Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Dec 11, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #5,431 of 5,804
P.s
For those who own a sony wm1a or wm1z dap, I personally used these settings to get the best sound out of the z5 (with sedna earlights):
31 Hz: + 6.0 dB
62 Hz: + 7.5 dB
125 Hz: + 7.5 db
250 Hz: + 7.5 dB
500 Hz: + 10 dB
1 Khz: + 10 dB
2 Khz: + 10 dB
4 Khz: + 3 dB
8 Khz: + 3 dB
16 Khz: + 3 dB
High Gain:ON
Region: CN
For those of you who have the opportunity to do this work let me know what you think, and I hope I have been useful for this fantastic community !!

I think you can go ahead and reduce every band by -3db from your settings. You'll still have the same response but more headroom for volume adjustments.

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #5,432 of 5,804
How much would used Z5's go for now? Saw a few previously for $200-250 but not sure if that's the right price range given how old these are now.

1 of the earbuds on mine unfortunately imploded after one year of use. I have a balanced cable and WM1A but been using it with my ultimate ears (2006 :D) since Z5s died.

Would it be better to just go for one of the newer models at this point? Feels bad that I spent a few hundred on an upgraded cable and can't use it. Sony's customer support for high end earbuds is absolutely abysmal.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #5,433 of 5,804
How much would used Z5's go for now? Saw a few previously for $200-250 but not sure if that's the right price range given how old these are now.

1 of the earbuds on mine unfortunately imploded after one year of use. I have a balanced cable and WM1A but been using it with my ultimate ears (2006 :D) since Z5s died.

Would it be better to just go for one of the newer models at this point? Feels bad that I spent a few hundred on an upgraded cable and can't use it. Sony's customer support for high end earbuds is absolutely abysmal.

My first set of z5 died a month after the warranty expired, and it was going to cost me $75+shipping just to see if they could be fixed, and then I would get quote the fix price. It's the one thing that keeps me from being an unabashed sony fan boy.

But I would say ~$250 for a used z5 sounds about right. Despite these being 6 years old now, they still easily compete with anything in the $500 price range today. Not to mention, just like the still valuable EX1000, the z5 has a unique 16mm DD inside of it, as even the other XBA-A range used a similar sized but uncoated version of the driver.

FiiO has probably gotten the closest to the z5 with the $500 FH7 and its 13.6mm BE coated driver, but even then it's still a different overall presentation than the Sony.

Another good modern chifi comparison would be the upcoming Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk, which I think is $350 new. And given Crinacle's predilection for bass and his love of the z1r, I would bet that it pleases anyone who likes the z5.

Dec 15, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #5,434 of 5,804
Hi

Could someone please give a summary on how to avoid MMCX connectors breakage on Z5?
My current understanding is that one should minimise cable changes and maybe don't use the default cable (???)
And use it carefully ofc

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #5,435 of 5,804
Hi

Could someone please give a summary on how to avoid MMCX connectors breakage on Z5?
My current understanding is that one should minimise cable changes and maybe don't use the default cable (???)
And use it carefully ofc

As you already know minimum cable changes. There is a small yellow tool that I’ve seen people use? I don’t need the tool as I don’t have to change the Z5 cable hopefully.

But my suggestion (while maybe not practical) is simply keep them is a small box which does not place strain on the connection area. People may use them outside, but my way (so far) has been to simply keep them in a box and use them at home like full-size headphones?

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #5,436 of 5,804
As you already know minimum cable changes. There is a small yellow tool that I’ve seen people use? I don’t need the tool as I don’t have to change the Z5 cable hopefully.

But my suggestion (while maybe not practical) is simply keep them is a small box which does not place strain on the connection area. People may use them outside, but my way (so far) has been to simply keep them in a box and use them at home like full-size headphones?

Fully agree with the usage - these are very much an at home IEM and a box is a good idea to ensure minimal strain on the connector area.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #5,437 of 5,804
Fully agree with the usage - these are very much an at home IEM and a box is a good idea to ensure minimal strain on the connector area.
2256F6B7-0BBB-4CA0-8C76-C554FFADC19B.jpeg

They sound their best inside too. :)

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #5,439 of 5,804

Thanks!
I'm not a person who's into switching cables, just wondering if a different one would be better... from some mechanical point of view I guess?

I plan to use Z5 only at home, there's ANC wireless buds for outdoors

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #5,440 of 5,804
Thanks!
I'm not a person who's into switching cables, just wondering if a different one would be better... from some mechanical point of view I guess?

I plan to use Z5 only at home, there's ANC wireless buds for outdoors
Then you'll be fine. BTW, because I also have a Sony DAP (WM1), I went straight to the official Sony upgrade cable (MUC-M12SB1) and never disconnected it from my XBA-Z5...that was about 4 years ago. Use the IEMs at home 3-4 times per week. Sounds great from Sony DAP.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #5,441 of 5,804
My first set of z5 died a month after the warranty expired, and it was going to cost me $75+shipping just to see if they could be fixed, and then I would get quote the fix price. It's the one thing that keeps me from being an unabashed sony fan boy.

But I would say ~$250 for a used z5 sounds about right. Despite these being 6 years old now, they still easily compete with anything in the $500 price range today. Not to mention, just like the still valuable EX1000, the z5 has a unique 16mm DD inside of it, as even the other XBA-A range used a similar sized but uncoated version of the driver.

FiiO has probably gotten the closest to the z5 with the $500 FH7 and its 13.6mm BE coated driver, but even then it's still a different overall presentation than the Sony.

Another good modern chifi comparison would be the upcoming Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk, which I think is $350 new. And given Crinacle's predilection for bass and his love of the z1r, I would bet that it pleases anyone who likes the z5.

Thanks Charlie. Completely agreed, their customer service for out of warranty stuff is extremely poor (and warranty life is short to begin with). Even for their newest flagships ($1.7K) if it breaks the day out of warranty you're out of luck. With the ZBAs I had no ability to fix them at all, Sony does not sell any of the parts to the 3rd party repair companies that service Sony out of warranty items.

Appreciate the suggestions and thoughts!

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #5,442 of 5,804
Hello,
I bought the Sony xba-z5, it's a great iem! I would like to buy a balanced cable with 4.4mm plug for my WM1A. I would like something vey light and flexible.
Please can you recommend me some cable? Copper or Silver?
Thanks.

Dec 22, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #5,443 of 5,804
Hello,
I bought the Sony xba-z5, it's a great iem! I would like to buy a balanced cable with 4.4mm plug for my WM1A. I would like something vey light and flexible.
Please can you recommend me some cable? Copper or Silver?
Thanks.

If you're interested, I can sell my balanced cable I purchased from Sony (never used) for my WM1A.

I never had a chance to use them as one of the xba-z5 earbuds broke before the cables arrived :/

Dec 22, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #5,445 of 5,804
The tutorial itself is simple, it is within everyone's reach and the modification is easily reversible.
1)
To start we need a small layer of memory foam (no other sponges like cotton, they alter the sound making it ringing)
The memory foam can be found easily on ebay.
IMG-20201209-WA0004.jpg
2)
After finding the foam it is necessary to work it with a knife with a sharp blade, being careful with your hands; this small bundle of foam that we will create will have to be inserted between the outer side of the bore and the ear bud.
In my case, having the sedna tips size S, I hadn't comfort problems at all, on the contrary, it gives a better sense of stability.
make a cut with a thickness of 0.5 / 0.6 mm, and a length equal to the diameter of the hole of your tips.
IMG-20201209-WA0005.jpg
3) The photo above doesn't show the sedna tips, as it is on the z5, but the work is the same.
At this point we overturn the silicone ear bud of our tips, in such a way as to have the hole totally external from the tips; wrap it with the previously created foam strip (obviously the work must be done for both tips)
the wrapped strip, which will be supported by our fingers, will have to stay inside, so gently put the ear bud back in its position (if during the process the foam strip is coming out, just press it inside the tips with a needle or with a toothpick, the result will be this.
IMG-20201209-WA0007.jpg
...And this Is the tips mod.
IMG-20201209-WA0006.jpg

P.s
For those who own a sony wm1a or wm1z dap, I personally used these settings to get the best sound out of the z5 (with sedna earlights):
31 Hz: + 6.0 dB
62 Hz: + 7.5 dB
125 Hz: + 7.5 db
250 Hz: + 7.5 dB
500 Hz: + 10 dB
1 Khz: + 10 dB
2 Khz: + 10 dB
4 Khz: + 3 dB
8 Khz: + 3 dB
16 Khz: + 3 dB
High Gain:ON
Region: CN
For those of you who have the opportunity to do this work let me know what you think, and I hope I have been useful for this fantastic community !!
i was using memory foam from a pair of tips, changed to the ones in my pillows... dude! spiral dots went from good tips to "Thats it"

got back my bass impact and even added a bit of depth to the soundstage, it works wonders this method

Users who are viewing this thread

Back