Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 18, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #1,201 of 9,645
buzz, unfortunately not. I just figured since they are on the bass end silver was going to be the best. That is a shame. I could always get it but I am not by any means unhappy with this. the funny thing silver over copper is usually inexpensive industrial cable. I hope they use something better regardless of sound for the money.

I had 2 Norne cables made for the Z1R. One is 24awg Copper OCC, one is 24awg Silver OCC. The stock Z1R cable is already SPC, so I did not feel the need to try those. I also did not like my past experience with SPC, so I didn't bother. I have found silver to be more suitable a cable material compared to copper for the Z1R, mainly because the silver allows more detail to come through, while preserving the same amount of warmth. The copper alone sounded very close to the Sony Kimber, with a bit better separation. My copper cables are sitting there collecting dust. lol.

I had both the all copper and the copper/silver hybrid. On a previous post I stated my opinion that the hybrid copper/silver IMHO changed the Z1's into something they were not. I felt they emasculated them. As such I ended up with the all copper version.

That's interesting. I never considered a Cu/Ag OCC hybrid. But I think I'm happy where I am with the AgOCC cable.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #1,202 of 9,645
hi
I have a Z1, and really I like it, now it's the only one for me and that's nice.
I don't understand all in this thread, If I want a real upgrade with the cable is it necessarily expensive ? witch one could be a bargain ?
As I have not a lot of money perhaps it's better to keep the original ?
Thanks, apologies with my bad english

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #1,203 of 9,645
Like I said before I certainly hope Kimbers aG/CU is not mere industrial cable. You must watch out like on Ebay when they say silver clad copper etc. That is usually a $2 cable. I doubt Kimber would do that. In fact I think they make their own wire so it must be very good. They are not Ebay obviously and I certainly do not mean to liken them to such. Kimber is like linn too, just old hardcore brand like McIntosh,naim,luxman etc. Kimber is established. Not to say some kid on Ebay may build an even better cable but that would be great luck. When you talk like Odin2 you should be very serious about this. Even if you have the money no reason to waste it. I spent over 40 years in the music industry so this is my blood. I too did not hear the others and just picked the silver. I figured they lean towards bass so that should work best.

no, my linn lp12 is 30 years old lol. not like yours. I do have a high end tt but In my old age I prefer discs. unfortunately it is all going to streaming. luckily I have almost every disc I ever wanted. I swear I can hear the difference between like flac,ogg and wav. maybe say that is impossible. just perception means a lot too really. I take that as a real but incalculable measurement. I probably cannot honestly tell you flac from wav. not sure. Anyways discs are becoming rare. oh yes you can get gold masters but I never bought into that. maybe with r2r it would make a difference. with error correction you can play any format.

As for a cable it will make a difference imo. you do not have to get axios. there are many good less expensive cables. I think the main thing is at least get some silver in there. some may not like it though anyways. it is all subjective.

Jan 18, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #1,204 of 9,645
I do have a high end tt but In my old age I prefer discs. unfortunately it is all going to streaming. luckily I have almost every disc I ever wanted.
I lost all my vinyl and CD's in a house fire several years ago. So I have been buying disk every month to try to build up my collection again. I guess I am a dinosaur but I enjoy listening and handling CD's. I listen to everything in balanced mode, so I have had to purchase balanced xlr cables. I have not spent crazy amounts for them, there are good quality well made cables for a couple hundred bucks, just buy from someone that is reputable.

Jan 18, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #1,205 of 9,645
The Axios copper/silver hybrid is not plated. Eight of the strands are pure copper while the other eight are pure silver. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong however that is my understanding.

I also have the Axios copper on my Utopias. I tried the Wireworld Platinum all silver cable on them however I did not like it.

What are some reasonably priced all silver alternatives for the Z1R's?

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #1,206 of 9,645
hi
I have a Z1, and really I like it, now it's the only one for me and that's nice.
I don't understand all in this thread, If I want a real upgrade with the cable is it necessarily expensive ? witch one could be a bargain ?
it's a matter of opinion. if you're satisfied with what you have, then you may prevent the onset of audio nervosa and the concomitant financial expenditure by not asking those questions here or at any other audiophile forum. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #1,207 of 9,645
[QUOTE = "en retard, poste: 13983123, membre: 358977"] c'est une question d'opinion. Si vous êtes satisfait de ce que vous avez, alors vous pouvez empêcher l'apparition de l'audio-nerf et les dépenses financières concomitantes en ne posant pas ces questions ici ou à tout autre forum audiophile. :clin d'œil:[/CITATION]

Pearls of wisdom :) thank you, perhaps today I win some £$€, cool relax at home with music, and without any bitcoins.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #1,209 of 9,645
hi
I use the original cable with my WM1A. It is all you will ever need. The source that you have was forged by the Japanese gods of HiFi. They also designed that cable. I trust them.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #1,210 of 9,645
I lost all my vinyl and CD's in a house fire several years ago. So I have been buying disk every month to try to build up my collection again. I guess I am a dinosaur but I enjoy listening and handling CD's. I listen to everything in balanced mode, so I have had to purchase balanced xlr cables. I have not spent crazy amounts for them, there are good quality well made cables for a couple hundred bucks, just buy from someone that is reputable.

+1
Same as me, I still buy cds and listen at home and rip them onto notebook hd or thumb drive to use in my car and my phone.

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,211 of 9,645
I own all music that I listen to on CD. All ripped as FLAC are on my WM1A. Then I can use the supplied Sony Pentaconn cable with either the Z1r or the Z7.

Jan 18, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #1,212 of 9,645
I have a fair amount of bought hi-res music and then I’m in the process of systematically ripping my near 2000 cd’s to flac. After that I have some 2-300 lps to go through and rip the ones that never made it to cd. It all goes on my pc, on my Auralic Aries Mini and on my 1Z (hi-res downsampled to 16/44 or 16/48)

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #1,214 of 9,645
I will let out a secret. Google "Dyson audio cables". He will hook you up with as insane a cable as you wish for a price that will make you smile. There is another company and like with the other "target" here I am not going to insult him but I just wish you luck not to do business with him. I am sorry that I probably should not say who I "feel" this person is. oh I would like to but starting controversy goes nowhere. Anyways Dyson is your guy. I literally got 2.3OZ of silver for less than the melt price let alone the cable which was a crazy snake thing.

If you prefer silver, copper or a mix is entirely up to you. Silver is not "better" for sound. It just happens to cost more. What you like is up to you. I do stand corrected on Kimber. They are quality. Indeed a mix of each not clad. Heck you can even like clad but don't pay much for it at least.
It should certainly do justice to replace the stock cables. That is where they went cheap imo. Compared to like stock Grado PS2KE but that is captive so it was good of them.

I do not know why Head_FI staff are so interested in the HD800S. Even forget the Sony but there are like at least 25 other flagships. I personally would be showing off the HE1. I even like the Sony's better in some way but that is exceptionally subjective. The HE1 are on a different planet.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #1,215 of 9,645
The Axios copper/silver hybrid is not plated. Eight of the strands are pure copper while the other eight are pure silver. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong however that is my understanding.

I also have the Axios copper on my Utopias. I tried the Wireworld Platinum all silver cable on them however I did not like it.

What are some reasonably priced all silver alternatives for the Z1R's?

I'd say Norne's Silver Draug is decently priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back