Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Oct 3, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #5,386 of 5,805
1) I can't compare z5 to m7 or andro, but both of those are multi-BA, so off the bat you are going to a much larger and more visceral bass response with the z5. The z5 has a 16mm DD, bigger than you're basically going to find in any earphone still to this day.

2) Depends. Do you have a balanced source, if yes you will want to take advantage of the extra power from balanced. Stock cable isn't junk but is also just okay. Proper source/amp is going to be more important, as the z5 have a relatively high impedance and benefit from a lot of power. I recommend the sony/kimber cable (can be found for $100-$150 on ebay) but more cable answers in answer 3.

3) I had an MMCX fail on my first z5 just after the warranty expired which sucked, but going second hand you won't have a warranty anyhow. My 2nd set has been good so far for a couple of years now, but I changed the cable very infrequently. I finally have the sony/kimber 4.4 cable on and will never be removing it. Like all MMCX there's a risk, but if you are careful and don't swap cables a lot, you should be fine, it's also good to find a cable that fits snugly so there's minimal movement in the connection, which I think is what actually causes the mmcx to fail on the z5. I had the original non-balanced upgrade cable on the my first z5. It had the same mmcx connection as the stock cable which was was supposed to make the connection more secure, but wasn't designed properly and so there was a ton of movement and eventually the left monitor just couldn't make a stable connection. You don't need to get a sony cable also, I also had the ISN C4 cable on the z5 for a while, that fit well. I have an Effect Ares II cable that didn't not fit well as the mmcx plugs were two small and allow for too much movement.

Anyway, I still think the z5 are still some of the best earphones you can buy at any price range. Except if you have $1700, then get the z1r.
does mmcx connection typically fail on earphone side or on chord side?
what is the risk of buying used pair regarding mmcx?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #5,387 of 5,805
does mmcx connection typically fail on earphone side or on chord side?
what is the risk of buying used pair regarding mmcx?

Usually fails on the earphone side.

The risk in buying a used pair has to do with how often the previous owner changed cables and how secure the connection is on the cable they were using.

Oct 11, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #5,388 of 5,805
I sold my Z5 and now have the N3 (as I missed the Sony hybrid sound) which developed a mmcx issue but I tried the mmcx fix where a pair of thin tweezers can realign the inner thin connector part (squeezing together) and I have had no issues since. Use Google or YouTube.
Also there is a new tool that helps disconnecting the cables to prevent pulling on an angle and damaging the connectors.
It's a shame to disregard these iems if there is a prevention and cure for the mmcx issue.
*the fix worked for me but there may be different issues with the connectors, just sharing my experience.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #5,391 of 5,805
Hello guys,
I lost the eartips for my XBA-Z5..
Which should i buy for XBA-Z5 ? (Premium quality will be better)
My ear size is medium.
I thought the AZLA Sedna Earfit lights worked terrifically when I owned the Z5. YMMV...

https://www.amazon.com/AZLA-SednaEarfitLight-Pairs-Size/dp/B083XS7P6Y?th=1

I prefer the Final E tips on the z5 as they are the closest to the stock tips and I think reproduce the sound that was intended by Sony compared to other tips. I've had every type of Sedna tip on there, earfit regular, light, short, and the xelastecs. As well as comply iso and comfort. as well as sprial dots and the symbio w. All of the tips listed work well with the z5, but the Final E is the winner for me.

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #5,392 of 5,805
Nov 4, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #5,393 of 5,805
so, after @Redcarmoose made his review of the xba n3ap (and i had one loaned on hands and was already amazed by how it changed by changing tips and cable) i dived into the z5, found one used on Amazon JP (which blocked my credit card and made my bank go crazy cause they thought someone was cloning my account) i got it for 44,103 yens (import and shipping fees included which ended up being more than i anticipated) (420 usd) it includes 4.4 and 3.5 cables and in the pictures it looked ok... at least the magnesium shell looked perfectly fine... with this i end my audiophile purchases of the year, im really excited about it since the xba n3 turned to be a perfect pair for my taste, with proper source it became a little 3d monster (spinfit cp100 made the imaging totally 3d and i loved the bass on em) the sony soundhouse is my cup of tea, i own as well the ier m9 and find that it can be the perfect pair with proper tips, though its quite power hungry and i dont like to be carrying 900 dlls around ...

so after 6 years, this beast still really relevant, next year im hoping for the ex1000 (just for curiosity) and the ier z1r, if business gets back on track.

OH BY THE WAY! if anyone is interested accesory jack has a couple brand new xba n3ap, i think it was an excellent price (280 usd plus shipping)

Kind regards to all :D

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #5,394 of 5,805
Hello guys,
I lost the eartips for my XBA-Z5..
Which should i buy for XBA-Z5 ? (Premium quality will be better)
My ear size is medium.

E4A2D74D-48E7-4D05-82F3-AFCBC99B9394.png
E89B3E11-3BEE-4544-82C2-BE17ADC3BD6D.png
77B9A08B-AD0D-44F5-B748-EFD25D26C2B8.png
A5B5C788-F993-4C1C-8C42-72D9398DD20D.png
52283A24-C184-4FAA-B039-9C0D55B90DB2.png

I actually think getting the original tips may be slightly difficult. This seems like a replacement and they look correct but I always remember the model number having a 10 not an 11 like this one. You have a couple options though. First off it’s close to get the clear silicone hybrids that come with the M9 and IER-M7. Those are also the same that come with the IER-Z1R. I forget but there is even a budget Sony IEM that you will hear about from time to time that actually comes with the whole set of clear Sony Hybrid Silicone Tips. Forget the model but it the little white Sony with the small white cable that you at times see with orange tips. But you buy that whole IEM set for $20 and get tips. Keep in mind it’s generally thought that the original black Sony Hybrids that came with your Z5 make the bass slightly better. Meaning the original tips add slightly more bass to the XBA-Z5 and IER-Z1R, XBA-N3 than these new clear Sony Hybrid Silicone Tips do.

Part of my success was actually not using the Sony Hybrids with the N3 and switched to DUNU blue L which seemed to increase imaging and reduce bass with the N3. But I have to say taking the blue L DUNU tips over to the Z5 was a disaster. Strangely the wrong tip on the Z5 can reduce all the bass just leaving a slight grainy mid-section? :)

So I would at least try and get the originals just to have so that you have your original sound to go back to as you remembered it. At least you have that as a reference as tips are a big deal. There are also ways of simply asking in threads to see if folks have you size laying around that they don’t use. I know the Hybrids came with the XBA-N3, XBA-100 and XBA-Z5. Probably a lot more.

Good luck.

Edit:
I saw once that you could get a whole new set of Hybrid Clear Silicone Tips with these for $20?
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-mh755.23501/reviews

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #5,395 of 5,805
I’ve spent a good part of the day today trying to replicate (with EQ) the XBA-N3 sound on the XBA-Z5. Now I just did a poetic review for the N3 only because the XBA-N3 did such a big jump with the 1A and the new DMP-Z1 MK2 emulator firmware by MrWalkman. Though after today I have of course given up all EQ and left the Z5 alone to do it’s magic just the way it does it! And it wasn’t like I was promoting the N3 being better than the Z5, though some guess so. Today it was fully seen just how mature and complete the total XBA-Z5 low end and lower midrange is. Just it’s ability to be technically correct on so many levels and just respond playing anything you give it. A new 2020 OST came alive and reminded me of the stone cold classic the Z5 is and will probably always be!

I should maybe do a review of the XBA-Z5 as they are still relevant even today!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-xba-n3.22428/reviews#item-review-24616

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #5,396 of 5,805
I’ve spent a good part of the day today trying to replicate (with EQ) the XBA-N3 sound on the XBA-Z5. Now I just did a poetic review for the N3 only because the XBA-N3 did such a big jump with the 1A and the new DMP-Z1 MK2 emulator firmware by MrWalkman. Though after today I have of course given up all EQ and left the Z5 alone to do it’s magic just the way it does it! And it wasn’t like I was promoting the N3 being better than the Z5, though some guess so. Today it was fully seen just how mature and complete the total XBA-Z5 low end and lower midrange is. Just it’s ability to be technically correct on so many levels and just respond playing anything you give it. A new 2020 OST came alive and reminded me of the stone cold classic the Z5 is and will probably always be!

I should maybe do a review of the XBA-Z5 as they are still relevant even today!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-xba-n3.22428/reviews#item-review-24616
im getting my z5 on monday, i always got this feeling with it and the ex1000 as being legends that were unreachable and not easy to understand, i saw a ex1000 on amazon japan that even though i shouldnt... im tempted... im seriously tempted

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #5,398 of 5,805
im getting my z5 on monday, i always got this feeling with it and the ex1000 as being legends that were unreachable and not easy to understand, i saw a ex1000 on amazon japan that even though i shouldnt... im tempted... im seriously tempted
Hope they last you a long time as they're prone to MMCX failures with just 2 or 3 cable swaps, that happened to me and sold it.

Legend is the IER-Z1R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back