Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Nov 11, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #5,416 of 5,804
I am debating on getting the Z5 again specially after having in my possession the IER-Z1R. As I liaten to classical music, I often found the treble extension and clarity of XBA-Z5 to seriously lack. Perhaps I let it pass, I enjoyed my time with the Z5

@Damz87 did you had kimber kable for z5? Sid treble extension and clarity improved or remained same dark sounding? Also sis you heard the upper supertweeter making clicking sounds with treble intensive tracks?

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #5,417 of 5,804
I am debating on getting the Z5 again specially after having in my possession the IER-Z1R. As I liaten to classical music, I often found the treble extension and clarity of XBA-Z5 to seriously lack. Perhaps I let it pass, I enjoyed my time with the Z5

@Damz87 did you had kimber kable for z5? Sid treble extension and clarity improved or remained same dark sounding? Also sis you heard the upper supertweeter making clicking sounds with treble intensive tracks?
I didn't like the Kimber Kable with Z5, mostly because of the ergonomics but also the sound to a lesser extent. I found the Kimber Kable too heavy and would pull the IEM's out of my ears. Sound wise, the warm tonality of the Kimber was simply too much for my taste. I used the IER-M9 cable instead, which I found to be perfect both sonically and ergonomically.

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #5,418 of 5,804
I recently had the opportunity to buy a pair of z5, and reading for the thread I read that some excellent tips for the z5 would be the sednaearfitlight.
Arrived yesterday and tried, but the bass cadence is totally damped, for a bit more resolution than the other tips and a reduced soundstage.
it will seem absurd to you, but the same resolution, with a much wider soundstage, with a delicious bass ... I found them with the tips of .... xiaomi mi true earbuds basic. (the only advantage of sedna is that the voices are more marked, a peculiarity that benefits the z5 well)
for those who have the opportunity to mount these tips let me know what you think 😄

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #5,419 of 5,804
I recently had the opportunity to buy a pair of z5, and reading for the thread I read that some excellent tips for the z5 would be the sednaearfitlight.
Arrived yesterday and tried, but the bass cadence is totally damped, for a bit more resolution than the other tips and a reduced soundstage.
it will seem absurd to you, but the same resolution, with a much wider soundstage, with a delicious bass ... I found them with the tips of .... xiaomi mi true earbuds basic. (the only advantage of sedna is that the voices are more marked, a peculiarity that benefits the z5 well)
for those who have the opportunity to mount these tips let me know what you think 😄
The wider the bore, the less bass and more chaotic fr, I use acoustunes a08 with the z5 and ex800st and the quantity of bass and instrument separation is incredible

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #5,420 of 5,804

I have made the mistake of not trying enough tips with the Z5. Especially when you start to realize how tips create imaging and separation in places. It seems while the included Hybrid tips create a ton of bass, there are latent qualities of the XBA-Z5 waiting to be fully explored. :)

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #5,421 of 5,804
The wider the bore, the less bass and more chaotic fr, I use acoustunes a08 with the z5 and ex800st and the quantity of bass and instrument separation is incredible
For IER-Z1R I do prefer AZLA xelastec, the grip and isolation is top notch, plus a wide bore, nice stage increase.

Xelastecs are comfortable as and isolate as comply foams with the advantage of being of plastic TPE to be precise.

Only con is that I'd you choose wrong size (too big) they will deform easy and be rendered useless faster, the bigger the size for your ear the faster they degrade. This time I ordered ss-s and MS

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #5,422 of 5,804
I agree with your impression of the Sedna with the Sony. its a change but I feel the bass is just too damped, soundstage is reduces also as you said.
Its interesting you said Xiaomi basic tho, maybe I can pop into one of the nearest xiaomi retail store and pop off their Eartips a bit.

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #5,423 of 5,804
I agree with your impression of the Sedna with the Sony. its a change but I feel the bass is just too damped, soundstage is reduces also as you said.
Its interesting you said Xiaomi basic tho, maybe I can pop into one of the nearest xiaomi retail store and pop off their Eartips a bit.
yes, i re-evaluated xiaomi tips, listening to sedna for a long time, i always prefer xiaomi, but the voices are too recessed, even if the stage is wide.
i just bought symbio peel tips and final tips.
as soon as they arrive I listen to them both and I will give you my impressions ☺️

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #5,424 of 5,804
yes, i re-evaluated xiaomi tips, listening to sedna for a long time, i always prefer xiaomi, but the voices are too recessed, even if the stage is wide.
i just bought symbio peel tips and final tips.
as soon as they arrive I listen to them both and I will give you my impressions ☺

I have gone through many phases with tips for the z5. I've spent the most time with:

1) sony hybrid (discontinued).

2) comply sony isolation tips (amazing seal, great bass and sound stage, but can give you some subdued treble depending on music genre, also they need to replaced somewhat regularly).

3) CURRENT TIPS - Final E. These give the best bass response without affecting sound stage or details. They are clearly modeled after Sony tips, but they have a stronger bore and better feeling silicone to me.

Other tips I've used for a bit but didn't like as much:

SednaEarfit (all types - regular, short, light) - great fit and gives the treble some breathing room, but overall a too wide of a bore. That being said, the short earfits are an improvement over the regular here as it brings the tip of the nozzle closer to your eardrum, this can affect sound stage, but improves response across all frequencies. If you find the z5 bass a little overbearing, these are actually a good choice.

Symbio W - these are the hybrid (foam and silicone) tips that are modeled after the Sony tips that came with the z5, but for me both the silicone and foam are too hard and doesn't make a good seal, unless you go with a size up from your normal size, but that wasn't comfortable to me. (I haven't tried any other symbio tips, like the peel)

JVC Spiral Dots - basically everything said about the regular sedna earfits applies here.

SpinFits - These are actually quite good on Sony iems, really good bass response, however I find that they can add at times increase sibilance. I still use SpinFits on some other IEMs, but I think the Final E tips are overall better while being quite similar.

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #5,425 of 5,804
Small update.
Since I have a lot of free time, waiting for other tips to arrive, I tried to make some changes to my sedna earlights.
What kind of change? Simple ... inserting some memory foam ... you can make fun of me
... but the result leaves you speechless.
The bass cadence returns, but not only quantitatively, but also qualitatively.
The high frequencies retain their high resolution, but without the slightest hint of listening fatigue.
But what stunned me is how the memory foam literally expanded the sound.
If you can try, it is not difficult to find, but the result is guaranteed
And through a bit of equalization, I accentuated the mids, since the z5s tend to leave the voices recessed.
I'm really happy with these earphones, they are small but they have everything to deliver noteworthy sound, and satisfying too.
Consistent sound,cohesive sound,natural highs, great bass,and wide soundstage.
Without a doubt there are other more expensive alternatives and just as many, if not more valid.
But the fact is, that with € 400.00 you can take home a jewel of the Sony house...and the sound is unique. Change my mind

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #5,426 of 5,804
Small update.
Since I have a lot of free time, waiting for other tips to arrive, I tried to make some changes to my sedna earlights.
What kind of change? Simple ... inserting some memory foam ... you can make fun of me
The high frequencies retain their high resolution, but without the slightest hint of listening fatigue.
And through a bit of equalization, I accentuated the mids, since the z5s tend to leave the voices recessed.
I'm really happy with these earphones, they are small but they have everything to deliver noteworthy sound, and satisfying too.
Without a doubt there are other more expensive alternatives and just as many, if not more valid.
But the fact is, that with € 400.00 you can take home a jewel of the Sony house...and the sound is unique. Change my mind

Have any photos of the process?

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #5,427 of 5,804
Small update.
Any photos of the end result? I did it yesterday, the sound was awesome, though fit wasn’t comfortable at all

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #5,428 of 5,804
Ok guys,i'm preparing the tutorial

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #5,429 of 5,804
The tutorial itself is simple, it is within everyone's reach and the modification is easily reversible.
1)
To start we need a small layer of memory foam (no other sponges like cotton, they alter the sound making it ringing)
The memory foam can be found easily on ebay.
IMG-20201209-WA0004.jpg
2)
After finding the foam it is necessary to work it with a knife with a sharp blade, being careful with your hands; this small bundle of foam that we will create will have to be inserted between the outer side of the bore and the ear bud.
In my case, having the sedna tips size S, I hadn't comfort problems at all, on the contrary, it gives a better sense of stability.
make a cut with a thickness of 0.5 / 0.6 mm, and a length equal to the diameter of the hole of your tips.
IMG-20201209-WA0005.jpg
3) The photo above doesn't show the sedna tips, as it is on the z5, but the work is the same.
At this point we overturn the silicone ear bud of our tips, in such a way as to have the hole totally external from the tips; wrap it with the previously created foam strip (obviously the work must be done for both tips)
the wrapped strip, which will be supported by our fingers, will have to stay inside, so gently put the ear bud back in its position (if during the process the foam strip is coming out, just press it inside the tips with a needle or with a toothpick, the result will be this.
IMG-20201209-WA0007.jpg
...And this Is the tips mod.
IMG-20201209-WA0006.jpg

P.s
For those who own a sony wm1a or wm1z dap, I personally used these settings to get the best sound out of the z5 (with sedna earlights):
31 Hz: + 6.0 dB
62 Hz: + 7.5 dB
125 Hz: + 7.5 db
250 Hz: + 7.5 dB
500 Hz: + 10 dB
1 Khz: + 10 dB
2 Khz: + 10 dB
4 Khz: + 3 dB
8 Khz: + 3 dB
16 Khz: + 3 dB
High Gain:ON
Region: CN
For those of you who have the opportunity to do this work let me know what you think, and I hope I have been useful for this fantastic community !!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #5,430 of 5,804
The tutorial itself is simple, it is within everyone's reach and the modification is easily reversible.
1)
To start we need a small layer of memory foam (no other sponges like cotton, they alter the sound making it ringing)
The memory foam can be found easily on ebay.

2)
After finding the foam it is necessary to work it with a knife with a sharp blade, being careful with your hands; this small bundle of foam that we will create will have to be inserted between the outer side of the bore and the ear bud.
In my case, having the sedna tips size S, I hadn't comfort problems at all, on the contrary, it gives a better sense of stability.
make a cut with a thickness of 0.5 / 0.6 mm, and a length equal to the diameter of the hole of your tips.

3) The photo above doesn't show the sedna tips, as it is on the z5, but the work is the same.
At this point we overturn the silicone ear bud of our tips, in such a way as to have the hole totally external from the tips; wrap it with the previously created foam strip (obviously the work must be done for both tips)
the wrapped strip, which will be supported by our fingers, will have to stay inside, so gently put the ear bud back in its position (if during the process the foam strip is coming out, just press it inside the tips with a needle or with a toothpick, the result will be this.

...And this Is the tips mod.

P.s
For those who own a sony wm1a or wm1z dap, I personally used these settings to get the best sound out of the z5 (with sedna earlights):
31 Hz: + 6.0 dB
62 Hz: + 7.5 dB
125 Hz: + 7.5 db
250 Hz: + 7.5 dB
500 Hz: + 10 dB
1 Khz: + 10 dB
2 Khz: + 10 dB
4 Khz: + 3 dB
8 Khz: + 3 dB
16 Khz: + 3 dB
High Gain:ON
Region: CN
For those of you who have the opportunity to do this work let me know what you think, and I hope I have been useful for this fantastic community !!
I was using an actual memory foam tip, i do have some spare memory foam from my pillow, I’ll take a bit tomorrow and do it. Will let you know :) thanks for the pictures

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back