Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Feb 5, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #991 of 5,805
Maybe just a little comparison... LOL

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #993 of 5,805
Atfer some quality time with the good old iPod Touch 5G and the Z5 (haven't read much about the combo, thought I'd give it a spin), I think it's a far better match to the Z5 than the ZX1 (how ironic!). Obviously you loose the high res capabilities of the ZX1, but on the go I don't mind listening to Spotify at 320kbps.

The sound sig is fairly balanced with the iPod, bass are well extended and have nice impact and texture, but the mids on the 5G are more present than with the ZX1 and highs are detailed although a little bit recessed compared to ZX1 or better to PHA-3. I'd stay the sounstage is a tad narrower, but I am willing to trade this to the more balanced sound sig. That and for us European the more powerful output as you have a toogle to bypass EU max levels. Quite handy for Jazz or Classical on the go if you don't want to carry your mobile DAC/amp.

Given that I am only keeping the Z5, sold the ZX1 and for now I'll stick with the iPod.

I am on the watch for an audiophile player that will pair better with the Z5, if anyone has given the Z5 a spin with FiiO X5, iBasso DX90 or HiFiMan HM-650... maybe even Calyx M ?

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #994 of 5,805
  Atfer some quality time with the good old iPod Touch 5G and the Z5 (haven't read much about the combo, thought I'd give it a spin), I think it's a far better match to the Z5 than the ZX1 (how ironic!). Obviously you loose the high res capabilities of the ZX1, but on the go I don't mind listening to Spotify at 320kbps.

The sound sig is fairly balanced with the iPod, bass are well extended and have nice impact and texture, but the mids on the 5G are more present than with the ZX1 and highs are detailed although a little bit recessed compared to ZX1 or better to PHA-3. I'd stay the sounstage is a tad narrower, but I am willing to trade this to the more balanced sound sig. That and for us European the more powerful output as you have a toogle to bypass EU max levels. Quite handy for Jazz or Classical on the go if you don't want to carry your mobile DAC/amp.

Given that I am only keeping the Z5, sold the ZX1 and for now I'll stick with the iPod.

I am on the watch for an audiophile player that will pair better with the Z5, if anyone has given the Z5 a spin with FiiO X5, iBasso DX90 or HiFiMan HM-650... maybe even Calyx M ?

Try the Shozy Alien.
I suggest you read several reviews and though this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/733349/a-little-about-the-shozy-alien
http://www.head-fi.org/products/shozy-alien-dap

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #995 of 5,805
  Try the Shozy Alien.
I suggest you read several reviews and though this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/733349/a-little-about-the-shozy-alien
http://www.head-fi.org/products/shozy-alien-dap

Thanks for the pointer, off to read this :)

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #1,000 of 5,805
SM64 v2 vs Z5? Anyone?

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,002 of 5,805
^ Both have similar dark and full bodied sound sigs, but z5 is better all round, way better bass quality and timbre, along with clearer mids and treble.

Which one has more bass, Is mid-range slightly recessed in Z5?

I would like to have smoother treble just like SM64, treble can be extended but not piercing as I cannot withstand with a hint of sibilance or harshness in treble or upper mids.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #1,003 of 5,805
Z5 has an interesting sound in that the mids are not in any way affected by the bass, even though the bass plays at a louder level. The z5 treble is smooth like the sm64 but is much better detailed due to tight decay, same for the mids of z5. The bass just hits harder and with more detail than sm64, without impacting the other frequencies. z5 soundstage is larger, more airy and layered than sm64.

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #1,004 of 5,805
^ Both have similar dark and full bodied sound sigs, but z5 is better all round, way better bass quality and timbre, along with clearer mids and treble.

Fully agree with this statement. I owned the SM64 in the past.

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,005 of 5,805

I have the SM64 & Z5, and ^^this^^ is my take on the comparison as well, FWIW.  Plus, for me, I always get a good fit w/ the Z5; the SM64 are a challenge for me fit-wise--I just can't get deep enough insertion unless I Jerry-rig eartips using Comply core w/ Sony hybrid tips (which would otherwise be too big to fit on the SM64 stem/bore).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back