Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 26, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #4,726 of 9,173
A few more things. The Z7 is very light and comfortable. The build quality is good but I did find a little too much play in the headband, cups and yoke. I would have preferred a more precise and tight fit between all the connecting parts. The cables are nice and flexiblE but a bit long for a portable setup. One thing I'm not liking one bit is this weird clicking and crackling sounds that I hear in my ear whenever I put the cups on my ears or if I adjust them in any way. Note that this was not electrical as it happens when they aren't plugged in. Isolation is good but not great.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #4,727 of 9,173
Whew, well it is nice to report some good news! So with my new cable adapter that allows me to go into my NAD M3/Gungnir rig I was able to do some more testing. Without a doubt, much of the bass congestion is as I reported in the 250hz frequency. Likely there are a few others, but I'm going to only adjust one and see for a time how that goes. So using the parametric EQ in JRiver I cut the 250hz modestly by -2.5db with a narrow Q of .5. The results are quite clear to hear, less muddy bass, surprisingly so. I will stick at this setting for a while before trying anything else, but the improvements are already to my ears considerable. This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody as the 250hz and surrounding frequencies are well know to have a muddying effect when overblown. The Z7 is much easier to listen to now so I hope this can allow me to start to learn about the Z7 where before the muddy bass was as I said previously quite distracting so things are looking up!

I suspect that as good as the PHA 3 is, the M3 and Gungnir are quite a step above so that is a factor as the Norne cable may also be.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #4,728 of 9,173
A few more things. The Z7 is very light and comfortable. The build quality is good but I did find a little too much play in the headband, cups and yoke. I would have preferred a more precise and tight fit between all the connecting parts. The cables are nice and flexiblE but a bit long for a portable setup. One thing I'm not liking one bit is this weird clicking and crackling sounds that I hear in my ear whenever I put the cups on my ears or if I adjust them in any way. Note that this was not electrical as it happens when they aren't plugged in. Isolation is good but not great.

"a little too much play in the headband, cups and yoke; weird clicking and crackling"

Return them. There are none of those imperfections in mine.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #4,729 of 9,173
So I just woke up, and I'm glad to see that no one is mad :D I recently started saving up for the Z7 which will probably take me a few months (I'm a school student) but yeah, I can't wait! As for the cables, if I can find one for cheap I won't hesitate. Oh, and is that cable any good? http://www.surfcables.com/products/sony-mdr-z7

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #4,730 of 9,173
ok, lots of questions and comments.

As for Steve Guttenberg's review, I gotta ask. Has he ever given anything a bad review? I think he might my the most optimistic reviewer I've ever read.

As for the cables, can anyone comment on the basic $66 Z7 cable from Surf Cables? Yes, there is a 30 return policy (kudos), but a review would be nice. A comparison between the stock cable, the $66 cable, the ~$150 surf custom silver cable, and the kimber would be awesome. Measurements would be even better.

As for getting a 150 or 250 cable for the Z7s to tame the base and resolve the treble a little, that makes we think about the price. $699 for the cans plus $249 for a cable, not your talking ~$950. At $950 one has to consider a whole new class of headphones like a Alpha Primes, used TH-900 or Ultrasone Signature Pro. Used the Z7's are going to ~400. Adding a $250 cable and we are back at 650. There are so many options for a closed headphone at ~$650 (EL-8, AH-D7100, Slants, TH-600, Alpha Dogs, and Blackwoods). Then there's the Shure 1540, the Oppo PM3, various Audio Technicas, The T70 (if you like brrright), Focals, M&Ds, more Ultrasones, and a few Yamahas. I'll bet I missed some too! My point is back to the cable. If one needs a $250 to make the cans sound good, then one has to compare that base price plus the cable to others.

Finally, what about balanced vs single ended? How does using the stock balanced cable sound vs the kimber single or surf silver?

Too many darned choices!

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #4,731 of 9,173

As for Steve Guttenberg's review, I gotta ask. Has he ever given anything a bad review? I think he might my the most optimistic reviewer I've ever read.

As for the cables, can anyone comment on the basic $66 Z7 cable from Surf Cables? Yes, there is a 30 return policy (kudos), but a review would be nice. A comparison between the stock cable, the $66 cable, the ~$150 surf custom silver cable, and the kimber would be awesome. Measurements would be even better.

As for getting a 150 or 250 cable for the Z7s to tame the base and resolve the treble a little, that makes we think about the price. $699 for the cans plus $249 for a cable, not your talking ~$950. At $950 one has to consider a whole new class of headphones like a Alpha Primes, used TH-900 or Ultrasone Signature Pro. Used the Z7's are going to ~400. Adding a $250 cable and we are back at 650. There are so many options for a closed headphone at ~$650 (EL-8, AH-D7100, Slants, TH-600, Alpha Dogs, and Blackwoods). Then there's the Shure 1540, the Oppo PM3, various Audio Technicas, The T70 (if you like brrright), Focals, M&Ds, more Ultrasones, and a few Yamahas. I'll bet I missed some too! My point is back to the cable. If one needs a $250 to make the cans sound good, then one has to compare that base price plus the cable to others.

Finally, what about balanced vs single ended? How does using the stock balanced cable sound vs the kimber single or surf silver?

Too many darned choices!

What makes me hesitate on a cable upgrade is the fact that these headphones already come with what seems like a really good cable (OFC, silver coated, 4 conductors, etc).  The length of the original cable is the only reason I might consider another cable. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #4,732 of 9,173

What makes me hesitate on a cable upgrade is the fact that these headphones already come with what seems like a really good cable (OFC, silver coated, 4 conductors, etc).  The length of the original cable is the only reason I might consider another cable. 

I assume you think it's too long. I braided a portion of mine to shorten it

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #4,733 of 9,173

Too funny but probably true!

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #4,735 of 9,173
Very nice.  Got a how to video?

Fold about 12" over twice so you have three wires, then left over, the right over, them left over, then right over, until you braid that 12". For a short cable, start with a longer overlap. The end will continually get tangled as you braid, so you just have to keep pulling the end through. There are various forums and up youtube on cable braiding, so Google is your friend here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt-m6C5-T0M

He braids the whole cable. I suggest only 12-18" when setting up the initial overlap of the folded cable. Remember, don't braid too tight.

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #4,736 of 9,173
So I just woke up, and I'm glad to see that no one is mad
biggrin.gif
I recently started saving up for the Z7 which will probably take me a few months (I'm a school student) but yeah, I can't wait! As for the cables, if I can find one for cheap I won't hesitate. Oh, and is that cable any good? http://www.surfcables.com/products/sony-mdr-z7

Yes, better sounding than stock and much shorter.

Too many darned choices!

Only paid a little over $600 for the z7 AND silver cable (never even tried the kimber). You can find z7s new for under 500.

Not sure why you keep quoting $250 for a cable? Prices $60 and up plus don't have to upgrade the cable, it was just a recommendation and it can wait (used my z7s for months before trying another cable).

Your right, there are a lot of choices which can be (is) overwhelming. I've already mentioned the Oppo PM-3 a couple times. I think its one of the best current all around headphones: less expensive than the others and more portable. More importantly, they have superb sound (not full on bass cannons but great for most all music) and they don't even need an aftermarket cable (imo; plus Oppo usa includes a 2nd shorter cable with remote).

To anyone overwhelmed and/or undecided, I recommend saving yourself some money and frustration of buying/trying a dozen headphones (like many here) and just get the Oppos. 

Right. The stock single end cable is 10ft? If Sony had included a shorter cable (even 6ft would've been better), there would have been less interest in aftermarket ones.

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #4,737 of 9,173
Instead of braiding the cable, why not reterminate it to the right length and make the rest of the stock cable an extension cable? Sony generally use very thin gauge wire. It has been discuss here hence the reason why you can do better. They are build to a specific cost after all.

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #4,738 of 9,173
I don't know if anyone has made any recommendations on songs that sound particularly well on the Z7 but I just got done listening to Hotel California, ALAC 96/24, and it sounds absolutely amazing on the Z7.  Fleetwood Mac's Never Going Back Again (ALAC 96/24) also sounds particularly well.  For some smooth jazz, Pat Metheny's We Go On (ALAC 24/96) and for those with a flavor for some latin jazz, from the Grammy winning album The Offense of The Drum, Cuarto de Colores (ALAC 96/24), I think this song really highlights a lot of the Z7 strengths.

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #4,740 of 9,173
I'm a owner of the following headphones...

Beyer DT880 250ohms
Grado PS500
Grado SR325e
Beyer T51p
Sony MDR-Z7

strange thing is, I always go back to my Sony Z7...the female vocals are just so intoxicating! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back