Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
May 18, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #1,682 of 5,804
  In fact, (and i am a good person thinking this) I really hope that their prices will fall, but they will keep selling. I think that having one of these things would be nice, if they sound good enough that some people buy them at those prices, but they are just too inaccessible to most people, i would really love to have one, if it would be cheaper. (i think so, as i stated, i never had hold one in hand, so i do not really know)(btw, i am happy with my fiio!)

so if you are nice person and you say this with all good heart

now i want to be the evil devil and say this that I wish they they succumb in sales :) ( joking only )

I am kidding, in the end each has their own mind to buy whatever they want, and if i was a millionare i would buy one too, but now I am happy to settle with zx2 , comwon p1 or fiio x7

May 18, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,683 of 5,804
I think going by Tyll's PONO review (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/pono-player-and-promises-fulfilled) and blind testing vs the AK240 sonically there is not much difference. With AK you get man jewellery and lots of functionality but if you are not obsessed with that stuff the PONO esp with its balanced out to z5 seems like a winner. Kinda like the Cowons or Irivers of mid-2000s...**** screens but good sound (for back then anyway)

May 18, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,684 of 5,804
I read Tyll's review last night and agree. I have been holding off buying the Pono but especially for balanced mode I don't think there is anything close to matching what the Pono offers. I actually think it's brightness might be a great match for the Z5 and Z7 bringing a smidge more balance to the sound.

May 18, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,685 of 5,804
I read Tyll's review last night and agree. I have been holding off buying the Pono but especially for balanced mode I don't think there is anything close to matching what the Pono offers. I actually think it's brightness might be a great match for the Z5 and Z7 bringing a smidge more balance to the sound.

yeah if I think about it a more premium company (blinging it out etc, retail sales etc) I reckon their PONO would be over $1000

May 18, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,686 of 5,804

I had the Pono first and bought a Z7 from the classifieds because I wanted to try it in balanced mode, without spending money on an extra balanced cable. I was very surprised (in a positive way) by the result and when I saw a Z5 a few weeks later in the classifieds, it was a no-brainer for me. Both sound great in balanced mode!

Imo the Pono player doesn't have a bright sound signature. I think it has a beautiful, almost ''tube amp'' warm sound over it. The DX90 has a much brighter sound signature imo => maybe that's why it also has great synergy with the Z5...

May 18, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #1,687 of 5,804
Yup, I was talking to a guy at a high end audio store hoping they might have the Pono in stock only to have my fears confirmed (no Pono in Canada yet, it appears the CRTC is being a pain in the a**). But while they didn't sell them he actually had one he bought through Kickstarter. He said the Pono was better than most $1000+ players he heard or sold. He figures Pono may have erred pricing to low as it creates a perception of low value plus makes it almost impossible for Pono to be sold in any fashion other than over the internet.

I think I am going to bite on the Pono. It will be easy to resell if it doesn't work out for me and I really want to hear the difference between standard and balanced modes.

May 18, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,688 of 5,804
  I think going by Tyll's PONO review (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/pono-player-and-promises-fulfilled) and blind testing vs the AK240 sonically there is not much difference. With AK you get man jewellery and lots of functionality but if you are not obsessed with that stuff the PONO esp with its balanced out to z5 seems like a winner. Kinda like the Cowons or Irivers of mid-2000s...**** screens but good sound (for back then anyway)

Proper a/b volume matched blind testing between any two competent DAPS will not reveal any major differences between them.

May 19, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #1,689 of 5,804
Well I took the plunge and ordered the Pono so will know if the balanced cable is worth fussing about soon :).

May 19, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #1,690 of 5,804

Looking forward to hearing your impressions, I'm considering the Pono as well with my Z5 and Z7.

May 19, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #1,691 of 5,804
Well I took the plunge and ordered the Pono so will know if the balanced cable is worth fussing about soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Now we all want to know did you go "Look at me Yellow" or "Stealth Dentist Black" in your colour choice? 

Lol the dentist black is from cycling. In-joke that wealthy professionals go in for off the peg $10,000 bikes in all black. 

May 19, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,692 of 5,804
Well I took the plunge and ordered the Pono so will know if the balanced cable is worth fussing about soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Great! I guess your Z5 will sound very nice out of your new Pono immediately, but it will even starts sounding better over time (mine did) because of this: http://www.ponoworldtimes.com/ponoonlygetsbetter.html

Looking forward to hearing your impressions, I'm considering the Pono as well with my Z5 and Z7.

Ooooh, I see you have them both. Z5 already sounds pretty good single ended out of the Pono, but balanced the sound becomes fuller and has more depth...

With the Z7 the gap between listening single ended and balanced is even bigger imo. I don't think you have heard the Z7 to it's full potential when you've only heard it single ended. To do it justice you really should try the Pono or (from what I've read) the more expensive PHA-3...

May 19, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,693 of 5,804

Thanks for the info Kerouac, this is starting to sound like a much better (for my needs) and cheaper option than the PHA-3 route.

May 19, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,694 of 5,804
That's interesting I never heard of that before. I went black btw :)

May 19, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,695 of 5,804
Anybody out here who has tried both Spiral Dot and Spinfit tips on the Z5?
I really like the Spiral Dots but I'm still a bit curious how the Spinfit tips compare to them...
(Btw, I already saw Dopaminer sells them for $10 a pair)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back