Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Feb 3, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #946 of 5,804
The xba a3 is really good, the bass is really powerful and kind of over powering when paired with the xperia z1 smart phone and c&c bh2 amp but in the nw f885 walkman and the same amp the bass is tamed but not enough (I'm a bass head) but all other aspects are vastly improved... also the sound stage is not as good as xba 40 in my opinion compared in some tracks but really good... over all the sound clarity and quality really will impress and the bass has more of an impact than 'blowing air' into your ear. Maybe better amp/dac will improve sound but I need portability so will be using c&c bh2. Might not need amp if using smart phone but via nw f885 amp is required... really worth the money. The ear hanger design though needs getting used to but the design is actually more comfy and practical when traveling. Btw a3 does not sound as harsh as the xba 40 but I found out that high frequency female voices tend to be harsh when volume is turned up in noisy environments. Way better than xba 40 though. It also does not find it hard playing hard rock like the xba 40, I guess the a3 may just about suit any genre. -My 2 cents!

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #947 of 5,804
  The xba a3 is really good, the bass is really powerful and kind of over powering when paired with the xperia z1 smart phone and c&c bh2 amp but in the nw f885 walkman and the same amp the bass is tamed but not enough (I'm a bass head) but all other aspects are vastly improved... also the sound stage is not as good as xba 40 in my opinion compared in some tracks but really good... over all the sound clarity and quality really will impress and the bass has more of an impact than 'blowing air' into your ear. Maybe better amp/dac will improve sound but I need portability so will be using c&c bh2. Might not need amp if using smart phone but via nw f885 amp is required... really worth the money. The ear hanger design though needs getting used to but the design is actually more comfy and practical when traveling. Btw a3 does not sound as harsh as the xba 40 but I found out that high frequency female voices tend to be harsh when volume is turned up in noisy environments. Way better than xba 40 though. It also does not find it hard playing hard rock like the xba 40, I guess the a3 may just about suit any genre. -My 2 cents!

Thanks for the info, my XBA-A3 are going to be here tomorrow morning!

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #948 of 5,804
You are welcome and if u find the a3 shine better with different dac/amp combination let me know...
etysmile.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #949 of 5,804
OH NO!!!!!!!
My Z5 has just developed the dreaded earpiece cutting in and out on the left ear! I will switch to the default cable tonight but this really sucks. I hate the mmcx connectors for this issue :frowning2:.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #950 of 5,804
I have the same problem with my z5. I guess it a common problem.I don even remove my cable at all. Don know what is the issue. But I fixed it by taping the side of the connector with a double sided tape

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #951 of 5,804
I have a pair of SE215 with the exact same issue. I think I am going to buy some different types of electrical grease to see if one of those will help. I have no issue testing out on the SE215 but the Z5 are going back for warranty!

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #952 of 5,804
The Z5 is dead with the stock cable as well. So this is definitely the same issue I had with the SE215, others had with the UE900, and others have had with other MMCX connected cables. I really don't understand why the audio industry continues to use this connector, it has definite design issues. But I will be testing my old SE215 to see if I can overcome the problem because I love the Z5 sound...

But these are going back to Sony as soon as possible for replacement...

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #953 of 5,804
The Z5 is dead with the stock cable as well. So this is definitely the same issue I had with the SE215, others had with the UE900, and others have had with other MMCX connected cables. I really don't understand why the audio industry continues to use this connector, it has definite design issues. But I will be testing my old SE215 to see if I can overcome the problem because I love the Z5 sound...

But these are going back to Sony as soon as possible for replacement...

did you changed cables frquently (attach and detach)? my H3's still sound fine after like 6 months

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #954 of 5,804
I changed them a couple times but not lots. The funny thing is they were working fine and then suddenly the left started to cut out and now almost completely fails all of the time. The thing is the replaceable cable feature is supposed to add reliability And versatility but it actually is a weakness that causes lots of failure.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #955 of 5,804
And this goes back to why Sony should have used a balanced connector for their $1,200 Walkman: to prevent users from continually switching cables, potentially shortening their lifestyle.

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #956 of 5,804
I auditioned this at a local store for a short while, and came away impressed. The bass is some of the most textured I've heard even if it isn't the hardest hitting. Mids are very slightly recessed I felt, although perhaps it's the perception due to the spacious overall presentation. highs were smooth and polite, definitely non-fatiguing.

the fit was unorthodox but quite good, though it's not really my cup of tea due to how alien it looked, almost as if there's some probe extruding from my ears

overall, I found it very good, but I wouldn't pay the MSRP for it as I feel there are better options from a value standpoint. I had the chance to audition the cheaper FX850 as well a short time back, and from memory the sound signature is quite similar and of roughly equal quality.

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #957 of 5,804
^ I own both Z5 and FX850 and I definitely find the Z5 better in every area, but you are not wrong in saying they have their similarities. I also find both of them slightly bass heavy and would actually like both their bass toned down a notch personally.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #958 of 5,804
Ahh yes I am very much open to the possibility that I might be wrong. my Z5 audition was all of 10 minutes. the FX850 perhaps even slightly shorter.

I get what you mean with the bass though. It's by no means poor bass, just that it dominates the sound spectrum, which might inhibit the enjoyment of other aspects of music that a more neutral sound sig would be more preferable in reproducing.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #959 of 5,804
  ^ I own both Z5 and FX850 and I definitely find the Z5 better in every area, but you are not wrong in saying they have their similarities. I also find both of them slightly bass heavy and would actually like both their bass toned down a notch personally.

I'd agree with this as I've owned both (and sold the FX850 to a friend). I find the JVC was a bit congested in the lower-mids and upper bass to the point where it felt muddy. I do think the JVC had noticeably better sub-bass but it also couldn't compete at all with the natural treble reproduction Sony's proprietary balance armature design delivers. I think they're both great IEMs, but I definitely prefer the Sony. However, YMMV as everyone hears differently. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I would also note that I find the fit and comfort on the Z5 superior. The FX850 always felt like it was about to fall out of my ear due to the shallow fit, particularly since the heavy cables and connector position did not work well with wrapping over my ears, although they were durable and very easy to roll up. But again, YMMV.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #960 of 5,804
I'd agree with this as I've owned both (and sold the FX850 to a friend). I find the JVC was a bit congested in the lower-mids and upper bass to the point where it felt muddy. I do think the JVC had noticeably better sub-bass but it also couldn't compete at all with the natural treble reproduction Sony's proprietary balance armature design delivers. I think they're both great IEMs, but I definitely prefer the Sony. However, YMMV as everyone hears differently. :)

I would also note that I find the fit and comfort on the Z5 superior. The FX850 always felt like it was about to fall out of my ear due to the shallow fit, particularly since the heavy cables and connector position did not work well with wrapping over my ears, although they were durable and very easy to roll up. But again, YMMV.

I agree with you on the fit part. When I was about to put them on, I simply thought that there was no way this would give a good fit. it sticks out like a sore thumb... but a securely fastened sore thumb. The FX850 in comparison, though I can't recall the sound perfectly, I have clear impressions about its fit. it's a fatter but more conventional sore thumb, if you get what I mean. I also managed to get a nice fit on them though.

I might have to check out the FX850 again after what you just said though. the z5 had a very good subbass IMO, so for the FX850 to be better must be quite something. I don't exactly remember the bass being THAT good during my short audition of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back