Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Sep 22, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #2,431 of 5,804
My friend says that X7 is one of the best DAPs on the market. Up there at the top, and he's heard them all. Best dac I ever heard was the HA1 and apparently the X7 crushes the HA1. But at this price range, they are all awesome at the end of the day, as long as you enjoy the music :)

I plan to use it for spotify, youtube etc. However, I do wish I could audition the ZX100 to see how it sounds but none of my local stores would even carry it

I have asked sony Mexico about the ZX100 availability and they say they don't know for sure if this will be available or not at the eStore (Smells like nope), last year was the first time we got a 64GB walkman model with the A17.

I do enjoy my Music, all flac, most of it 16/44 98% and 2% Hi-res, 100% classical, newer recordings are the ones in hi-res, and some others older DG are in HD, but i am so picky at the recording quality that i' ve picked the best recordings out there that when my dad says he got XYZ Hi-res version of one album i hvae, i compare them first :D and often end liking more the CD version haha

O_o i cannot beleive that the x7 (being a mobile device) crushes the HA1 (desktop device) is just O_o, I could understand the ZX100 crushes the A17 and the zx2 *perhaps* crushes the zx100.

To my ears my A17 neutralizes the A3 bass a bit even more than the HA2, perfect for classical music, they are still on burn-in phase (for me at least 200h or when i note they stop being crazy changing SQ).

Many people say both Z5 & A3 are dark and V-shaped, in my own ears opinion... XBA-H3 were V-shaped and so dark, compared to my A3 (maybe i got a lucky tuning, who knows.. I heard some one say in the H3 forums he had 3 pairs of H3's in his hands and that all sounded differnt O_o)

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #2,432 of 5,804
I have asked sony Mexico about the ZX100 availability and they say they don't know for sure if this will be available or not at the eStore (Smells like nope), last year was the first time we got a 64GB walkman model with the A17.

I do enjoy my Music, all flac, most of it 16/44 98% and 2% Hi-res, 100% classical, newer recordings are the ones in hi-res, and some others older DG are in HD, but i am so picky at the recording quality that i' ve picked the best recordings out there that when my dad says he got XYZ Hi-res version of one album i hvae, i compare them first :D and often end liking more the CD version haha

O_o i cannot beleive that the x7 (being a mobile device) crushes the HA1 (desktop device) is just O_o, I could understand the ZX100 crushes the A17 and the zx2 *perhaps* crushes the zx100.

To my ears my A17 neutralizes the A3 bass a bit even more than the HA2, perfect for classical music, they are still on burn-in phase (for me at least 200h or when i note they stop being crazy changing SQ).

Many people say both Z5 & A3 are dark and V-shaped, in my own ears opinion... XBA-H3 were V-shaped and so dark, compared to my A3 (maybe i got a lucky tuning, who knows.. I heard some one say in the H3 forums he had 3 pairs of H3's in his hands and that all sounded differnt O_o)
You want to remove the bass on the A3? would you do that to home floor standing speakers? The A3 bass is real bass.

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #2,433 of 5,804

I had the H3 before returning it for the Z5, and they are both dark and v shaped imo, but Z5 is much more refined and enjoyable to listen to. I listening to a little bit of everything and classical music in video game sound tracks or movie sound tracks. Z5 works well with almost everything and has one of the biggest soundstage I have heard in an iem, besides the EX1000 and Havi B3 pro 1.

And I am not surprised, the X7 is using the latest sabre dac, so entirely possible that it crushes the HA1. I guess I will know for sure when I get an X7 of my own :p

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #2,434 of 5,804
Used my lonely MDR-1R which are good set but found them to be too mid-centric and to get almostt he same body of A3 had to use Oppo HA-2  Bass+ switch to ON pure joy to use MDR-1R (sinfonia from Bach Cantata BWV 29)

some times the MDR-1R can be as bassy as A3 but depends on recording, f.e Biber Missa Salisburgensis (Musica antiqua Köln 1998 archiv) is tad bassy record so use that 1R without bass boost switch

So far enjoying the body of the A3, first time i am enchanted by a "bassy" headphone, so now i can say **** XBA-H3

Tomorrow i give a shot to the MDR-1R playing some Haydn Baryton trios ( a baryton is like a cello but with sympathetic strings that can be plucked)

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #2,435 of 5,804
  Used my lonely MDR-1R which are good set but found them to be too mid-centric and to get almostt he same body of A3 had to use Oppo HA-2  Bass+ switch to ON pure joy to use MDR-1R (sinfonia from Bach Cantata BWV 29)

some times the MDR-1R can be as bassy as A3 but depends on recording, f.e Biber Missa Salisburgensis (Musica antiqua Köln 1998 archiv) is tad bassy record so use that 1R without bass boost switch

So far enjoying the body of the A3, first time i am enchanted by a "bassy" headphone, so now i can say **** XBA-H3

Tomorrow i give a shot to the MDR-1R playing some Haydn Baryton trios ( a baryton is like a cello but with sympathetic strings that can be plucked)

Same here dude, was a big fan of flat neutral warm earphones until the A3 came lol

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #2,437 of 5,804
This is amazing, that room, that reverb feeling (oboes) in the Canata BWV 26, so delicious sound, amazing sound quality those A3's are giving me with each use during the maturation period, about 45hr burn-in from my target 250h

more sonic bliss Canata BWV 31 sinfonua again and one voice  chorus and instruments... in the sinfonia the violins and oboes sound on my left quite close and the trumpets on the back right far away on the distance, nice representation, in the voice  movement...  a very nice big chorus with the hall reverb and again the solo trumpet accompaining them on the distance, nice BIG SOUNDSTAGE IM LOVING THEM

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #2,438 of 5,804
Does anyone have any experience with the Single ended upgrade cable for the Z5? I have a chance to buy one for 60 bucks and I am curious to see if it offers any improvements over the obvious ergonomic differences?

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #2,439 of 5,804
  Does anyone have any experience with the Single ended upgrade cable for the Z5? I have a chance to buy one for 60 bucks and I am curious to see if it offers any improvements over the obvious ergonomic differences?

some one told me they do improve the A3 in the trebble and mids and soundstage

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #2,441 of 5,804
oh yeah, the A3 shares the exact same connector unlike the H3 right? Do you plan to get the upgrade cable as well? I hope I won't regret the lack of ear hanger. As much as I hate them at times, they really can be comfortable as well.

I'm planning to get it too, i don't like so much the  hooks/hangers, IMO XBA-H3 Hangers were better

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #2,442 of 5,804
  and you note SQ changes with spinfit tips VS sony hybrids (non-foam)?

Yep the spinfit opens up the soundstage and the bass will decrease a little while the sony hybrids have a smaller soundstage compared to the spinfits and the trebles aren't airy like the spinfits. But still i gotta say you need to try them for yourself to see whether it works for you.

I can tell you that the A3's sound quality definitely improve with the single ended upgrade cable, tried the Z5 with & without the upgrade cable at my local sony store. I can't really tell whether there was SQ improvement since its a brief audition but i find the instrument separation and layering improved and the mids/vocals are slightly forward.

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #2,443 of 5,804
i just got my spinfits large and medium, and boy the medium is simply amazing

its true the bass get decreased abit, but i can compensate that with my headstage arrow 5tx and get slamming bass and big soundstage and more airiness

buy  guys its worth it, but make sure to buy two sizes as i thought that the large one would be the one i would use, but i opted for the medium as it gave better seal and better bass.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #2,444 of 5,804
some of you happen to use a L-tip on one ear and M-tip on the other, or different tip sizes in each ear?

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #2,445 of 5,804
Me ears are slightly different size so I can do that but I usually just go large in both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back