Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #9,575 of 9,635
Thoughts on stock cable?

I'm thinking of getting a 4.4mm black dragon as an upgrade :)
I would pass as I have one and found it wasn't better than the stock cable.

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #9,577 of 9,635
I got both used. Both have long burn in
OK, maybe the painting is not good (sinergy)... guess that I have use my C1R only with Sony sources (WM1A original, and DMP-Z1)

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #9,578 of 9,635
Well, I fixed the crackling issue on my Z1R. I Just used theae lemon with towels that you get at KFC. Which a small Haiti brush I wear up in the towel around it and then inserted on the jacks and rotate it and then I clean the plugs also

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #9,579 of 9,635
This might be a stupid question, but I thought you could use any dual 3.5mm headphone cable with the MDR-Z1R if you didn't care about the extra security of the screw in connectors, but perhaps I am wrong? I just got a custom cable and I get no sound at all.

IMG_2531.jpg

I can see a 0.5mm physical difference where the tip meets the ring but otherwise physically identical, but maybe Sony requires the cables to be wired differently?

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #9,580 of 9,635
This might be a stupid question, but I thought you could use any dual 3.5mm headphone cable with the MDR-Z1R if you didn't care about the extra security of the screw in connectors, but perhaps I am wrong? I just got a custom cable and I get no sound at all.

I can see a 0.5mm physical difference where the tip meets the ring but otherwise physically identical, but maybe Sony requires the cables to be wired differently?
There is no standard for which 2 elements on the trs plug are used or what signal goes to what element between various headphone manufacturers so any given cable may or may not work. When ordering a cable always specify which headphone it is to be used with. Some even just use ts plugs rather than trs

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #9,582 of 9,635

IMG_2531.jpg

I got a DHC Complement C cable for use on my LCD-X with a 3.5mm to Audeze DIN adapter. It worked great, but when I went to use it on my Z1R, no sound.

In talking with Peter he built the cable to work with newer 3.5mm headphones. Previously the wiring he used would have allowed it to with with my adapter and the Z1R. He graciously built me a replacement cable using his old wiring standard and it worked on both cans.

So the moral of the story is you need to be careful when buying 3.5mm cables for the Z1R and verify what cans it works with.

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #9,583 of 9,635
Does anybody know if the Z1R headphone is discontinue or is being faced out. This got me curious as somebody quoted in the. Z1R IEM threat that they're being faced out in the USA. He quoted stating that somebody from mono told him from moon audio, that once they are gone, there will be no more IER-Z1R

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #9,584 of 9,635
I've also heard that the Z1R is going to be discontinued in the US. When I visited a dealer in November last year, the guy there had heard that the last shipment of Z1Rs to the US had been delivered and no more would come. But after I heard that, I saw that a few shops in the US showed them in stock when they didn't have them before (I think Audio46 started showing Z1Rs in stock). Maybe it was that last distribution making its way to the dealers, or that first dealer had been mistaken and they would still ship more units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back