Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 26, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #4,711 of 9,173
I would take that with a grain o salt, the Z7 is very nice, but I have owned a 560 for quite some time, and there is nothing besides comfort that the Z7 does better. Now the 560 is quite a bit more extended in the high frequencies, so that could be an issue for some who prefer mellower treble. I would add that the Z7 sounds like a closed back design which can be good depending on your preferences, but the 560 is a very open sounding headphone so it feels less in your head. Depends on the music style as well so some styles will actually feel better with that in your head feel.

While yes, I would take this with a grain of salt, everyone has to remember that every person has different opinions.

Also raulromanjr, I'm curious of what your impressions are going to be, don't forget to post them here!

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #4,712 of 9,173
I would echo Sonic Defender's sentiments that while the Z7 is a good headphone and all, I think... honestly, that comparing it to the HE-560 and LCD-X is really out of line, and stating that the Z7 is more "enjoyable" than the other 2, which is purely subjective, still does not make the Z7 equal to the other 2 in any way.

Objectively, both the HE-560 and LCD-X have much more linear frequency response than the Z7, and also much less weird variations, so both would have better tonal accuracy than the Z7. Also their technology is superior, meaning they would give more details and precision than whatever the Z7 is capable of. In actual listening, I have also confirmed this. All of that was what prompted me to mod the Z7.

As said, the bass on the Z7 is a bit bloated, and it masks other sounds... whereas the treble and midrange on the Z7 are actually very clean and clear, if only Sony would have tuned the bass down a few notches, or do proper damping.

Although I won't be so pretentious as to suggest that my mod for the Z7 is the better method, I'd still voice my concerns with Sony engineers regarding their tuning of this headphone if I see any of them at CanJam this year.

The Z7 has the potential, but they somehow mucked up the tuning IMO.

But just to say... I don't think the Z7 is comparable to a properly driven (with good amplification) HE-560 or LCD-X at all. This is my subjective impressions, but I'm quite certain measurements will show that as well.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #4,713 of 9,173
Just my 2 cents:

Anyone looking to get the Z7 for accurate sound and clarity needs to strongly consider a pure silver headphone cable as well. It cleans up the bass and brightens the highs allowing more detail through.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #4,715 of 9,173
Just my 2 cents:

Anyone looking to get the Z7 for accurate sound and clarity needs to strongly consider a pure silver headphone cable as well. It cleans up the bass and brightens the highs allowing more detail through.

Very true. The silver dragon works amazingly well with the z7. Bass is much tighter and resolution, soundstage, and details are noticeably improved.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #4,716 of 9,173
Very true. The silver dragon works amazingly well with the z7. Bass is much tighter and resolution, soundstage, and details are noticeably improved.

I don't want to start an argument, but I still find this very hard to believe. Also very confusing, because there is one side that is saying how much it improves the sound of your headphones, while there's the other side that's calling it snake oil. I guess I'm never going to come to a conclusion until I try one of these cables myself. On the brighter side, a lot of the third-party cables have a very nice look to them.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #4,717 of 9,173
You know what works amazingly well with the Z7s?
My ears! What bass, resolution, details and timbre. You have to try them to believe it :)
I know, not very funny, but maybe one day I'll decide to give the Kimbers a try.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #4,718 of 9,173
  Just my 2 cents:

I don't want to start an argument, but I still find this very hard to believe. Also very confusing, because there is one side that is saying how much it improves the sound of your headphones, while there's the other side that's calling it snake oil. I guess I'm never going to come to a conclusion until I try one of these cables myself. On the brighter side, a lot of the third-party cables have a very nice look to them.

I mentioned before in this thread that from the descriptions of the Z7 it sounds to me that it has a lot in common with a HD650.
Not a big cable fan but I have experienced the HD650 transforming from a nice pair of cans to a superb one with a silver cable and I suppose that may be the case for some other darker sounding cans with muddy bass. Wouldn't recommend silver on brighter cans though, that'd probably have the inverse effect.
I had very good results with the Artisasn Silver Dream and will have a Toxic Silver Widow (with 1% gold) in a few weeks. That cable has been very highly recommended to me by someone I trust. Cables like that cost about the same as a Z7 though, or double of what a HG650 costs these days but in the case of my 650, which I already like a lot, adding the silver cable made it a phone that easily bests the HD800 IMO.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #4,719 of 9,173
@Bill-P, yes, while my opinion can't be represented as fact, I just can't imagine anybody feeling the Z7 can hang with those other headphones. Now as for liking the sound signature, that is different, perhaps with more time I will like them more. Without a doubt the bass is not well balanced, and sadly a little congested at the same time. Now the D7000 also had poorly balanced bass in that it was also a little over emphasized; however, the bass was technically better in that it was clearer. I'm actually not bashing the Z7, nor was Bill-P, hell we both bought it, but I am lamenting a missed opportunity. With more attention to bass quality this headphone could have been a stunning performer with a killer sound signature. As it stands, it is a very nice headphone, with a very nice sound signature.

I just received my cable adapter so I will be able to drive it from my M3 via the Norne Solv cable so tonight I'll give that a whirl.

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #4,720 of 9,173

I would'nt have believed it either until I heard the difference myself. And those of us speaking about the silver cable have actually taken the plunge. I got mine custom made for $150 via surfcables.com which is $50-100 less! than Sony's asking price for their all-copper Kimber cables.

Its not night/day difference but once you get into the mid to high-range headphones (just like tuning a high end car) improvements are harder to come by unless you add the right pieces.

People keep asking how is the Z7 compared to headphone xyz? Or what mods can be done? Or what amp sounds better with it? Then when anyone mentions a simple cable swap that'll improve Z7 sound across the board (no matter the amp etc.), the idea gets shot down.

Imo, if the stock Z7 isn't quite what some are looking for, it may be more beneficial to look at another headphone altogether like an Oppo, Audeze, etc. for a similar price. Even the Oppo PM-3 at $399 might be a better stock choice for some.

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #4,721 of 9,173

Always a can of worms on the horizon with cable posts on hf...but as you've mentioned, you have to try it for yourself with your own ears.
Most of the time I listen with iems and for all my 3 iems I've bought upgrade cables.

When I change cables on the same iem, I can clearly hear the differences (don't need a blindfolded test for that). When it's placebo afterall (in that case my ears & brain play a great trick on me), well so be it...I'm happy with the result anyway
tongue.gif

The silver dragon works amazingly well with the z7. Bass is much tighter and resolution, soundstage, and details are noticeably improved.

I also have a Silver Dragon cable on my LCD2 that gives exactly the same results as you described...huge upgrade in sq over the stock cable imho.

I had very good results with the Artisasn Silver Dream and will have a Toxic Silver Widow (with 1% gold) in a few weeks. That cable has been very highly recommended to me by someone I trust. Cables like that cost about the same as a Z7 though, or double of what a HG650 costs these days but in the case of my 650, which I already like a lot, adding the silver cable made it a phone that easily bests the HD800 IMO.

You'll probably love the TSW! On my picture above it's the one in the middle (with the new style carbon splitter & plug). I received it last week (after 8 weeks waiting) but it's already by far my favourite cable at the moment. Not even fully burnt-in yet (maybe 40hrs of the needed 100hrs). Especially on my 1plus2 it's pure magic...I guess that once you're bitten by Frank's snakes there's no way back
biggrin.gif

Back on topic: I guess my 2nd hand (2 weeks old and only used for a few hours) Z7 will arrive in 2 days, can't wait to hear it for myself...

@ Mink: Prachtig muzieklijstje onder je profiel hoor. Ken alleen Patty Griffin niet => snel checken dan maar...

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #4,722 of 9,173

I would'nt have believed it either until I heard the difference myself. And those of us speaking about the silver cable have actually taken the plunge. I got mine custom made for $150 via surfcables.com which is $50-100 less! than Sony's asking price for their all-copper Kimber cables.

Its not night/day difference but once you get into the mid to high-range headphones (just like tuning a high end car) improvements are harder to come by unless you add the right pieces.

People keep asking how is the Z7 compared to headphone xyz? Or what mods can be done? Or what amp sounds better with it? Then when anyone mentions a simple cable swap that'll improve Z7 sound across the board (no matter the amp etc.), the idea gets shot down.

Imo, if the stock Z7 isn't quite what some are looking for, it may be more beneficial to look at another headphone altogether like an Oppo, Audeze, etc. for a similar price. Even the Oppo PM-3 at $399 might be a better stock choice for some.

I know I can try another headphone, no worries there. I am hoping and still expecting to very much enjoy the Z7, certainly after a little adjusting for the modest bass bloat (it doesn’t take much bloom to sound unbalanced for any headphone). These forums are an important place for researching purchases, and it is a responsibility to post as accurate an impression of a headphone as you can do. To my ears, the Z7 do suffer from bass bloat and some associated loss of detail. I can’t pretend I don’t hear that simply because I purchased the headphone, I call it as I hear it.
When I make a purchasing decision for anything I research here in the forums I appreciate hearing about the good the bad and the ugly. I knew full well to expect the bass issues I’m describing, but I happily purchased the Z7 anyway because despite this, it still is a very nice headphone, but I won’t say that bass is it’s strong suit, that would be a lie as I hear the Z7.
I’m not suggesting it is bad sounding bass, just a missed opportunity where it could have been great. I would really like to know who signed off on the design and why they felt the compromise was needed. I am also aware that what I perceive as a negative may for somebody else be either not that important or even a positive attribute. As I said, I did find the Z7 performed better with less bass centric music so perhaps for me this isn’t my go to electronica headphone (which I was hoping for I’ll be honest).
All of this said, I remain confident that some learning and some gentle parametric EQ cutting will greatly improve the Z7s performance in the bass department. I will also acclimate to the new sound signature and very likely start to enjoy it quite a bit, I actually already do.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #4,723 of 9,173
  I know I can try another headphone, no worries there. I am hoping and still expecting to very much enjoy the Z7, certainly after a little adjusting for the modest bass bloat (it doesn’t take much bloom to sound unbalanced for any headphone). These forums are an important place for researching purchases, and it is a responsibility to post as accurate an impression of a headphone as you can do. To my ears, the Z7 do suffer from bass bloat and some associated loss of detail. I can’t pretend I don’t hear that simply because I purchased the headphone, I call it as I hear it.
When I make a purchasing decision for anything I research here in the forums I appreciate hearing about the good the bad and the ugly. I knew full well to expect the bass issues I’m describing, but I happily purchased the Z7 anyway because despite this, it still is a very nice headphone, but I won’t say that bass is it’s strong suit, that would be a lie as I hear the Z7.
I’m not suggesting it is bad sounding bass, just a missed opportunity where it could have been great. I would really like to know who signed off on the design and why they felt the compromise was needed. I am also aware that what I perceive as a negative may for somebody else be either not that important or even a positive attribute. As I said, I did find the Z7 performed better with less bass centric music so perhaps for me this isn’t my go to electronica headphone (which I was hoping for I’ll be honest).
All of this said, I remain confident that some learning and some gentle parametric EQ cutting will greatly improve the Z7s performance in the bass department. I will also acclimate to the new sound signature and very likely start to enjoy it quite a bit, I actually already do.

I agree 100%.

The Z7's bass isn't perfect and their overall sound sig is as unique as their spec sheet. How each of us hears that bass and works around it (if desired) can be very different.

Seems most people either like or dislike the Z7 while the rest of us love them. Haven't really heard any hatred towards the Z7 which says a lot.

I prefer to EQ as a last resort but swapping cables cleaned up the bass for me; though its still not as clean as the bass from the PM-3. Of course, there's not as much bass on the PM-3 but what is there is much cleaner. Silver cable or not, I've rarely touched my Z7 since getting the PM-3 which also says a lot.

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #4,724 of 9,173

You know what works amazingly well with the Z7s?
My ears! What bass, resolution, details and timbre. You have to try them to believe it :)
I know, not very funny, but maybe one day I'll decide to give the Kimbers a try.

Well...no worries.  Just give it a try.  The difference between the moon-audio Silver Dragon and stock cable is enough to draw an immediate difference.  Whether you like the difference or in my case "improvement" is an entirely up to you.  Why don't you hop on a flight and I'll treat you with the DIY T2 + SR009 setup?  
beerchug.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #4,725 of 9,173
Got them and listened to them for a couple of hours. Played Supertramp, Steely Dan, Rush,Ozzy Osbourne, Pat Methany, Hiromi and Chick Corea. I'm not an experienced audiophile so my thought on the Z7 might not be the detailed information you get here from others. With that out of the way...
The Z7 has an incredibly 3D-like soundstage. Instruments seemed well separated and very detailed. To my surprise, the treble was nice and extended with a loot of energy. Vocals where smooth and well presented. Now the bass was where I experienced some confusion and maybe that's just because it worked well in some songs while it sounded a little fat in others. Detail was present in the upper part of the bass spectrum which made Neil Pert sound amazingly accurate.
the Z7 does seem to like a lot of power. I played my E-12 louder than I ever had before. I decided that the AMP's bass boost function should be left engaged.
These phones are very enjoyable and totally immerse you in whatever song your playing. It really feels like you are listening to live musicians. For those that are interested, I listed to 96 & 192 ALAC files fed from my Android to my iBasso d-zeroMK2 for DAC duties and then to my FiiO E-12. I used the single-ended cable that came with the phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back