Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Aug 17, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #2,116 of 5,804
I struggle getting a good seal with spinfit tips, but I am playing around with JVC spiral tips again and am enjoying them a bit more than the Sony hybrid but only just and would be happy with nothing but the stock tips if I did not own the Spiral's.

Listening to some Diana Krall as I type and loving every moment.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #2,117 of 5,804
I also struggled to get a good seal with spinfits, it could happen but wasn't worth the effort. JVC is doing it right with the sizes in between S-M-L on the sprial dots. With the z5 i've now gone between comply iso plus, spinfits, spiral dots and now back to the sony hybrids - they seem to get the best seal for me and are the most comfortable for longer sessions. The only thing I really learned is that the z5 sound pretty damn great regardless of the tips.

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #2,118 of 5,804
my friend is over in tokyo at the moment ... very tempted to get the upgrade cable (Sony MUC-M12SM1) for my Z5. 
so what is the verdict on them? do you guys think it's worth the $90? 
I thought the Z7 upgrade cable was worth the money I paid while I was in japan .. but the Z5 is already so good.. do they get even better?

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #2,119 of 5,804
  I also struggled to get a good seal with spinfits, it could happen but wasn't worth the effort. JVC is doing it right with the sizes in between S-M-L on the sprial dots. With the z5 i've now gone between comply iso plus, spinfits, spiral dots and now back to the sony hybrids - they seem to get the best seal for me and are the most comfortable for longer sessions. The only thing I really learned is that the z5 sound pretty damn great regardless of the tips.

I actually liked the open sound from the stock tips and I usually never use silicon tips. But I mostly just ues the Comply 500 size tips because I just push them in and it seals.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #2,120 of 5,804
  my friend is over in tokyo at the moment ... very tempted to get the upgrade cable (Sony MUC-M12SM1) for my Z5. 
I thought the Z7 upgrade cable was worth the money I paid while I was in japan .. but the Z5 is already so good.. do they get even better?

Yeah the Z5 is one iem that I never thought of changing the cable. The Z5 really sounded a lt better after burn in and adding a good amp.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #2,121 of 5,804

So I have this cable and I like it. I feel like it improved the width over the stock cable, it's not night and day, but it seemed noticeable to me. I also much appreciate the ergnomics on the upgrade cable as the memory foam on the stocks was a problem for me. However, the potential fit issues are real. My cable locks into place on each monitor, but there's a little give and it moves around some in the housing. It doesn't affect the sound at all but I don't know if it could cause failure down the line. Also, the cable is 'no longer available' at the us sony online store and has been for several months, with no replacement announced - not sure if that means anything... In general I found it worth it at like $130 or whatever it was after shipping, I'm tempted to call sony about a replacement but not sure they even have any more.

http://store.sony.com/high-performance-portable-audio-cable-for-xba-z5-zid27-MUCM12SM1/cat-27-catid-All-Portable-Audio-Cables

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #2,122 of 5,804
thanks for the feedback ... I think I'm going to get it anyway. Since my friend is over there anyway. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #2,124 of 5,804
Hey all 

Got my MUC balanced cable in the post today from Dopaminer. ergonomics are what I have been craving. the std ear hooks really suck in comparison. 

The fit into the iem body is typical..bit wobbly but at least with this cable the way it hits the ears is higher up and so I think will reef on the connect less compared to the std cable. 

The build quality is nice and the length is grand too. It def takes up more space in my peli case so have had to remove the foam kit from it. But its a nice fit now. 

Sound wise it's v interesting. Two things sofar I see as a clear advantage....the z5s are carrying more juice to my ears at lower volumes from my pono. Im listening at 5 o'clock rather than 7 with the new cable for same satisfaction to my ears. 

Also the soundstage is definitely more spacious...I feel listening at work the way I felt with the old cable listening in bed...you hear sounds fade off into the distance more clearly. 

So well worth the cheap price I got it for! If anyone else wants PM dopaminer. 

Dan 

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #2,125 of 5,804

Also the soundstage is definitely more spacious...I feel listening at work the way I felt with the old cable listening in bed...you hear sounds fade off into the distance more clearly. 

Granted I'm not using the balanced, but there was a big difference in soundstage with the single ended upgrade cable too.

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #2,127 of 5,804
I just got my friend to get me the Sony MUC-M12SM1 cable as well while he was in Tokyo ... around A$80. Not bad I reckon .. but he won't be back for a few months. 
I also hope it's as good an improvement as the Z7 KImber cable.

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #2,128 of 5,804
  Hey all 

Got my MUC balanced cable in the post today from Dopaminer. ergonomics are what I have been craving. the std ear hooks really suck in comparison. 

The fit into the iem body is typical..bit wobbly but at least with this cable the way it hits the ears is higher up and so I think will reef on the connect less compared to the std cable. 

The build quality is nice and the length is grand too. It def takes up more space in my peli case so have had to remove the foam kit from it. But its a nice fit now. 

Sound wise it's v interesting. Two things sofar I see as a clear advantage....the z5s are carrying more juice to my ears at lower volumes from my pono. Im listening at 5 o'clock rather than 7 with the new cable for same satisfaction to my ears. 

So well worth the cheap price I got it for! If anyone else wants PM dopaminer. 

Dan 

How much was the cable if you don't mind me asking? Is the single output upgraded cable just as good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back