Z7 for a couple months and was in aural bliss. The key though was that I was using a discreet opamp from Sonic Imagery Labs at the time. That $95 opamp made a big difference from the various opamps o had been using previously.

Now I'm using a Magni 3 because my Mstage was lost in the mail. The Z7 sounds "different" with the Magni. It definitely reveals the character of your source equipment.

Btw, I like the Magni and Z7 pairing but it doesn't have the smoothness and authority of the Mstage + Ticha994 discrete opamp.

Just as I suspected the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP with Sony MUC-B20SB1 cable took the Z7 to an unbelievable place, considering preliminary listening was on Walkmans. Now If I would have known this I would not ever have spent 5 times more money for the Z1R.

In fact I would suggest anyone interested in the Z1R to listen with the Z7/TA amp, back to back. The two headphones are 90% the same. That last 10% being that slight lushness the Z1R produces. The Z7 is slighly smaller too which makes them ergonomic.

Anyone wanting an amp to take the Z7 to their designed level could get the TA amp. I have no issues recommending the combo. Though keep in mind using CD toslink SPDIF is not going to do what a 1A-1Z or ZX300 would do as a source.

Also keep in mind I only listen to EDM and Metal with Classic Rock here and there. The upper treble of the Z7 is just slightly more grainy than the Z1R. But I have to declare that all vocals are set perfect in the mix with this combo. Also bringing out heavy bass music like Trap, brings out a bass monster, I don't think I have heard in 30 years in this hobby?

Maybe more folks have used the Z7 with stacks of amps, but at this point I have no desire to go on an amp quest. I will try them with my Woo 5LE when I get a chance.

I would have never purchased the Z1R if I would have known all the above.

Edit:
Keep in mind I use DSEE HX and DSD Remastering on all the time. It even did 320kbps good, but nothing lower.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #8,534 of 9,173

Just as I suspected the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP with Sony MUC-B20SB1 cable took the Z7 to an unbelievable place, considering preliminary listening was on Walkmans. Now If I would have known this I would not ever have spent 5 times more money for the Z1R.

In fact I would suggest anyone interested in the Z1R to listen with the Z7/TA amp, back to back. The two headphones are 90% the same. That last 10% being that slight lushness the Z1R produces. The Z7 is slighly smaller too which makes them ergonomic.

Anyone wanting an amp to take the Z7 to their designed level could get the TA amp. I have no issues recommending the combo. Though keep in mind using CD toslink SPDIF is not going to do what a 1A-1Z or ZX300 would do as a source.

Also keep in mind I only listen to EDM and Metal with Classic Rock here and there. The upper treble of the Z7 is just slightly more grainy than the Z1R. But I have to declare that all vocals are set perfect in the mix with this combo. Also bringing out heavy bass music like Trap, brings out a bass monster, I don't think I have heard in 30 years in this hobby?

Maybe more folks have used the Z7 with stacks of amps, but at this point I have no desire to go on an amp quest. I will try them with my Woo 5LE when I get a chance.

I would have never purchased the Z1R if I would have known all the above.

Edit:
Keep in mind I use DSEE HX and DSD Remastering on all the time. It even did 320kbps good, but nothing lower.
That is exactly what I thought, why spend more money on the Z1r because they may have the same signature

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #8,535 of 9,173
This headphone with a 4 pin XLR running on a Gumby and MJ2 with the right tube, is a match made in heaven. It scales up well and competes with just about everything else I own. It also sounds really good SE out of the Project Ember 2.
This HP may be the best bang for the buck for what it’s selling for on this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back