Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Nov 5, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #2,521 of 5,810
I use the x3 with the z5, its good but the z5 needs power. Add an amp and the z5 becomes a great iem.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #2,522 of 5,810
  But that cable makes the Z5 sound better..?

Either cable makes the Z5 sound better, yes. The balanced cable needs the PHA-3, though.

Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Question, does the Japan version of Z5 come with balanced cable?

My friend Naotaka Tsunoda let me try his pair and I have to say it's the BEST universal IEM I've heard to-date.  I'm getting a pair for sure!

Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Played track 8 from this album in AIFF files on iPhone 6.  The realism, the resolution, and the low frequencies definition nearly brought tears to my eyes.  I was absolutely floored...  Isolation on the Z5 is like being in a anechoic chamber.  I did not want to give the Z5 back to Nao.  Even though I know people at Sony Japan, I don't get discounts.  I will buy TWO Z5 at retail, one for spare.  It's that amazing... 

http://www.amazon.com/Brave-Enough-Live-Variety-DVD/dp/B00EQL4S4I/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1413220709&sr=1-4&keywords=sara+bareilles

Quote:
 Originally Posted by jbarstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi ZacT94,

I've been using XBA40i for more than 2 years.  I am happy to let you know that Z5 is definitely worth the upgrade.  I mostly listen to pop, jazz, classical (organ, chamber, opera) , blues on ALAC, FLAC, WAVE, DSDIFF files with no equalizer enhancement on my Sony NWZ-ZX1/PHA-2.  Here is my initial impression after 40 hours listening with the MUC-M12SM1 unbalanced cable ( highly recommended for A3, A2, H3, H2 owners )  It gives better control of the low frequency (tighter and deeper bass) and more presence to your listening experience than the supplied cable. 

Comfort - A sizeable in-earphone but lightweight, very comfortable for long hours listening

Soundstage - Airy, clear, good separation between instruments and voices

Treble -  Crystallized treble with plenty of details coming through without being clinical. Very good clarity. No sibilance.  Plenty of headroom without being fatigued 

Mid - slightly warm mid, clear, engaging with plenty of presence factor, no mid bass bloat to voices and instruments

Bass - Tight, well controlled , clean, impactful when needed, depth of bass

Z5 requires a running in period in order to work to its best ability.  It keeps improving in all areas!  It really shines when listening to high res files! ( Best with Sony PHA-3/ MUC-M20BL1 balanced cable )

Originally Posted by Infinity Knives /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Side note: got the replacement cables for the z5 today and damn these things sound even better. If you're at the point where you can already justify paying for the z5, I would say upgrading the cables are a must, the clarity and separation is astounding.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #2,523 of 5,810
I love the Z5.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #2,524 of 5,810
me too, the Z5 is the best IEM I have owned period. I understand it's price was probably to much and it appears Sony has abandoned it early into its life cycle but I still haven't heard an IEM as good as it.

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #2,525 of 5,810
  me too, the Z5 is the best IEM I have owned period. I understand it's price was probably to much and it appears Sony has abandoned it early into its life cycle but I still haven't heard an IEM as good as it.

Imo the price of the Z5 wasn't too much. It can hold its ground to all iems I've heard up to $1K. The only one in my collection that clearly beats it in sq has a retail price of $1250. Especially the bass and soundstage of the Z5 is spectacular for it's price. That it came with an extra stock cable that also can be used for balanced listening with a Pono player was a welcome bonus 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #2,528 of 5,810
  Ok, so,,,whta´s the best specific cable model do i have to purchase? The MUC-M12SM1?

Thanks!

That cable is normal stereo TRS, the other one has two TRS tips for balakanced like PONO dual-kacjs or PHA3

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #2,531 of 5,810
Nov 6, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #2,533 of 5,810
Hmmm, looks interesting...I might get me one => thanks!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back