Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Dec 4, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #2,657 of 5,810

The ZX2 is not that powerful. It will drive them but you will feel a much better SQ if you add a portable amp. Not necessarily a PHA 3 DAC/Amp combo which is a real overkill for IEM's. Any little Fiio portable headphone amp will do the trick.

On Point. The PHA3 is a complete overkill for the Z5's

Thks mate. I was searching the web for Z5 measurements & came across this Russian site: http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/report/hp/sony-xba-a5.php

Below the first graph at the top of the page, it stated that to reach 94dB SPL only requires 0.034mW. So I guess the ZX2 is enough to drive the Z5 in terms of reaching the desired SPL volume, but there may be not be enough current to feed the 16mm bass driver & the two BA units? Still searching for ZX2 measurements...

More measurements of other IEMs here: http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/report/hp.php

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #2,658 of 5,810

Thks mate. I was searching the web for Z5 measurements & came across this Russian site: http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/report/hp/sony-xba-a5.php

Below the first graph at the top of the page, it stated that to reach 94dB SPL only requires 0.034mW. So I guess the ZX2 is enough to drive the Z5 in terms of reaching the desired SPL volume, but there may be not be enough current to feed the 16mm bass driver & the two BA units? Still searching for ZX2 measurements...

More measurements of other IEMs here: http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/report/hp.php

The ZX2 will be able to drive the Z5 to ear-splitting volumes. I actually advise against adding another FiiO amp to the chain, from my experience they just create more hiss plus I don't need the extra volume. I only need 65-70% power for it to be very loud lol.

Coming from an individual who has been DJing for 6 years with ears practically destroyed says something...

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #2,659 of 5,810

The ZX2 will be able to drive the Z5 to ear-splitting volumes. I actually advise against adding another FiiO amp to the chain, from my experience they just create more hiss plus I don't need the extra volume. I only need 65-70% power for it to be very loud lol.

Coming from an individual who has been DJing for 6 years with ears practically destroyed says something...

Thks buddy. The Z5 with a sensitivity of 108dB/mW should be easy on most DAPs I doubt many listen at that ear-raping level, lol. I hope the nurishment from the Z5 will nurse your ear drums back to health, lol. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #2,660 of 5,810
The ALO RX is a very nice amp, I had it for awhile and I enjoyed it.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #2,661 of 5,810
Dec 4, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #2,662 of 5,810
Dec 4, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #2,663 of 5,810

Thks buddy. The Z5 with a sensitivity of 108dB/mW should be easy on most DAPs I doubt many listen at that ear-raping level, lol. I hope the nurishment from the Z5 will nurse your ear drums back to health, lol. 

I am fearing the contrary lol

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #2,664 of 5,810
Hello my friends

I´m just arrived from my trip to Japan. What a crazy place!

I purchased the Z5, the MUC-M12SM1 cable, i burn in process for more than 100 hours, but i put myself in a big trouble....i also purchased three earphones amps....just to see the results (i will sell the two rejected..)

I purchased a Denon DA-10, a Creative SoundBlaster E5 and a Fiio E11.

I use a Fiio X3 1st edition and my Samsung Galaxy note 4.

Now..., i don´t know what to choose! it´s a bit difficult to find the right option...

The Denon should be the best...but it has no EQ and it doesnt work with the Note 4...

The SoundBlaster sounds fine, it has bluetooth, but the highs are excessive brilliant 

The Fiio E11 has the perfect size, apparently sounds fine, it has a bass boost, and is the cheaper, but i´m afraid it´s not at the level required for a masterpiece like the Z5..

What do you thing about all of this??

Thanks in advance!

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #2,665 of 5,810
I think you should just try each and decide which one you like the best. Asking for advice is great for when you can't try all the products your thinking about but nothing beats actual experience and opinions may actually influence you psycologically.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #2,666 of 5,810
Well friends I may have finally found something I like as much as my Z5 and quite possibly more. The PSB M4U4 arrived today and it simply sounds amazing. It is different than the Z5 obviously but in ways I like. I suspect I will use both since they have different signatures.

The M4U4 offers a bass leaning signature that is not as heavy as the Z5 but deep like the Z5. Its midrange is not as warm and not tilted to the upper midrange either, being nicely balanced for both while a bit forward so vocals stand out but never get shouty. The treble is detailed and airy but like the Z5 is never hot or harsh. It doesn't quite have as big a sound stage or is as 3D like but it is still large and has great imaging and instrument separation. It has better isolation and almost as good a microphonics. I am not sure about wind noise yet but suspect it will have less noise than the Z5. The great news is I get this type of sound with just my LG G3 or the Pono in regular mode versus having to use the Pono in balanced mode with the Z5 to achieve the best sound.

If anyone tried the Z5 or even the 3A/H and wanted a similar sound with less bass emphasis then your wait is over as the M4U4 will give you everything your looking for.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #2,667 of 5,810
Well friends I may have finally found something I like as much as my Z5 and quite possibly more. The PSB M4U4 arrived today and it simply sounds amazing. It is different than the Z5 obviously but in ways I like. I suspect I will use both since they have different signatures.

The M4U4 offers a bass leaning signature that is not as heavy as the Z5 but deep like the Z5. Its midrange is not as warm and not tilted to the upper midrange either, being nicely balanced for both while a bit forward so vocals stand out but never get shouty. The treble is detailed and airy but like the Z5 is never hot or harsh. It doesn't quite have as big a sound stage or is as 3D like but it is still large and has great imaging and instrument separation. It has better isolation and almost as good a microphonics. I am not sure about wind noise yet but suspect it will have less noise than the Z5. The great news is I get this type of sound with just my LG G3 or the Pono in regular mode versus having to use the Pono in balanced mode with the Z5 to achieve the best sound.

If anyone tried the Z5 or even the 3A/H and wanted a similar sound with less bass emphasis then your wait is over as the M4U4 will give you everything your looking for.

I real,y want to try the M4U4... Can you do a brief comparison to the telos Fujisan for me?

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #2,668 of 5,810
I can do that :) but probably not until tomorrow in regards to an A/B test. From memory the Telos is actually similar to the M4U4 in regards having gentler treble. I think the M4U4 may have deeper bass than Telos and possibly a bit more impact. The midrange is also similar to the Telos. But the biggest difference is the level of detail retrieval between the 2 with the M4U4 being more detailed. But as I say I am going from memory so let me do some actual A/B tests and get back to you.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #2,669 of 5,810
Ok isolation is wayyyy better than the Z5 and quite a bit above average, approaching almost Shure levels of isolation for me. I can hardly hear the announcements on the train and the train noise is almost completely gone as well.

Sonic wise these have amazing dynamics allowing them to be delicate and yet powerful as each song requires with an effortless quality I have not heard for quite a while. The last IEM I owned that had the same effortless quality was the MDR-7550 which similarly was a balanced IEM. But the M4U4 goes deeper and a bit higher than the 7550 so improves on that IEM sonically plus has the added isolation, a more manageable cable, easier ergonomics, 2 quality cables, a case... I will stop as I think my is made :).

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,670 of 5,810
Ok isolation is wayyyy better than the Z5 and quite a bit above average, approaching almost Shure levels of isolation for me. I can hardly hear the announcements on the train and the train noise is almost completely gone as well.

Sonic wise these have amazing dynamics allowing them to be delicate and yet powerful as each song requires with an effortless quality I have not heard for quite a while. The last IEM I owned that had the same effortless quality was the MDR-7550 which similarly was a balanced IEM. But the M4U4 goes deeper and a bit higher than the 7550 so improves on that IEM sonically plus has the added isolation, a more manageable cable, easier ergonomics, 2 quality cables, a case... I will stop as I think my is made
smily_headphones1.gif

and what will happen to your Z5's sell or keep?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back