Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 15, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #4,336 of 9,173
Kimber Kable makes Z7 better. If you don't believe me, you should try it yourself. If you can't hear the improvement after you try it, you can happily return the cable. I've decided to keep the cable.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #4,338 of 9,173
  the placebo is strong in this one...

What are you using as source/amp?  The difference between the stock and the silver cable that I made is very audible out of the PHA3 but less so out of my portable sources.  Two other friends were able to discern the difference and preferring the upgraded cable as well.  You may not be able to hear but please don't doubt others.  To each his own. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #4,340 of 9,173
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG-3KyURXqk

popcorn.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #4,341 of 9,173
For those who do not hear any difference - just save money and stay with stock cables!  I do hear and I always replace stock cable on any IEM or headphone I have.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #4,342 of 9,173
I don't believe in cables, and yes I doubt claims about differences in favour of the expensive cable, but I will never go as far to call cable 'believers' liars or anything in that order.
Yes I'll stick with my stock cables and maybe in the future will get some impedance adapters, I suspect those will have more effect than a new source or amp, not sure though...
Just curious, do the Kimber Kables have a different impedance than the stock ones?

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #4,343 of 9,173
I use a few kimber cables at home, (8tc/4tc for speakers, pjb+silver streak for analog) and I'm thinking of not buying the kimber-Sony cable and just getting a 2m/1.5m silver streak cable.

I'd have to get the 4wire one, like for NAIM DIN socket, which I think has two silver and two copper wires, and then reterminate to 3.5mm jacks, two wires only for each jack.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #4,345 of 9,173
  Kimber Kable makes Z7 better. If you don't believe me, you should try it yourself. If you can't hear the improvement after you try it, you can happily return the cable. I've decided to keep the cable.

Even if the Kimber do make the Z7 sound perfect, Sony is still in the deepest s**t! Since most North America user will return the Z7 within the 14 days return period before they have a chance to tried out the Kimber!

Sony should have included the Kimber Cable and just raised the retail price so that their customer won't get disappointed with their new purchase!

(Sorry, I just return mind, too late to tried the Kimber!)

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #4,346 of 9,173

Even if the Kimber do make the Z7 sound perfect, Sony is still in the deepest s**t! Since most North America user will return the Z7 within the 14 days return period before they have a chance to tried out the Kimber!

Sony should have included the Kimber Cable and just raised the retail price so that their customer won't get disappointed with their new purchase!

(Sorry, I just return mind, too late to tried the Kimber!)

Norne Audio has options for plugs to use with the MDR-Z7 so if you want higher quality materials and cheaper price for performance I don't understand why the Kimber Cable should be the only option. The Norne Audio uses OCC and the Kimber doesn't. Norne uses more advanced cable design in the Solv X and it doesn't cost much more than the Kimber Cable.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #4,347 of 9,173

Norne Audio has options for plugs to use with the MDR-Z7 so if you want higher quality materials and cheaper price for performance I don't understand why the Kimber Cable should be the only option. The Norne Audio uses OCC and the Kimber doesn't. Norne uses more advanced cable design in the Solv X and it doesn't cost much more than the Kimber Cable.

Love my Solv x speaker tap cable.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #4,348 of 9,173
It's like cables are Big Foot or ghosts or Jesus or something. People don't BELIEVE in them, okay....that cracks me up

You know perfectly well what I meant, don't you? I don't believe in sound differences between cables.
People claiming that they hear huge differences in favour of an ugly pair of braided overpriced Kimber cables should be reason enough for me to laugh out really loud, but I don't...
Oh well, why am I so civilised? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #4,349 of 9,173
  You know perfectly well what I meant, don't you? I don't believe in sound differences between cables.
People claiming that they hear huge differences in favour of an ugly pair of braided overpriced Kimber cables should be reason enough for me to laugh out really loud, but I don't...
Oh well, why am I so civilised? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Now Mink, play nice! While I mostly agree that the chance of cables making a significant difference is unlikely I still have some doubt so I'll stay on the fence for now. My inclination is that modest, but audible improvements are possible but I need to test this myself to be sure, and testing is difficult.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #4,350 of 9,173
Sony U.S. store have been out of Kimber "balanced" cable for some time with no ETA. 

What are you guys saying about the Z7 isn't wired for balanced?  Are we talking with even with the "balanced" cable from Kimber?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back