Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 18, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #1,216 of 9,633
If you prefer silver, copper or a mix is entirely up to you. Silver is not "better" for sound. It just happens to cost more. What you like is up to you.

There is no such thing as a "better sound". It's all up to preference. Some may prefer full copper for the Z1R, some prefer silver/copper hybrid, some prefer full silver, some prefer gold. At the end of the day, as long as the choice of material makes your juices flow, that's the only guide you should follow, and of course what your wallet can afford.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #1,217 of 9,633
For the third time I am the proud owner of the Z1R- I have to admit that I fell to the pressure of controversy and started to doubt my tastes in a particular tonality- was it possible that what I liked in this headphones was wrong? Were my ears not prosperly trained to identify what’s good. I decided to try the Aeons but honestly they didn’t bring the joy that this headphones bring. I almost decided to try the ZMF line but coming from Primes I didn’t want anything heavy. So to make the story short, I just learned the lesson of trusting my ears, so don’t care what the experts say, I like the Z1r because I enjoy them. I will refuse to be forced to like something just because some reviewer like it.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #1,218 of 9,633
I just googled Dyson. All I see under headphone cables are a mixture of $50 adapters etc.

What does he charge for a silver 1m cable terminated on one end for the Z1R and at the other end with an official Pentacon 4.4 plug

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #1,219 of 9,633
Side note, the Z1R's make such an incredible gaming headphone. You get the bass impact that is so important for so many games (explosions, gunshots, engine notes etc) that cans like the HD800/S and T1.1 can't quite replicate to a realistic or ideally dramatic standard, but then the Z1R's still have a wide enough soundstage and articulation that things don't sound congested, and you don't feel you're losing out on micro details or spaciality. Best of all they do this whilst remaining non fatiguing. It's just a really sumptuous balance, and having used these for gaming, I just couldn't switch back to my previous cans for this purpose.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #1,220 of 9,633
For the third time I am the proud owner of the Z1R- I have to admit that I fell to the pressure of controversy and started to doubt my tastes in a particular tonality- was it possible that what I liked in this headphones was wrong? Were my ears not prosperly trained to identify what’s good. I decided to try the Aeons but honestly they didn’t bring the joy that this headphones bring. I almost decided to try the ZMF line but coming from Primes I didn’t want anything heavy. So to make the story short, I just learned the lesson of trusting my ears, so don’t care what the experts say, I like the Z1r because I enjoy them. I will refuse to be forced to like something just because some reviewer like it.
third time's a charm as they say

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #1,222 of 9,633
witcher, that is exactly what I said! Please read it more carefully. Of course there is no better sound period except to each individual person.

it is under dyson audio interconnections. a 1m silver just 4 conductor, left right no fancy "skins" or anything might be $70 I am guessing. ask him he is super nice. plus he may very well get to you Friday if you order it Monday! no one else will do that ever. I know what is on his site but he will custom make anything you wish for. he even has most material in stock except for perhaps extremely high end stuff. I will tell you though if you do a 3m crazy falls to the walls it might be $600 vs. the $7,500 for the Kimber. it is a lot better too. like no one knows this guy he is my secret but I shared it finally.

of course in my main systems I use like odin2 and such. just prefer it. for a headphone cable no one will build a better one and especially or the money than dyson. Please do not blame me if you get it and don't like it though. I swear it would be you and not the "quality" of the cable. If you don't like the sound that has only happened to me a million times so it happens. I am pretty sure if you are sure what metal you want you will be happy. The cable I got makes the Kimber look like it should be $7.50 not $7,500. Notice the decimal haha. The thing is if you put the best you can going into these they will take it and get better. I mean everything upstream including the cable. My source is a nuc with jriver 23 on these into an ayre qx-5 twenty into the further moded Cullen gcha. that amp is perfect for these kinds of phones. it is a shame ps drove them under not very nice. I tried the rs darkstar on low gain of course but this was the best in fact better than expensive balanced amps. balanced is no big deal don't get hung up on it. you can see my other discussion of it here a few weeks ago. a bunch of expert elders here agreed with me. it means little in the grand scheme of things. these are just not loudspeakers.

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #1,223 of 9,633
Musicman
Thanks
No offense however I always believe that you get what you pay for.

An original Pentacon 4.4 plug costs on the order of $70-$100 from what I've read on these forums,
High quality 3.5mm locking left right plugs for the headphone end - probably another $100

Kimber uses originals as above so that's at least $200 just in plugs. Not denying Kimber is extremely expensive however the raw materials are TOL

A one meter silver for $70 doesn't make much sense, to me, based upon the above information

Then there is the actual quality aspect. Along with my Kimber for the Z1R ( 1m which I use with the 1Z) I also have the Sony/Kimber version 3m for use with a headphone amplifier in my two channel system. Materials and build quality on the Sony/Kimber make me cringe when compared to the Axios. It's like a cheap polyester suit compared to an Italian made linen one. Night and day,

Once again I'm not defending Kimber in any way as they are ridiculously priced however you gets what you pay for. You can't compared a Jeep Cherokee to a BMW X5. Both are SUV'S however that's where it ends. Sort of like comparing a plastic Beats headphone to what we on this forum are used to

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #1,224 of 9,633
witcher, that is exactly what I said! Please read it more carefully. Of course there is no better sound period except to each individual person.

I know. I was merely adding to it.

Jan 19, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #1,225 of 9,633
My apologies I did not read it right or missed it. He does not have pentacon and does not use locking connectors. however he does have stuff like oyaide and furutech for that price. he can build very high quality but more money still not much though. for what you get. I don't feel the need for locking connectors and tbh I do not even know what pentacon is! maybe he does have it after all but if you say cost is $70 alone than of course the cable is not $70. I meant a 1m solid silver in cotton with 4 conductors, non locking furutech and either balanced or se 6.3mm should be about $70 given his pricing. it is still very nice quality but does not have what you requested so my bad. I got one for $600 and it is a serious cable. 24 30ga conductors in airtubes with cotton then non microphonic techflex in several colors that somehow seamlessly weaved together. the main cable has an outside techflex braid of 8 pieces in litz, then an 18k plated gold splitter to 8 24ga wires in each side with the high end oyaide connectors. the workmanship was top notch but just those materials would be at least $1,500 elsewhere. also this is a thick heavy cable some may not want. he can build almost anything though. the locking connectors with Kimber are because they are partnered with sony. afaik no one else has them yet. correct me if I am wrong on that as well. still obviously the Kimber is nicer my ag not that long cost as much as the headphones if not more. I had the sony Kimber and returned it. it was not real Kimber very obviously. I mean even their 4tc is good quality. Kimber is not some guy in his basement. I am pretty sure they draw their own wire. that equipment costs millions I think.

I agree the sony Kimber is rubbish.

sorry to you to you too witcher I mistook what you said.

Edit: he does really build bmw quality. just not with what you wanted. trust me I have no junk here. well maybe some in a box in the basement but you get the idea. if it was not good I would not have recommended. many of you are used to the same things I am. I do not like cheap junk. plus the sony Kimber is a huge ripoff for what you get. for that $300 it might cost $10usd to make in china. I am pretty sure it is not even Teflon. I know what you meant about a suit but I think it is in fact polyester dielectric. ot, my daily driver is now a 2018 M5. I have some super cars come and go but don't drive them in the winter. if you can appreciate a m5 then it is the same with everything. like you said you get what you pay for. once you are used to good stuff you kind of only want that. I do not mean to be a snob but the quality on some things is obvious. if someone does not know the difference then they are actually lucky! like a kia is fine but once you had a bmw you would be unhappy with the kia. the reason I recommended dyson is the quality but I do not think he has what you want. afaik no one has locking connectors yet but pentacon not sure. just ask him he is very nice. if the locking breaks the deal then stick with Kimber. seriously sure the Kimber is better look at the price. a reasonfor that not just to take advantage

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #1,226 of 9,633
Did you receive your Beyer Amiron ?
Yes, I got it yesterday. Compared to the Sonys it is bass light though. Warm and detailed sounding. Better than the DT1990.

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,227 of 9,633
After getting some hours on it, my sample of Z1R is in fact improving above its maiden state. Larger sound space, smoother bass, more linear sounding.

I went over some of the impressions of people on the various sites. What a confusing tower of babel about a great headphone. I guess the only solution is to listen and decide for oneself.

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #1,228 of 9,633
After getting some hours on it, my sample of Z1R is in fact improving above its maiden state. Larger sound space, smoother bass, more linear sounding.

I went over some of the impressions of people on the various sites. What a confusing tower of babel about a great headphone. I guess the only solution is to listen and decide for oneself.
that should go without saying

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #1,229 of 9,633
No kidding. I have stressed with most of my posts here. Regarding anything where losing the amount of money involved would mean something to you. It is easy to do too. Store, meet or buy with a full return policy if you are just really curious. You may end up loving or hating whatever you may purchase but at least you have the option to return it. Plus Amazon sells these. The WW2 I do not know how they sell in the US. If Amazon is selling it, it must be okay then. They have very stringent requirements regarding what can be sold. afaik you have no us warranty but they are offering foursquare longer than sony's warranty for $2 which is also unheard of. I never thought I would say this but for some folks it just might be their entry to them. Maybe then it allows someone to get a cable too. I am against it but if Amazon is not it must be okay and I just do not know.

Anyways, especially with my cable(not the Kimber) I think they are fantastic. They are the first real headphone that even approaches the sound signature of some loudspeakers. They are in fact detailed as well but it just does not jump out and hold your attention. These have got to be the least fatiguing headphones ever made. I would not use them for recording. They are highly colored and tilted to bass but I just love the sound. Compared to Grado in your face or HD800S so technical these are very refreshing to me. The obvious comparison of course is the Utopia. I do not think so though because they sound a lot different but I would be shopping the two. the right cable and downstream equipment will balance them out. Less bass and smoother. it turns out my best amplification was SE. Balanced is over hyped though. It is not always better as I have just proven to myself here. The cable is a scrap of a $40,000 speaker cable BIwire and sounds fantastic. Even I would not go buy that for these. I just had the Piece of scrap and terminated With old Oyaide Silver plated over Rhodium. Just lucky to have that. Otherwise the Axios is plenty good but I should warn it seems very fragile.

It is perfectly fine with me. These do have one thing in common with Grado. Either people hate them to bits or love and embrace them. I fault no one on either. This is highly subjective which is why listening is so important unless you can easily blow 3 grand or 5 grand with a cable and do not care. These, unfortunately did not garner universal acclaim. Of course no headphone really does. These just have had very strong opinions attached to them. Relax, Breathe.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #1,230 of 9,633
So I'm in a bit of a panic this morning. I put my headphones on this morning and they sounded off, like hollow and I played around a bit and noticed it was a lack of low end specifically in the right driver. At first I thought it might be the cable but then I looked at the driver itself and noticed that it seemed to be damaged:
https://imgur.com/a/bgh7G

There seem to be three small tears. I wanted to ask:
1. Am I correct in assuming this is the cause of my issue?
2. What can I do about it? These are by some margin my most expensive and favourite headphones. I have never had in eight years of owning many, many headphones had anything like this happen. I really don't know how it happened here, the earpads are always on and there is no tear in the webbing over the driver.

Any advice?
How could that be?
Magnesium or dome
Exploding
???
I saw the picture very strange
I'm starting to be afraid of mine
Soon I'm out of Sony's responsibility

What happens then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back