Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Aug 13, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #5,716 of 9,173
My serial # is 14021

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #5,717 of 9,173

Of course I have faith in them to fix it. My main gripe with the Z5 was the loose connectors and they were all ear batch serial numbers. My latest one was in the 2000's and connectors were solid. So its a matter of getting the latest batch. Which is an issue in and of itself. If there was a way to ensure you're getting a unit from the later batches, would give some peace of mind. I have had sony products since I was a child (playstaiton 4 lyfeee lol) so i have fait in their manufacturing prowess.

One thing I really liked about the ex1000 when I had it, was the immense build quality. Solid connectors and really aesthetically pleasing. I just wish they carried over the features that made it so sturdy to the Z5 and Z7 in some aspects. I am pretty set on getting a Z7 but I have to make sure it has warranty, otherwise with my luck I know I am gonna have problems lol.

Been keeping an eye on the FS section and found a few but most wont ship internationally 

I was also disappointed of the housing / cable / connector design that the XBA-H3 has when I got it. They did not carry over any of the EX1000 strengths to them. But they claim that the Z7 carries the genes of the EX1000. So they are sometimes allowed to run free and do an unlimited design. EX1000 is epic and Z7 is epic. The Z5 is only average I guess. Good sound, but average built. I really dig the built of the EX1000 and the Z7. In both cases including the cable.

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #5,718 of 9,173

I was also disappointed of the housing / cable / connector design that the XBA-H3 has when I got it. They did not carry over any of the EX1000 strengths to them. But they claim that the Z7 carries the genes of the EX1000. So they are sometimes allowed to run free and do an unlimited design. EX1000 is epic and Z7 is epic. The Z5 is only average I guess. Good sound, but average built. I really dig the built of the EX1000 and the Z7. In both cases including the cable.

crap this makes me regret selling the EX1000. This is not good for me as I have been known to make emotional or impulse purchases from time to time :wink:  I have been a sony fan since I was a child and I suppose I can justify getting both the Z7 and Ex1000 as "keeping it in the family" :p

I want the entire collection eventually, Z7, Z5 (already have), EX1000 (buy again for the 2nd time), MDR 7550. Who knows it might be worth in the future! I am trying out the Oppo Pm3 loaner and it makes me want to get the Z7 even more. The PM3 is nice don't get me wrong, but I like more what the sony house sound offers, atleast for a fatigue free listening experience. 

Only thing thats left is to get a good balanced amp/dac for my mac and phone. I was considering the GO V2 but considering how ugly it is I might have to wait. I will get the Fiio X7 and a balanced module. If Pono offered a USB DAC option I would buy that in a heartbeat!

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #5,719 of 9,173
I run my  Z7 from a Meier Audio Jazz atm. It has Meier Audio's proprietary active balanced ground technology. That is balance mode with single ended cable. I love their amps. This amp will be upgraded to their new frequency adaptive feedback technology soon. Another proprietary tech that is brand new. It will greatly reduce treble distortion.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #5,720 of 9,173
  I run my  Z7 from a Meier Audio Jazz atm. It has Meier Audio's proprietary active balanced ground technology. That is balance mode with single ended cable. I love their amps. This amp will be upgraded to their new frequency adaptive feedback technology soon. Another proprietary tech that is brand new. It will greatly reduce treble distortion.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

But audible distortion from sources is almost non-existent these days. We can't hear distortion that is 0.05% so where would the audible treble distortion come from?

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #5,722 of 9,173
But audible distortion from sources is almost non-existent these days. We can't hear distortion that is 0.05% so where would the audible treble distortion come from?

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/amplifiers/75-amp-tests/118-distortion.html

and distortion is accumulative. 0.005% here and there, material nonlinearities, inability to drive the transducer efficiently, low level distortions exacerbated by resonant frequencies of a transducer all contribute to sonic anomalies.

One's psychoacoustics could always choose to filter them out but to deny their existence or some of their audibility is another subject.

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #5,725 of 9,173
http://stereos.about.com/od/accessoriesheadphones/a/Do-Speaker-Cables-Make-A-Difference-Science-Weighs-In.htm

SPOILER: they do make a measurable difference

Measureable does not mean audible; however. I will have to look at the source of the "science". Like many things in life, not all science is equal.

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #5,726 of 9,173

and distortion is accumulative. 0.005% here and there, material nonlinearities, inability to drive the transducer efficiently, low level distortions exacerbated by resonant frequencies of a transducer all contribute to sonic anomalies.

One's psychoacoustics could always choose to filter them out but to deny their existence or some of their audibility is another subject.

Without scientific evidence that these things are additive in such a way to become audible, in the discussion of will this effect what I hear, it doesn't matter if they exist. If it isn't audible it doesn't matter.

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #5,727 of 9,173

Well, arguably true - although live music has distortion too.

For one example, the world's top engineers worked to rid
New York City's prominent Avery Fisher Hall of acoustical anomalies
(i.e. distortion) for 40 years...to no avail. 

And the subway running under Carnegie Hall creates spurious vibrations
as well.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #5,729 of 9,173
Well, I just got an email saying my Kimber Kable mod is complete...

So now I can use amps with 1/4" and 4 pin XLR....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back