Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #9,616 of 9,633
Actually, does anyone know like for a fact if the bass just isn't as present with using just DAP's? I use my sony's with a nw-zx507. I was thinking about upgrading my DAP but I might have to go in a different dirrection.

So would using a desktop amp make a difference in the bass deepness/how hard it hits?
My simple answer is, "yes". Anything in the signal path will colour the sound to a greater or lesser degree. Depending on the amp, this could "dramatically" change how your Z1R presents itself...

HOWEVER

It won't change the animal, so to speak. You will still get a similar profile and characteristic that made you buy the headphone anyway. With any half decent amp, you'll likely hear an improvement, even as subtly as more headspace and maybe a bit better separation and presentation. But it won't turn your Z1R into another headphone.
That being said, I'm sure there are absolute POS amps out there that will just kill your love for music. But I reckon if you pick a decent amp (lots of reviews on the forum), you won't be complaining.

Do consider that your mileage may vary, since "bass isn't as present" can be subjective to the listener, the source, the cable, etc.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #9,618 of 9,633
I also don't feel that the bass of Z1R it's neither overpowering nor overwhelming, I use them with that DMP-Z1 ... some recordings might have overwhelming bass. I recently experienced this with. The mozart 255 edition from DG... the bass was so a monster bass already on the mix on the recording. Switching to utopia 2020 didn't help either. It was still very bassy

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #9,619 of 9,633
The more I use the modded mv1 and mdr z1r, the more it feels to me like the differences between the ier m9 and ier z1r.

one is warmer, more midbass, darker, smaller staging but more precise imaging, more of a traditional headphone sound, less fatiguing. (MV1)

The other is more V shaped, less midbass, brighter, bigger staging but a bit more diffuse, more of a speaker sound, more fatiguing (Z1R)

End of the day, good chance I'll keep both, and will update thoughts when I get my acro ca1000.

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #9,620 of 9,633
Don't like how the pads are bring squished at the bottom. Will likely cut the underlying foam a bit so the cups aren't open that wide.
Quick and easy project. Trimmed up the foam a little more so there's less pressure on the earpads. Then picked up some red satin and replaced the black stock one. I think it looks gorgeous.

OK, I'm done now. 😄

Attachments

• IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1355.jpeg
    IMG_1355.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #9,621 of 9,633
Still really keen to try these. Wonder how they stack up against similarly priced closed backs in terms of technicalities and detail retrieval ie would they still hold their own on that front. A Liric 2 comparison would be interesting…

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #9,622 of 9,633
Still really keen to try these. Wonder how they stack up against similarly priced closed backs in terms of technicalities and detail retrieval ie would they still hold their own on that front. A Liric 2 comparison would be interesting…
Have not heard the Liric 2. But the Z1R is technical better than the Radiance and with a bigger stage. The Radiance is better tuned. The Z1R can still compete if you like the signature :)

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #9,623 of 9,633
Mine have now been packed down for at least a year after just not getting any use, prefer the IER-Z1R. I’m not selling them though.

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #9,626 of 9,633
Which is better for watching movies and have more resolution, micro details and deeper bass and wider stage? IER:Z1R or MDR-Z1R?
I only listen to music never movies. Part of my choice is that I generally prefer iem’s to full size headphones but I just generally prefer the IER sound. I must admit I rarely analyze my gear or break it down, I just see if it gives me enjoyment when listening.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #9,627 of 9,633
Which is better for watching movies and have more resolution, micro details and deeper bass and wider stage? IER:Z1R or MDR-Z1R?
I specifically purchased the MDR-Z1R the second time for movies/TV - I wanted a closed back overhead that was comfortable and had a decent soundstage and bass.
I haven't directly compared, but the one time I used the IER-Z1R for a movies I really enjoyed the experience and felt it performed well for all those traits. Although the MDR are quite big they are comfortable and light. One benefit of overheads is you can snack with lesser disturbance as iems in contact with your ear canals amplifies the chewing.

* I just got a chance to do a very quick comparison and favour the MDR. The IER's treble is a bit more extended which might add to the impression of details, but also might make it fatiguing, but then it may be that I'm just used to the MDR? I prefer the stage of the MDR as it seemed to give a better sense of space.
I was using with my iFi Gryphon with XSpace and XBass on watching Rebel Moon. Like album recordings, it may be that another movie soundtrack could come across differently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back