Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 17, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #9,601 of 9,633
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #9,602 of 9,633
Even though the Z1R isn't a hard headphone to drive I have noticed that the more power you give them the better controlled the bass is. The mids and highs don't change too much but the bass sounds much tighter and more balanced with amps that have a good amount of power like my Jot II. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just in my head?
I noticed that too. I recently upgraded to the Burson Soloist 3XGT with 4x Silent Power V2 modules. This allowed me to raise the gain to High and not hear any power hum like I was hearing on my Soloist 3XP which was happening even on Medium gain. The extra power from High gain and the silent noise floor has really elevated these in my ears. Everything sounds fuller when pumping more juice into them.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #9,603 of 9,633
Norne Audio Silver Draug cable. Email Trevor and he will help you @TigzStudio
There's a cable dealer I go to when I need RCA or speaker cables. They retail Mogami by the spool and basically do cable work for studios, karaokes and theatres. I've gone to them for my custom RCAs and speaker cables since their price is reasonable and they'll do termination with Furutech silver solder.
Was considering getting them to make me a custom cable for the Z1R from star-quad Mogami. But I started overthinking about how the two 3.5mm jacks could be complicated and eventually caved and ordered a Forza cable. Looking forward to its arrival next week.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #9,604 of 9,633
@Quasimodosbelfry
thank you very much for these great pictures.
No problem. Only just realized you'd posted on an old thread I started. Hope you got your pouch. I'll post more pics there soon on some new kitt I got.

I'm still wondering if I should obsess over a carry bag for the Z1R... Like, will I even bring it outdoors? It's light but it's bulky. Maybe the Geekria case is enough. 🤷‍♂️

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #9,605 of 9,633
No problem. Only just realized you'd posted on an old thread I started. Hope you got your pouch. I'll post more pics there soon on some new kitt I got.

I'm still wondering if I should obsess over a carry bag for the Z1R... Like, will I even bring it outdoors? It's light but it's bulky. Maybe the Geekria case is enough. 🤷‍♂️
I wouldn't dream of taking mine outside. I'm so enamored by the way the MDR-Z1R sounds.

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #9,608 of 9,633
yup, I think the biggest thing I'll miss from the mdr z1r is the staging width, but the layering and precision of the mv1, along with the improved depth and height more than make up for it.

I think the biggest and best difference between the two is the tonality, the mv1's bass is far less overwhelming. Sounds far more balanced.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #9,609 of 9,633
I think the biggest and best difference between the two is the tonality, the mv1's bass is far less overwhelming. Sounds far more balanced.
I personally don’t feel (and hear) that the Z1R’s Bass is overwhelming. It’s actually the set’s biggest strength, but each to their own.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #9,610 of 9,633
I personally don’t feel (and hear) that the Z1R’s Bass is overwhelming. It’s actually the set’s biggest strength, but each to their own.
Same. I think when bass is needed, the Z1R's can deliver it with accuracy.

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #9,612 of 9,633

Attachments

• IMG_1341.jpeg
    IMG_1341.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #9,614 of 9,633
I just thought I'd ask here, anyone have any resources to properly eq a headphone with? I know a little, however I'd really like to be a pro seeing as I spent so much on these i think tweeking here could be well worth my time instead of spending more cash for now.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #9,615 of 9,633
Very curious what the results are here.
Actually, does anyone know like for a fact if the bass just isn't as present with using just DAP's? I use my sony's with a nw-zx507. I was thinking about upgrading my DAP but I might have to go in a different dirrection.

So would using a desktop amp make a difference in the bass deepness/how hard it hits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back