Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Dec 24, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #5,447 of 5,810
The FiiO LC-RE fits your requirements, and is a good match for the Z5. Price-wise, it may be a bit more than what you intend to spend. IMHO it's worth it. Has to be worn over-ear, but can probably be straightened with a careful use of heat gun if preferred.

Dec 24, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #5,448 of 5,810
Sony_XBA-Z5__FiiO_LC-RE__01.jpg

Sony_XBA-Z5__FiiO_LC-RE__02.jpg

Interchangeable jack system is a big plus. On the first picture the 3.5mm is mounted, but the cable also comes with 4.4mm and 2.5mm.

LC-RE sonic gain with the Sony oldies-but-goodies : resolution, bass control, upper energy.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #5,450 of 5,810
Thanks but it's too expensive, I would like to find something cheaper!
Faaeal litz copper cable
Tri Through
Kbear Rhyme

pick your poison and they are all on aliexpress. Very cheap, well built and low measuring.

Jan 6, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #5,451 of 5,810
*Updates*
In these last two weeks i received some tips:
Final E tips
Symbio peels
Azla sedna earfit light
While for the cable i followed @shampoosuicide buying the null arete cable.
For my tastes hands down won the symbio peels.
They give a wide musical extension, providing a more complete and coherent dynamic than the other two tips mentioned.
the basses are powerful and extended, they probably have a less perceptible texture than the low frequencies that the final tips return, but there is no challenge in the territory of microdynamics and timbre coherence.
sedna are also excellent if modified, but still require equalization.
Said that, I LOVE these earphones.
a pinch of equalization on the mids, to do justice to the recessed voices, and the game is complete.
from the nostalgia of my first approach to music, the pure and unassuming feeling is back.
they do not have the detail that an 820 or a utopia can give, but the sound rendering, the sony timbre, is something wonderful, it does not make me think of the paturnie that the classic audiophile arises, in search of better equipment.
hands down, there might be better things out there, but these little babies have everything, absolutely everything.
emotion, romance, detail, involvement.
Shocked, really

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #5,452 of 5,810
hands down, there might be better things out there, but these little babies have everything, absolutely everything.
Shocked, really

I feel the same way.

Also, can you compare the physical differences to the symbio peel and the final e? Basically, is the bore/sound tube bigger or smaller than the Final E? And which one has the softer silicone?

I have the symbio w (that are like the sony hybrids with foam and silicone) but I found them to be little too hard for my ears and they wouldn't seal as well as the Finals.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #5,454 of 5,810
*Updates*
Final E tips
Symbio peels
Azla sedna earfit light
They give a wide musical extension, providing a more complete and coherent dynamic than the other two tips mentioned.
the basses are powerful and extended, they probably have a less perceptible texture than the low frequencies that the final tips return, but there is no challenge in the territory of microdynamics and timbre coherence.
a pinch of equalization on the mids, to do justice to the recessed voices, and the game is complete.
from the nostalgia of my first approach to music, the pure and unassuming feeling is back.
they do not have the detail that an 820 or a utopia can give, but the sound rendering, the sony timbre, is something wonderful, it does not make me think of the paturnie that the classic audiophile arises, in search of better equipment.
Shocked, really

Interesting notes on the tips - thanks!

The only things I'd consider is the Z1R - but very happy for a long time with the Z5s. Maybe I'll change up the source at some point this year (currently using the Fiio M11).

EDIT: What size are you using with the Peels relative to the Sony standard silicon? I'm using medium tips, which are pretty solidly fine. But do like a deep fit.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #5,455 of 5,810
I feel the same way.

Also, can you compare the physical differences to the symbio peel and the final e? Basically, is the bore/sound tube bigger or smaller than the Final E? And which one has the softer silicone?

I have the symbio w (that are like the sony hybrids with foam and silicone) but I found them to be little too hard for my ears and they wouldn't seal as well as the Finals.

I have both. The Peels are definitely softer with a medium-wide bore. Agreed that the Symbio W can a feel a little hard in the ears. I removed the foam from my W to covert them to Peels, and much prefer them that way for both comfort and sound quality. Hope that helps!

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #5,456 of 5,810
I feel the same way.

So, the symbio has a slightly wider hole than the final E; while if we talk about silicone, without a shadow of a doubt the final tips is the most comfortable I have tried, which, however, does not mean that the symbio peels are not comfortable, rather.
simply the final e is the king for comfort =)

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #5,457 of 5,810
Interesting notes on the tips - thanks!

The only things I'd consider is the Z1R - but very happy for a long time with the Z5s. Maybe I'll change up the source at some point this year (currently using the Fiio M11).

EDIT: What size are you using with the Peels relative to the Sony standard silicon? I'm using medium tips, which are pretty solidly fine. But do like a deep fit.
same thing,i use the medium size.
While for the z1r never listen.
I would be curious to try them, but in my area there are no local shops where you can test the product; however I trust sony, and as soon as he gets back to work I think I'll give them a nice thought; according to everyone they are technically superior to the z5, being their natural evolution ... what holds me back is that they seem really heavy, many have to say about the comfort of the z5, but to me they wear fabulously, very comfortable ... and I'm afraid of having a product in my hands that I know if I can wear it, it is always a lottery to take a product without having had the opportunity to have tried it ... so that in June if you can move I go to Japan and I could try them ..

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #5,459 of 5,810
*Updates*
Final E tips
Symbio peels
Azla sedna earfit light
Shocked, really

BE64357C-0984-4A25-8974-7BE172137F29.jpeg

I always love to read about people getting lasting success just making small improvements along the way. At times we tend to think this game is based on big changes but it's really in the details at the end. I have not yet got the success you have with tips but know it may be out there.

Walkman 1Z, (direct-mode) Region changed to "J" then MrWalkman DMP-Z1, Kimber/Sony MUC-M12SB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn-MMCX and XBA-Z5 with L Sony clear silicone hybrid tips.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #5,460 of 5,810
im thinking of selling mine (US) wondering if anyone would be interested? has stock cables and the little carrying pouch but not the original box, cables only changed 2 times total (from stock to upgrade, then back to stock).
well after much deliberation, ive made up my mind. for anyone interested in buying a pair, they're up for sale, selling cause i want to upgrade.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-sony-xba-z5.953169/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back