Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Feb 12, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #1,022 of 5,810
  You're right, we all different and prefer different things...

I just wanted to say that the better source you have the better Sony hybrids sound.

Oh I'm sure. I did find my experience with the H3 pretty damn equal across all my sources though. Amped, unamped, iPod, BB Passport, LG G3, Denon receiver, etc...nothing I have made a difference sound wise other than level of volume. The mids and highs just simply weren't where I wanted them.

Hopefully I'll find my Z5 vs. DN-1000 comparison soon!

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,023 of 5,810

Hopefully I'll find my Z5 vs. DN-1000 comparison soon!

Sounds interesting but they are from absolutely different leagues..sound wise
Z5 play in the league of around $1000 IEMs.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #1,024 of 5,810
  Sounds interesting but they are from absolutely different leagues..sound wise
Z5 play in the league of around $1000 IEMs.

I've found that these days...with all these new companies...that a comment like that doesn't hold much weight anymore. I've owned a ton of TOTL IEM's over the years. Just a few back I had a pair of JH16 Pro FP's...even these Dunu's sound a world better in nearly every aspect.

That's $1,150 vs. $200. 

The MDR-EX1000 vs. the Altone200 even showed nearly no difference. Only thing about the EX1000 that I'd say was better was sound stage. Bass, mids, highs...no difference. 

Again, talking, what $600 when released vs. a $125 IEM?

So yeah, I'm sure the Z5's sound great but to say they're in the league of $1,000 IEM's doesn't really say much these days. 

That's why I'm asking for a comparison. For the $100 I paid used for the DN-1000 I'm blown away. I actually can't think of an IEM I've heard that's on this level for quite a while now. Is it the best I've heard? No, of course not, but it's up there with the best I've OWNED.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,025 of 5,810
  I've found that these days...with all these new companies...that a comment like that doesn't hold much weight anymore. I've owned a ton of TOTL IEM's over the years. Just a few back I had a pair of JH16 Pro FP's...even these Dunu's sound a world better in nearly every aspect.

That's $1,150 vs. $200. 

The MDR-EX1000 vs. the Altone200 even showed nearly no difference. Only thing about the EX1000 that I'd say was better was sound stage. Bass, mids, highs...no difference. 

Again, talking, what $600 when released vs. a $125 IEM?

So yeah, I'm sure the Z5's sound great but to say they're in the league of $1,000 IEM's doesn't really say much these days. 

That's why I'm asking for a comparison. For the $100 I paid used for the DN-1000 I'm blown away. I actually can't think of an IEM I've heard that's on this level for quite a while now. Is it the best I've heard? No, of course not, but it's up there with the best I've OWNED.

I hear you, I couldn't believe the HiFiMan RE400, they sound AMAZING! and they are only $80 now

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #1,027 of 5,810
I believe its the UE900 tips. The ue900 tips are actually very good. Brings out the airiness and treble on my other IEMs.

I ordered them on your advice and thanks they're opening the sound indeed (even more than the TF10 tips (but require deeper insertion as the sleeve is shorter), also the quality of the silicon is a bit better and now comfort is very good. 

I always noticed it, but amazing how tips play a big role in an IEM sound, I remember the SM3v2 on first try with the horrible earsonics tips, sounded shallow and plain bad and then with the Westone Star Tips it was heaven...

Anyway, a must try for Z5 owners :)

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #1,028 of 5,810
I ordered them on your advice and thanks they're opening the sound indeed (even more than the TF10 tips (but require deeper insertion as the sleeve is shorter), also the quality of the silicon is a bit better and now comfort is very good. 

I always noticed it, but amazing how tips play a big role in an IEM sound, I remember the SM3v2 on first try with the horrible earsonics tips, sounded shallow and plain bad and then with the Westone Star Tips it was heaven...

Anyway, a must try for Z5 owners :)

Glad that I can be of help! :)

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #1,031 of 5,810
OH NO!!!!!!!
My Z5 has just developed the dreaded earpiece cutting in and out on the left ear! I will switch to the default cable tonight but this really sucks. I hate the mmcx connectors for this issue
frown.gif

sorry to hear. and what is your Z5's serial number? did you get them from Japan?

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #1,032 of 5,810
Nope in Canada. They are currently in Ontario getting repaired.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #1,033 of 5,810
SMH...I'm still surprised that I am not craving another pair of IEMs yet.  When I bought the Z5 (about 7 weeks ago), I truly thought I'd have them on hand while auditioning some TOTL universals. However, after reaching about 50-60 hours of use (and the hence the bass really settling down), the Z5 really came into their own; I easily have 150+ hours on them by now.  I expected to buy something else, TBH; I've actually not taken the time to audition anything else, LOL.

These may not have the prettiest graph measurements, but I really enjoy how they sound.  My only annoyance is I'm still waiting for the (single-ended) Kimber Kable upgrade I ordered two weeks ago.  B&H Photo's product page said 7-14 business more than likely, but had hoped they were just saying that to play it safe.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #1,034 of 5,810
SMH...I'm still surprised that I am not craving another pair of IEMs yet.  When I bought the Z5 (about 7 weeks ago), I truly thought I'd have them on hand while auditioning some TOTL universals. However, after reaching about 50-60 hours of use (and the hence the bass really settling down), the Z5 really came into their own; I easily have 150+ hours on them by now.  I expected to buy something else, TBH; I've actually not taken the time to audition anything else, LOL.

These may not have the prettiest graph measurements, but I really enjoy how they sound.  My only annoyance is I'm still waiting for the (single-ended) Kimber Kable upgrade I ordered two weeks ago.  B&H Photo's product page said 7-14 business more than likely, but had hoped they were just saying that to play it safe.

Which Kimber Kable did you get and what are you hooking it up to it?

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,035 of 5,810
the sony official upgrade cables for Z5 are not engineered by Kimber...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back