Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Aug 25, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #5,356 of 5,810
I bought my Z-5 more than 5.5 years ago, and the cable has been swapped 3 times:
1) from the crappy stock one to the crappy thick, stiff Sony branded upgrade cable (this was done within the first couple weeks of ownership; used this setup until June of this year);
2) swapped to the cheap (but ergonomically terrific, and from what I could tell, sonically non-compromised) eBay cable I posted about upthread. I ordered this cable before deciding to get a new DAP (Sony ZX-507) and deciding to finally go balanced (never bought into 2.5 all the years I owned A&K DAP);
3) late July, received my modular cable made by DUNU; decided because of MMCX issues, I never want to swap cables again, so I got this cable with 3.5mm SE, 2.5mm balanced and 4.4mm balanced plugs. This cable should work for the remaining life of my Z5.

IMG_1001.jpeg

***The Z5 have been stored in a hard Pelican case from day one with a silicone dessicant pack taped to the inside of the lid to ward off moisture. Interior is big enough so no pressure on the MMCX connectors.***

The last couple months, I've been shopping around for new IEMs. I am not a collector; I have no interest in owning more than a couple sets at the same time. I also set priorities years ago dictating I budget differently than I used to. I have a young daughter, a long term girlfriend I am putting through college, a nice house and 2 cars. Those things take priority, and thus my max for new IEMs is ~$700 (total cost of acquisition, which include another modular cable, probably from DUNU again as I like the build quality).

I can't try stuff, so am going by reviews + my gut feeling. I have not yet come across anything in that price range tempting me to displace the Z5. I'm sure bias is at play.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #5,358 of 5,810
I bought my Z-5 more than 5.5 years ago, and the cable has been swapped 3 times:
1) from the crappy stock one to the crappy thick, stiff Sony branded upgrade cable (this was done within the first couple weeks of ownership; used this setup until June of this year);
2) swapped to the cheap (but ergonomically terrific, and from what I could tell, sonically non-compromised) eBay cable I posted about upthread. I ordered this cable before deciding to get a new DAP (Sony ZX-507) and deciding to finally go balanced (never bought into 2.5 all the years I owned A&K DAP);
3) late July, received my modular cable made by DUNU; decided because of MMCX issues, I never want to swap cables again, so I got this cable with 3.5mm SE, 2.5mm balanced and 4.4mm balanced plugs. This cable should work for the remaining life of my Z5.

IMG_1001.jpeg

***The Z5 have been stored in a hard Pelican case from day one with a silicone dessicant pack taped to the inside of the lid to ward off moisture. Interior is big enough so no pressure on the MMCX connectors.***

The last couple months, I've been shopping around for new IEMs. I am not a collector; I have no interest in owning more than a couple sets at the same time. I also set priorities years ago dictating I budget differently than I used to. I have a young daughter, a long term girlfriend I am putting through college, a nice house and 2 cars. Those things take priority, and thus my max for new IEMs is ~$700 (total cost of acquisition, which include another modular cable, probably from DUNU again as I like the build quality).

I can't try stuff, so am going by reviews + my gut feeling. I have not yet come across anything in that price range tempting me to displace the Z5. I'm sure bias is at play.

Great post! I've only done one change - to 4.4 balanced that Josh recommended from Amazon. No complaints, I needed over the ears for the Z5s to sit nicely and I'm sold on 4.4mm.

How do you find the 507 - many people said the play was too dark for the Z5s?

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #5,359 of 5,810
Has anyone tried their Z5's with Azla Sedna earfit xelastecs?
15983691770465991812881809847607.jpg

Sigh, I've been wanting to order for a while - the cost and potential hassle and confusion with sizing has put me off until now. Look forward to your thoughts as well as how sizing is!

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #5,360 of 5,810
Great post! I've only done one change - to 4.4 balanced that Josh recommended from Amazon. No complaints, I needed over the ears for the Z5s to sit nicely and I'm sold on 4.4mm.

How do you find the 507 - many people said the play was too dark for the Z5s?
I LOVE the ZX-507. Here's the thing, though. I discovered long ago that rather than having a preferred sound that I would pursue come hell or high water, I can actually acclimate to different sound characteristics ***provided*** the gear has minimal technical capabilities; i.e., is resolving "enough". IOW, ear burn-in is real, at least for me, and as long as the sound characteristics don't go off in really weird directions, my ears can adjust and enjoy different things.

I've found the only constant I have is that if bass impact is not there, I don't care how the rest of the sound frequencies are presented; I won't like it. And I do not consider myself a basshead. Bass is the foundation, and simply needs to be there when called upon.

Aug 25, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #5,361 of 5,810
Sigh, I've been wanting to order for a while - the cost and potential hassle and confusion with sizing has put me off until now. Look forward to your thoughts as well as how sizing is!
I dont have the Z5, instead an IER-Z1R and IER-M7, I am using AZLA Xelastic MS, was using sony hybrids MS as well, note that on M7 I am using sony M, havent tried these xelastec on the M7 though

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #5,362 of 5,810
I dont have the Z5, instead an IER-Z1R and IER-M7, I am using AZLA Xelastic MS, was using sony hybrids MS as well, note that on M7 I am using sony M, havent tried these xelastec on the M7 though

Thanks for that - I use Mediums so was leaning to MS with the AZLA. If I get around to it over the weekend, I'll suck it up and give it an order.

I LOVE the ZX-507. Here's the thing, though. I discovered long ago that rather than having a preferred sound that I would pursue come hell or high water, I can actually acclimate to different sound characteristics ***provided*** the gear has minimal technical capabilities; i.e., is resolving "enough". IOW, ear burn-in is real, at least for me, and as long as the sound characteristics don't go off in really weird directions, my ears can adjust and enjoy different things.

I've found the only constant I have is that if bass impact is not there, I don't care how the rest of the sound frequencies are presented; I won't like it. And I do not consider myself a basshead. Bass is the foundation, and simply needs to be there when called upon.

Fully agree with the comment about bass impact. I prefer leaning to dark side rather than too bright. Much easier to listen too. I still have somewhere the old Sony ZX1 Walkman - a bit too dark and you definitely noticed it. Non-Balanced as well, when this IEM really should be balanced.

I like Sony players/sound - but after the above experience shied away a bit (the ZX2 was also too dark). The 1A I think will fit the bill, but keen to try the 507 :)

Aug 26, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #5,363 of 5,810
Mine just stay in a box and never go outside. I've maybe changed the MMCX connectors 7 times, but now are staying with the Kimber hopefully forever till they break. But putting them in a tight case, or subjecting the XBA-Z5 to heavy twists on the MMCX contacts seems to create issues. They may not be the best outside IEMs? Yet for the price they can be obtained for today, they do EDM amazingly well for the $. IMO

The Z5 seems rather normal when using standard 3.5mm phone outputs, but get them the 4.4mm amp from the 1A/1Z and they come alive.

I have not tried the M9/M7 IEMs but after owning sets of all BA IEMs, I feel close to knowing what the Sony M9/M7 may sound like? I can guess they maybe fit better than the Z5, they maybe have a different personality by chance in contrast to what someone likes the Z5 for? The trick with the Z5 is to use it exclusively over time and just enjoy it for what it is. Though for traveling I would think an investment into the M7 or M9 would last longer in use.
I tried the M7s and found them rather boring so didn’t bother with the M9. They are amazingly comfortable but that’s about all that stood out. The Z5 just do it for me now that I’ve tried them balanced. I use them at home so I guess the stock box will do.

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #5,364 of 5,810
Has anyone tried their Z5's with Azla Sedna earfit xelastecs?
15983691770465991812881809847607.jpg
Yes, they have a great seal, but I don't love them on the z5 and prefer using the sedna earfit light shorts tips instead. The Xelastecs increase the brightness on most of the iem's I've tried them on and the z5 doesn't need any help there.

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #5,365 of 5,810

IMG_1001.jpeg

TBH, in your price range (including another Dunu cable), I don't think you are going to find much in the upgrade category. The z5 really are that good. You can try some of the other ~$500 hybrids that have been mentioned in this thread: Fiio FH7, ISN H40, Ibasso it04, ThieAudio Legacy 9, Audiosense AQ7 - but I don't know if you'll find them better than the z5, just different. JVC HA-FW1500 might be worth checking out as well.

FWIW, the z5 I think is still the best, but some other and less expensive earphones I've really been enjoying lately are the Tanchijim Oxygen and Final E5000.

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #5,366 of 5,810
Finally got the 4.4 Kimber to complete the z5 package. There is still nothing better than the z5 that doesn't cost $1,700 or more.

IMG_2242.jpg

Aug 26, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #5,367 of 5,810
Yes, they have a great seal, but I don't love them on the z5 and prefer using the sedna earfit light shorts tips instead. The Xelastecs increase the brightness on most of the iem's I've tried them on and the z5 doesn't need any help there.
That's odd because Z5, IMHO were treble recessed, they did increase treble on IER-M7 which helps make this IEM a bit more resolving

Aug 26, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #5,368 of 5,810
That's odd because Z5, IMHO were treble recessed, they did increase treble on IER-M7 which helps make this IEM a bit more resolving

I've also had that believe - recessed treble. But you can become accustomed to the sound of the Z5 and think it's ok - any changes to the signature then feel odd.

But yes the M7 did improve on that, and I guess the M9 on that? Both I guess a nice compliment to the Z5.

Aug 26, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #5,369 of 5,810
I've also had that believe - recessed treble. But you can become accustomed to the sound of the Z5 and think it's ok - any changes to the signature then feel odd.

But yes the M7 did improve on that, and I guess the M9 on that? Both I guess a nice compliment to the Z5.
Both Ms are all BA-setup. IER-Z1R is the logical upgrade to the XBA-Z5
Bass- Z5 is an16mm ALCP DD. IER-Z1R is 12mm but the DD on Z1R is the same tech on MDR-Z1R so ALCP diaphragm and a magnesium dome
Mids: Both use a BA for mids
Highs/Ultra highs: Z5 uses a super tweeter BA, IER-Z1R uses a 5mm ALCP DD

Aug 26, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #5,370 of 5,810

Users who are viewing this thread

Back