Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Aug 3, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,103 of 5,804
Is the groupon deal legit? Has anyone received their order the first time when it was on groupon?

I got mine Saturday. It looks genuine with the serial number engraved on metal. The headphone feels all metal. I have never heard Groupon selling fakes. It sounds real too :thumbup:

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #2,104 of 5,804
  https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-sony-hybrid-3-way-in-ear-headphones?utm_campaign=1029&utm_medium=afl&utm_source=GPN&tsToken=US_AFF_0_1029_1327_0&sid=edd24baf8278422593ee4bc5a4d62049

The groupon deal is back in stock for $400 for those who missed out the first time.

Is it new retail box or refurb?

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,106 of 5,804
Sent my new Z5 in for custom sleeves from Westone today. After getting custom sleeves for the IE80. I just can't go back to regular tips again. The Z5 actually fits better than the IE80.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,107 of 5,804
Hey all 

The connector of my right cable into my Z5 is bit looser now. Can be visibly moved up and down into the iem body by 1mm or so...the left side is much less, if at all. 

It's not losing connection and only makes a clicking sound if I am turning my head a lot. So totally managable. 

Does the MUC cable fit into the z5 body a bit tighter than the standard cable? I think the ear guides are adding to the design flaw as they kind of put pressure on the connectors 
and may pull one side over towards the ear and skew the tolerances which could explain the creak and loser fit now. At least with the MUC cable the connector comes up vertical much further 
and so may not cause this. 

is it true the tinsel cables from ALO have connectors with no key to slot into the z5 as the sony made cables do? I could see this being a problem, as the connector could twist 
round 360 degrees no? 

Dan 

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,109 of 5,804
  Hey all 

The connector of my right cable into my Z5 is bit looser now. Can be visibly moved up and down into the iem body by 1mm or so...the left side is much less, if at all. 

It's not losing connection and only makes a clicking sound if I am turning my head a lot. So totally managable. 

Does the MUC cable fit into the z5 body a bit tighter than the standard cable? I think the ear guides are adding to the design flaw as they kind of put pressure on the connectors 
and may pull one side over towards the ear and skew the tolerances which could explain the creak and loser fit now. At least with the MUC cable the connector comes up vertical much further 
and so may not cause this. 

is it true the tinsel cables from ALO have connectors with no key to slot into the z5 as the sony made cables do? I could see this being a problem, as the connector could twist 
round 360 degrees no? 

Dan 

I used a cable that did not have the Sony notch and my first Z5 started to cut out and not work after a couple of months. So I only use the Sony cables with the notch now and have no issues over the past 4 months with my replacement IEM. So I do think the ability to spin ultimately leads to shorts in the connector.

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #2,112 of 5,804
Doesn't the Z5 come with a spare cable?
no, you get one regular stereo cable and 1 special balanced double connector cable for balanced DACs and music players such as the Pono.

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #2,113 of 5,804
Cool, I never opened the cable to look at the connector. That makes sense. They almost look identical to the regular stereo cable.

Quote:
no, you get one regular stereo cable and 1 special balanced double connector cable for balanced DACs and music players such as the Pono.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #2,114 of 5,804
If you go balanced you won't ever want to go back :). I love my Pono Z5 (and Z7 too!!) combo.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #2,115 of 5,804
If you go balanced you won't ever want to go back
smily_headphones1.gif
. I love my Pono Z5 (and Z7 too!!) combo.

TBH its prob one of the best combos I have ever experienced. Super synergy of Z5 sound and PONO. just musical ! The spinfits really improve the depth of insertion also and sound staging. bass too ...makes it tighter but no power loss. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back