Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Aug 13, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #5,702 of 9,173

What does that mean?

Found under:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgCAWGNjZEk

user 1. The Sony MDR-Z7 unit I have produces a fluttering / rattling noise in the right driver when playing low frequencies ...
user 2. Mine had this issue as well. So did the replacement unit ...
user 3. I thought something must be wrong with me. Second time, there it is plain as day. When you buy something expensive, you expect it to work properly...

This is sux ... And shouldn't happened in Flagship models..

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #5,703 of 9,173

user 1. The Sony MDR-Z7 unit I have produces a fluttering / rattling noise in the right driver when playing low frequencies ...
user 3. I thought something must be wrong with me. Second time, there it is plain as day. When you buy something expensive, you expect it to work properly...

I agree, buying top tier should spare you this annoyance.  Just ask all those LCD-3 Fazor owners...

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #5,704 of 9,173
Ghost, I do pray for you. The large drivers and what holding it inside the EarPads look to be easily damaged. Anyways, I pray mine does not see it

And....the post made me went on youtube to test out my drivers
biggrin.gif
luckily it still working as intended

Thank you guys! Last time they have replaced a pair of brand new drivers from Japan for me, so it means that I have faced two pair of "defected" drivers.
I suspect the diaphragm itself have some surface tension due to the gluing so that rattle sound come from the unwanted movement of the diaphragm.
If my guess is correct, the fully run-in unit have less possibility to have this problem.

P.S. I am not an expert at this.

Are you part of the hardest hitting bass group?

Once I ran test tones to see if two channels are balanced and this problem were found. Though I love listening to bass I do know bass at a high volume would cause a large electric current to my system. I would use other (cheaper) headphones to achieve that purpose.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #5,705 of 9,173

I forgot to tell you guys my newly bought Z1000 have the same problem, even at very low volume. How can it pass the QC test? Luckily, the CS and the repair services is awesome. They are always kind and repair (change drivers) for me without asking silly questions. Those headphones have 1-year warranty only, not sure what will happen a few months later.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #5,706 of 9,173
I forgot to tell you guys my newly bought Z1000 have the same problem, even at very low volume. How can it pass the QC test? Luckily, the CS and the repair services is awesome. They are always kind and repair (change drivers) for me without asking silly questions. Those headphones have 1-year warranty only, not sure what will happen a few months later.

Seriously ? You should go buy a lottery nao! :D Man, what luck...I feel sorry for you. Hope u get your pairs back soon...I know waiting is a pain!

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #5,707 of 9,173
Seriously ? You should go buy a lottery nao!
biggrin.gif
Man, what luck...I feel sorry for you. Hope u get your pairs back soon...I know waiting is a pain!

Waiting would not be painful if the repaired unit works fine and has no problems. My scenario is that I sent my defected unit and wait and got another defected unit and now what I can do is to wait. Thank you guy!

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #5,708 of 9,173
Aug 13, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #5,709 of 9,173

Story of my life. I had to send in my Z5 AGAIN to get it replaced. I will be on my 4th pair at this point. This time the over the ear cable on the right side had no rigid support so it wouldn't stay in my ears.

I had hoped the Z7 would have no such problems. This makes me VERY hesitant to buy the Z7 used or at all for that matter :frowning2:

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #5,711 of 9,173

Story of my life. I had to send in my Z5 AGAIN to get it replaced. I will be on my 4th pair at this point. This time the over the ear cable on the right side had no riding support so it wouldn't stay in my ears.

I had hoped the Z7 would have no such problems. This makes me VERY hesitant to buy the Z7 used or at all for that matter :frowning2:

You will be in for trouble everywhere. The number of failures you are reading about here seem quite typical and I would be surprised if any company that produces enough doesn't experience similar issues. Most mass production categories have industry expected failure rates that are reasonable to expect. Based on the information here we have no way of knowing whether or not the Z7 or Z5 fall within that range, so in other words for all you know (or any of us) these headphones may actually by industry standards be more reliable. Be careful making assumptions based on limited data.

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #5,712 of 9,173

I have numerous Sony devices and not one of them failed to work as expected. Please note that most of the time the users that have no trouble do not talk or write about it. But also Lachlan had the driver rattle issue, maybe Sony made a bad batch. Maybe one worker misunderstood the assembly procedure and the test procedure did not catch that issue. Now that they know, they changed the assembly procedure and the test procedure to avoid future failures. That is how we do it. That is how they all do it. Fingers crossed, my Z7 has no issue at all.

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #5,713 of 9,173
Hell...all this is making me paranoid. Did it happens out of the box ? Or after burn-in and some usage ?

I've had mine since October with zero issues.  And mine is an insanely low serial number...

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #5,714 of 9,173
Mine are from November last year, zero issues.

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #5,715 of 9,173

I have numerous Sony devices and not one of them failed to work as expected. Please note that most of the time the users that have no trouble do not talk or write about it. But also Lachlan had the driver rattle issue, maybe Sony made a bad batch. Maybe one worker misunderstood the assembly procedure and the test procedure did not catch that issue. Now that they know, they changed the assembly procedure and the test procedure to avoid future failures. That is how we do it. That is how they all do it. Fingers crossed, my Z7 has no issue at all.

Of course I have faith in them to fix it. My main gripe with the Z5 was the loose connectors and they were all earllier batch of serial numbers. My latest one was in the 2000's and connectors were solid. So its a matter of getting the latest batch. Which is an issue in and of itself. If there was a way to ensure you're getting a unit from the later batches, would give some peace of mind. I have had sony products since I was a child (playstation for lyfeee lol) so i have faith in their manufacturing prowess.

One thing I really liked about the ex1000 when I had it, was the immense build quality. Solid connectors and really aesthetically pleasing. I just wish they carried over the features that made it so sturdy to the Z5 and Z7 in some aspects. I am pretty set on getting a Z7 but I have to make sure it has warranty, otherwise with my luck I know I am gonna have problems lol.

Been keeping an eye on the FS section and found a few but most wont ship internationally 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back