Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #676 of 9,173
  As I see it, no. The Z7 uses a dual sided cable. The D7100 is single sided with a special single sided balanced 1/8 jack to the headphone.

D7100 is dual sided entry into both cups. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #677 of 9,173
Boy, after the announcement, the news just ground to a stop.  No real release dates for headphones, scattered info over regional Sony sites, and I'm still not sure if the Z7s are going to be available worldwide?

@jude you promised more info.  Head-Fi TV maybe?

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #679 of 9,173

Wood fetishists seem to think that wood is magic. It is not.

It's not magic, but by its very nature it does have special and unique
properties which lend it to certain uses - such as the making of
woodwind and other musical instruments.

The Grado headphones with wood earcups are probably
my favorite sounding headphones, but of course I can't be sure
if that's solely because of the wood.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #680 of 9,173
Stradivarius r made from wood...n a special glue :)

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #681 of 9,173
Musical instruments made of different tone woods... nonsense 
ph34r.gif

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #684 of 9,173
Just made my pre-order on Amazon. What is the general consensus around here? Jump on the Z7 hype or wait for this mythical flagship model that no one has any clue about?

The only reason I believe they'd hold off on a release of a flagship would be to either get feedback on the Z7 (as in the new flagship is going to be based somewhat on the Z7 and be tuned / adjusted with feedback on that) or they're still researching / testing certain qualities.
I don't see any other reason to delay the flagship (or... sell more Z7s before announcing the flagship)

Regardless, I am in no rush to buy more 500-1k headphones as I already have the W3000anv at home

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #685 of 9,173

It's not magic, but by its very nature it does have special and unique
properties which lend it to certain uses - such as the making of
woodwind and other musical instruments.

The Grado headphones with wood earcups are probably
my favorite sounding headphones, but of course I can't be sure
if that's solely because of the wood.

not magic you say?!? after 4 seasons & 5 books of aimless wandering through snow, the wood betta b magic!!!

the children of the forest used wood to see through space and time, so it makes sense that the wood also can also have an impact on sound.

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #686 of 9,173
there is a reason why passive bookshelf speaker cabinets are made out of wood. plastic would be completely different. lots of reveberation.

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #688 of 9,173
Different materials reflect different things, and certain treatments that you can apply to the housing further alters their acoustic properties. It's not a "one is inherently better than the other" thing, its more of using what fits your purposes thing.

Properly dampened metal can absorb a lot of frequencies, but so can properly treated wood. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #689 of 9,173
Someone has any news about MDR-Z7 aside fancy 3D rendered images and promo videos?

There is a page on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZ7-Hi-Res-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00NBMHT7Q/?tag=hpg33k-20
"Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks"
at 700USD

They really got to change their first liner "Wide Soundstage Reproduction up to 100 kHz"... it's an awesome driver design with area of ortho's and efficiency of copper-clad dynamic's, but this marketing BS is just a no-go with me. Swiping a 0Hz-100kHz during 10 seconds will leave you with 1s of audio. To be coherent, they'd need to give the distortion specs based on this spectrum width, so... no THD number to be seen anywhere (not surprisingly). 

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #690 of 9,173
  Just made my pre-order on Amazon. What is the general consensus around here? Jump on the Z7 hype or wait for this mythical flagship model that no one has any clue about?

I am not even sure that the mythical flagship is even coming from Sony. I am sure that Sony like other manufactures have prototypes of future headphones. It  may even be possible that Sony may come out with a special limited edition similar to the Z7 later on but it is not a given. For me I do not have funds to pay for a flagship model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back