Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jul 29, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #2,071 of 5,804
  Wow you have a lot to play and test which matches the best. So you have the Z5 and have been using it?

Used if for 20mins - sounded good out the box - paired with Lotto Paw Gold

Decided to burn in before more use

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,073 of 5,804
  Used if for 20mins - sounded good out the box - paired with Lotto Paw Gold

Decided to burn in before more use

Happy to read that you already have your Z5!
It also sounds great out of my DX90/Hugo stack, which I believe you also have...
Please share your opinion on Z5 later on (after burn-in)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #2,074 of 5,804
Happy to read that you already have your Z5!

It also sounds great out of my DX90/Hugo stack, which I believe you also have...

Please share your opinion on Z5 later on (after burn-in) :)

Yep have dx90j - currently for sale but may keep if the pairing is good.

Hugo also with other flagship Daps too - went source crazy over the last couple of years

Will feedback the synergies when i have time

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2,075 of 5,804
Been eyeing these for a long time but prices has gone up cause tanking AUD.

However seeing so many positive feedback I am keen on getting it now! Does anyone use this on the go though? Can't find many pics of these being used in the real world

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #2,077 of 5,804
I use Z5 on the go with Zx2 walkman taking the train/walking around Tokyo and they are brilliant. 
I also run with them using iPhone and they're still great. 
Not a very scientific review but I do love them and have stopped looking at in ears since. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #2,078 of 5,804
Davidugly - Yeah I have not have that urge to look for an excuse in order to get a new IEM. The Z5 does everything well. Well I did go and but two less expensice Sony IEMS. The A3 is also a good IEM and so is the XB90EX.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #2,079 of 5,804
Davidugly - Yeah I have not have that urge to look for an excuse in order to get a new IEM. The Z5 does everything well. Well I did go and but two less expensice Sony IEMS. The A3 is also a good IEM and so is the XB90EX.

Took a break from the z5 for a little while but came back recently and they are still tops for me. With EQ I can get the XB90EX to give me more satisfying bass, at times, but the z5 regularly feels like it extends lower and nothing can compare to its mids and highs.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,081 of 5,804
  Took a break from the z5 for a little while but came back recently and they are still tops for me. With EQ I can get the XB90EX to give me more satisfying bass, at times, but the z5 regularly feels like it extends lower and nothing can compare to its mids and highs.

I totally agree on the lows...the Z5 goes deep, where probably not many iems have ever gone before...the subbass is on a level on it's own...also the soundstage is among the widest I've ever heard...

But since 2 weeks I have another (flagship) iem, which imo has better mids, highs, imaging and details. It wasn't in the same price range though...for the price that I picked up the Z5 in the classifieds it's absolutely the best ''bang for buck'' iem I've ever bought
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #2,083 of 5,804
If I may ask, is that iem the Tralucent 1plus2 listed in your profile?

Nope, the iem I referred to was the (10BA) Rhapsodio Solar...although I think the Tralucent 1plus2 is also a very good iem

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #2,084 of 5,804
I couldn't take it anymore and opened up the replacement Z5. SN is 2700+ finally. And to top it all of NO loose connectors on either side. last two had left loose connectors out of the box. So I have them in my ears nows. Cant believe I almost sold them LOL. Means it will take a bit longer to save up for an amp/dac and an over ear but its worth it.

Now I Need help getting the best amp/dac for the Z5. Here is what I was considering:
- Apogee Groove
- Headstage Arrow 5Tx (expensive and it takes long time to get the amp)
- Leckerton UHA 6S MKII  (out of stock at the moment)

Which kind of only leaves me with Apogee Groove. Anyone have any good options for balanced amp/dacs? I just can't justify dropping a grand for the PHA-3 :frowning2:  The store where I got the Z5 on clearance had a PHA3 display unit for 500 dollars. Am kicking myself for not buying it then :frowning2:  

I might considering getting a Pono if I can find one for cheap as I am itching to hear what the Z5 sounds like balanced. I am happy that I didn't sell the Z5 in the end as I got it for a crazy price and I know I would have regretted it BIG time if I let it go. Thankfully I cam to my senses (bad for my wallet tho haha)

Edit: am listening to it now and I missed this soundstage quite a bit

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #2,085 of 5,804
welcome back
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back