Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Feb 4, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #962 of 5,804
OH NO!!!!!!!
My Z5 has just developed the dreaded earpiece cutting in and out on the left ear! I will switch to the default cable tonight but this really sucks. I hate the mmcx connectors for this issue
frown.gif

I have a pair of SE215 with the exact same issue. I think I am going to buy some different types of electrical grease to see if one of those will help. I have no issue testing out on the SE215 but the Z5 are going back for warranty!

Following a recommendation by the Korean Seeko site, I use Deoxit D100L-2C to protect MMCX connectors. So far I've had no issues.

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1610/.f

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #963 of 5,804
Thanks for the product idea James, I was trying to find what to buy. I will put that one on my list.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #965 of 5,804
Deoxit has been ordered and I started a warranty claim with Sony. Will get this all sorted soon :)

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #966 of 5,804
XBA-A3 got here this morning, listening to them now, out of the box they sound great so far, a very pleasant sound.  Great treble region and a nice taught bass. Listening through a NWZ-A17 which will be it's primary source, but may have a PHA-3 before too long...

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #967 of 5,804
  I believe my Z5 has more sub bass than my FX850,  even my FX750 has more sub bass than my FX850.

Since you own them concurrently, I'll defer to your opinion on that. I haven't had my FX850 in a few months, so my memory might be rusty. I would 100% agree that the Z5 is superior overall.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #968 of 5,804
  XBA-A3 got here this morning, listening to them now, out of the box they sound great so far, a very pleasant sound.  Great treble region and a nice taught bass. Listening through a NWZ-A17 which will be it's primary source, but may have a PHA-3 before too long...

Congrats!

I think the treble is the most underrated part of Sony's lineup. Their proprietary BA technology does an amazing job at natural treble timbre and reproduction.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #970 of 5,804
OH NO!!!!!!!
My Z5 has just developed the dreaded earpiece cutting in and out on the left ear! I will switch to the default cable tonight but this really sucks. I hate the mmcx connectors for this issue 
frown.gif

Bummer :frowning2:
I hope this gets sorted out quick...

Thanks for the heads up, indeed switching a bit with balanced cables will stop until I ordered Deoxit then...

Quote:
  I think the treble is the most underrated part of Sony's lineup. Their proprietary BA technology does an amazing job at natural treble timbre and reproduction.

After a 100 hours or so, I came to the same conclusion that I overlooked the amazing treble performance of the Z5, probably due to the facts bass on Z5 are pushing the boundaries far beyond of what I experienced with SE846 or IE800. Detail level is much higher than my first impression (a bit less extension than IE800 but more enjoyable trebles), and I love how the Z5 portrays the treble especially cymbals, reminds me a bit of Final Audio Heaven IV I owned in that respect. I think part of the enjoyment come for how the treble decay, very nice...

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #971 of 5,804
Congrats!

Good to see the treble fixed. Sony's initial attempt into the world of BA drivers the treble was extremely artificial and glaring. Gives me confidence to buy another Sony product

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #972 of 5,804
Good to see the treble fixed. Sony's initial attempt into the world of BA drivers the treble was extremely artificial and glaring. Gives me confidence to buy another Sony product

Yeah I'm pretty picky when it comes to treble as well. I'm very treble sensitive (have sold multiple IEMs for this very reason) but love detailed, well-extended treble that isn't bright or fatiguing. The Z5 has a nice smooth and detailed treble section without any major spikes. Treble is very present and natural, without the metallic distortion or splashy quality that's present in a lot of other pricy IEMs, and cymbals sound awesome. The only downside is the treble extension isn't great, but it's very hard to find an IEM that excels in that regard without being overly bright IMO.

My only problems with the Z5 is the mid bass hump is still a bit too much and can color songs in a way that is a bit unnatural to me on a lot of acoustic tracks, although it is tamed significantly through a lot of burn in. That and there is definitely some distortion due to the bass. Finally, I wish it was just slightly more detailed, but I am spoiled by Legend R.

I really do think that the Z5 is underrated, probably due to the initial reaction to how boomy the mid-bass hump is on first listen to a new pair. I think for the price it's really solid too, considering I still prefer it to IEMs costing a lot more.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #973 of 5,804
  Yeah I'm pretty picky when it comes to treble as well. I'm very treble sensitive (have sold multiple IEMs for this very reason) but love detailed, well-extended treble that isn't bright or fatiguing. The Z5 has a nice smooth and detailed treble section without any major spikes. Treble is very present and natural, without the metallic distortion or splashy quality that's present in a lot of other pricy IEMs, and cymbals sound awesome. The only downside is the treble extension isn't great, but it's very hard to find an IEM that excels in that regard without being overly bright IMO.

My only problems with the Z5 is the mid bass hump is still a bit too much and can color songs in a way that is a bit unnatural to me on a lot of acoustic tracks, although it is tamed significantly through a lot of burn in. That and there is definitely some distortion due to the bass. Finally, I wish it was just slightly more detailed, but I am spoiled by Legend R.

I really do think that the Z5 is underrated, probably due to the initial reaction to how boomy the mid-bass hump is on first listen to a new pair. I think for the price it's really solid too, considering I still prefer it to IEMs costing a lot more.

Exactly, without going into far more expensive pairs. The Z5's really intrigue me, the price does as well, at the moment.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #974 of 5,804
I saw a youtube video of a constest held don't know where
biggrin.gif
 but it was about folks destroying their current headphones and getting new Monster branded phones

O_o wish sony held this destroy your XBA-H3 or MDR-1R and geta  free XBA-Z5 or MDR-Z7 Cans
atsmile.gif

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #975 of 5,804
  My only problems with the Z5 is the mid bass hump is still a bit too much and can color songs in a way that is a bit unnatural to me on a lot of acoustic tracks, although it is tamed significantly through a lot of burn in. That and there is definitely some distortion due to the bass. Finally, I wish it was just slightly more detailed, but I am spoiled by Legend R. I really do think that the Z5 is underrated, probably due to the initial reaction to how boomy the mid-bass hump is on first listen to a new pair. I think for the price it's really solid too, considering I still prefer it to IEMs costing a lot more.

That's definitely something to underline to people auditioning the Z5 for the first time, given that most of the sample they'll have won't be burnt in much, but also my own findings even burnt in is that source is playing a big role, more so than other IEMs I have owned (S846 was not very picky, IE800 a bit much but the Z5's sound sig can vary much more depending on the source you're using. Something that is also quite characteristic of the full sized MDR-Z7).

I'd say the Z5 is picky and the sound sig can be greatly affected by the source. Right out of the ZX1, I agree with the treble and mid bass (although to my ears I don't think they bleed into the mids, rather they owerpower them by being a tad too loud but mids are there and unaffected). As I own the PHA-3, I can testity that bass are more controlled and I don't find the mid bass issue, treble have better extension. Mids are somewhat unchanged to my ears. The FiiO E18 is for me the best listening experience (see my impressions here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/733404/sonys-new-2014-flagship-iem-xba-z5/915#post_11279745) with the Z5 (even better than PHA-3 balanced, yeah).

To sum it up, everything is more balanced, in particular bass are less overpowering like "tamed" and to the right level (not only mid bass but the whole bass), mids are really lusher and fuller which contributes to a very euphonic listening experience, highs keep details while being even smoother (some might not like it, very Final Audio Heaven like trebles).

I think it can be frustrating for Z5 newcomers, as they can be disappointed while feeling the potential, but I guess you'll be happy with them with the right source (be it a player or a DAC/amp) that gets them to truly shine. I have read good things about Z5 paired with iBasso DX90 for example, there are probably other combinations and it probably also depends on your taste. My two cents...

Also, if cable upgrade does as much good as for the Z7, I see the Z5 go to new heights :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back