Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Aug 26, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #5,371 of 5,810
The dynamic driver and one of the BAs are quasi full range on the Z5.

42ce4d65e144df6dda0d6dda19f00dce

-> https://www.sony.com.my/electronics/in-ear-headphones/xba-z5

That’s facinating and probably goes to explain why the Z5 sounds so cohesive in response? In 2016 they released an entry $60-$100 IEM called the XBA-100 which had a newly developed full-range single BA driver. The XBA-100 is nice but having a pure brass shell meant that they didn’t age gracefully gaining patina.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #5,372 of 5,810
Thanks, hadn't heard about it. That's quite a review you wrote at the time.

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #5,374 of 5,810
Hey All

So is the overall consensus here that if you love the Z5 (proud owner here of 5 years!) I'll love the IER Z1R? Follow-up Q - Chord Mojo good match for Z1R?
In my experience yes, it sounds more refined than the Z5 esp in highs and kid's clarity as well better bass

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #5,375 of 5,810
.the owner of accessory Jack told me that the XBA-Z5 are discontinued since a long time... I expect prices to hike or that they will become harder to obtain.

Also has anyone by chance used the final audio "MMCX ASSIST" tool on their XBA-Z5?

Sep 5, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #5,376 of 5,810
Thanks, hadn't heard about it. That's quite a review you wrote at the time.

But just keep in mind the XBA-100 while being an accomplishment, is still a $60 retail IEM at approximately 1/10 of the price of the Z5 when they both came out.............and you get what you pay for.

Full retail on the Z5 was around $699.
F3B7E802-698D-4AA6-AAAA-30F4C291DA62.png

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #5,377 of 5,810
I suspect there are only a few people that actively still use the Sony XBA-A3 (the Japanese version of the H3).

I spent some time making eq settings via peace/apo for windows 10 and my phone (lgv60). Since I haven't found a good PEQ solution for the v60, I'm staying with a GEQ. The A3 is still a decent IEM in 2020.

- soundstage is still class-leading for the $300-$400 market
- bass is still competitive, though a smidge behind in speed and definition. Excellent extension into the sub-bass range, though.
- highs are still great, good detail without fatigue or sibilance.

eq_sony xba a3.png

sony xba-a3 vs eq vs harman.jpg

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #5,378 of 5,810
I suspect there are only a few people that actively still use the Sony XBA-A3 (the Japanese version of the H3).

I spent some time making eq settings via peace/apo for windows 10 and my phone (lgv60). Since I haven't found a good PEQ solution for the v60, I'm staying with a GEQ. The A3 is still a decent IEM in 2020.

- bass is still competitive, though a smidge behind in speed and definition. Excellent extension into the sub-bass range, though.

eq_sony xba a3.png

sony xba-a3 vs eq vs harman.jpg
I was very happy with the A3 before upgrading to the Z5. I never went back to try it after my ears adjusted to the Z5, but I had about 2 years of audio pleasure.
The XBA range had some excellent iems.

Sep 13, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #5,379 of 5,810

hm? no bud, A3 isn't the Japanese version of the H3, H3 is Sony's first gen hybrid BA/dynamic flagship, A3 is its replacement aka second gen.
H3 has a big port which make it has poor isolation compared to A3/Z5.
A3 and Z5 is nearly identical aside from case material, tweeter design, and included cables (Z5 got balanced cable that's of the same style as Z7, dual LR mono)
still use my A3 it's the best portable movie watching IEM for me, I bring it when I plan to stay at one place for some extended amount of time.
But just keep in mind the XBA-100 while being an accomplishment, is still a $60 retail IEM at approximately 1/10 of the price of the Z5 when they both came out.............and you get what you pay for.

Full retail on the Z5 was around $699.
I really wouldn't recommend XBA100 these days, it was an alright single BA in its days, but IMO the design limit it, its nowhere near Etymotic ER4 quality, and i ended quickly replacing it with a Nuforce HEM 1, which is also 1 BA, just way more capable in filling up all the frequencies, XBA100's high maintenance brass casing is one of its biggest demerit.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #5,380 of 5,810
I was very happy with the A3 before upgrading to the Z5. I never went back to try it after my ears adjusted to the Z5, but I had about 2 years of audio pleasure.
The XBA range had some excellent iems.
Agree
, me too was happy with XBA-A3 before jumping to XBA-Z5. Buy my IER-Z1R makes me so pleased.

I wanted to test an xba-4 but I saw IER-M7 and like it too, I have one hybrid and one full BA (4x BA) IEM. IER-Z1R hybrid approach is rather unique, older xba hybrids use one DD dual BA, IER-Z1R uses dual DD one BA, MAYBE the 5am DD for highs contributes to Z1R non metallic tr ble characteristic of the early XBA lineup, even M7 treble doesn't feel metallic ar all

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #5,381 of 5,810
If it wasn't for that MMCX design defect, I've had kept them
well i see from your profile pic that youve got a z1r now, congrats! how does the z1r's sound signature compare to the z5's? i always imagined it to be more or less the same signature and same bass but more... refined? i guess the word would be. if my z5's ever die (hopefully not for a reeeeaaaally long time) the only upgrade id ever consider would be the z1r

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #5,382 of 5,810
well i see from your profile pic that youve got a z1r now, congrats! how does the z1r's sound signature compare to the z5's? i always imagined it to be more or less the same signature and same bass but more... refined? i guess the word would be. if my z5's ever die (hopefully not for a reeeeaaaally long time) the only upgrade id ever consider would be the z1r
All is more refined in the Z1R, bass more textured, better middle and high clarity and extension, as well imaging and stage
IMO highs deep so natural silky smooth in Z1R vs XBA-Z5 and high felt metallic and not as extended

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #5,384 of 5,810
Agree
, me too was happy with XBA-A3 before jumping to XBA-Z5. Buy my IER-Z1R makes me so pleased.

I wanted to test an xba-4 but I saw IER-M7 and like it too, I have one hybrid and one full BA (4x BA) IEM. IER-Z1R hybrid approach is rather unique, older xba hybrids use one DD dual BA, IER-Z1R uses dual DD one BA, MAYBE the 5am DD for highs contributes to Z1R non metallic tr ble characteristic of the early XBA lineup, even M7 treble doesn't feel metallic ar all
salve!
I'm interested in buying used XBA-Z5. is it good idea?
1) I need a comparison with ier-m7 and andromedas. (I listed both with zx507, but I have no opportunity to listen to z5)
I found ier-m7 pretty boring monitors. andoromedas are quite good. (maybe even semi-impressive)
2) cable, shall I update cable? (I heard stock cable are junk)
3) what's about mmcx connection concerns?
is it reliable in practice? who has several years of recorded usage, have u experienced any issues?

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #5,385 of 5,810
salve!
I'm interested in buying used XBA-Z5. is it good idea?
1) I need a comparison with ier-m7 and andromedas. (I listed both with zx507, but I have no opportunity to listen to z5)
I found ier-m7 pretty boring monitors. andoromedas are quite good. (maybe even semi-impressive)
2) cable, shall I update cable? (I heard stock cable are junk)
3) what's about mmcx connection concerns?
is it reliable in practice? who has several years of recorded usage, have u experienced any issues?

1) I can't compare z5 to m7 or andro, but both of those are multi-BA, so off the bat you are going to a much larger and more visceral bass response with the z5. The z5 has a 16mm DD, bigger than you're basically going to find in any earphone still to this day.

2) Depends. Do you have a balanced source, if yes you will want to take advantage of the extra power from balanced. Stock cable isn't junk but is also just okay. Proper source/amp is going to be more important, as the z5 have a relatively high impedance and benefit from a lot of power. I recommend the sony/kimber cable (can be found for $100-$150 on ebay) but more cable answers in answer 3.

3) I had an MMCX fail on my first z5 just after the warranty expired which sucked, but going second hand you won't have a warranty anyhow. My 2nd set has been good so far for a couple of years now, but I changed the cable very infrequently. I finally have the sony/kimber 4.4 cable on and will never be removing it. Like all MMCX there's a risk, but if you are careful and don't swap cables a lot, you should be fine, it's also good to find a cable that fits snugly so there's minimal movement in the connection, which I think is what actually causes the mmcx to fail on the z5. I had the original non-balanced upgrade cable on the my first z5. It had the same mmcx connection as the stock cable which was was supposed to make the connection more secure, but wasn't designed properly and so there was a ton of movement and eventually the left monitor just couldn't make a stable connection. You don't need to get a sony cable also, I also had the ISN C4 cable on the z5 for a while, that fit well. I have an Effect Ares II cable that didn't not fit well as the mmcx plugs were two small and allow for too much movement.

Anyway, I still think the z5 are still some of the best earphones you can buy at any price range. Except if you have $1700, then get the z1r.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back