Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,246 of 9,645
I'm planning on getting the Holo Spring Level 3 Kitsune tuned dac + violectric v280

I'm currently using the Z1R with my portable setup (iPod/Algorythm Solo -db dac/Vorzamp Pure II+) and it sounds great. The Pure II+ and Z1R are a match made in heaven.

I think a good cable will take the headhones to a new level. I'm going to diy a jena labs recable just like I did with my Fostex TH900 mk2. Or perhaps silver which may complement the Z1Rs better.
-
-
-

I'm planning on getting the Holo Spring Level 3 Kitsune tuned dac + violectric v280
- Very interesting set up.:) Thank you.

Jan 24, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #1,247 of 9,645
I actually prefer the airy highs of the stock cable (I'm still using it), and think it's really a great pity that the stock one is so poorly constructed. Sony's men claimed they tuned this headphone with the stock cable; it's very hard to understand their choice.
I find that I do hear a twinge of upper high emphasis that Tyll talked about in his review with the stock cable, and the Sony/Kimber cable targets that perfectly for me. I wish Tyll had tried the Sony/Kimber. I find the tonality and balance just right now.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #1,248 of 9,645
I am glad they are finally reviewing the HE1. Call me insane but in the pure enjoyment category I say these beat even the HE1. I do have them and the HE90 too. Plus SR009, LCD4,R10....You get the idea. I have some real serious headphones. What I am saying is these are so unique. Like you had dinner with a man from Mars. It is like nothing I ever experienced from a headphone. In many ways they are all the same including these. These however bring some other component I cannot explain. Look, I just ordered 3 more pairs so I have backup. The only phones we have backup is in the studio like DT-770 and K701. These are by no means an incredible headphone. Like if your wife was really ugly but you saw something else in her and were not so shallow. For the record, Honey if you read this it was just an analogy you look fine.

I cannot help on cable lol. I am using a mere $40,000 cable that is stiff as a gas pipe. It literally sticks in front of me like our snakes do. I did mention I sort of paid nothing for this cable though. It was scrap from something else. I figure there are $600 in connectors but I did not have to go buy those either. Honestly the Axios AG sounds perhaps better but the shortest one is like $1,200 afaik. compared to the build of the "Muc" cables there is no comparison. I would love to tell who I hate making cables but I know better than to do that. I just do not want you guy's to get screwed. If you want cheap silver can handle non locking plugs and like Furutech Etc. for the amp end Dyson is your guy. His stuff is top quality and will set you back $125-$175 for a meter. Far cry for anything else. I will put my recommendation on him. That says a lot. I never endorsed anyone "here" and I have not been compensated on his behalf. If you can deal with what I said you will absolutely not get better for less money. However my first recommendation is to try to get the Kimber Axios.

All in all I think many may just not realize what this headphone is. Perhaps due to them not having other super high end headphones to compare them to. No insult intended. Sure other headphones beat these in 9 categories but it is the tenth category that is really something where these will wipe the floor with anything imo.. I am just using "category's" as an analogy. No actual category's here but I am saying these have "something" no other headphone posses. can't put my finger on it either. It is too complex.

Also, as I said with a $500 dac/amp these are fine. Even out of an IPhone. Throw $35,000 in front of these and maybe you feel the same way I do. Brings a tear to my eye. The sound is beautiful. I do not mean to brag or belittle anyone. As I said, right out of an IPhone they are decent even. I also said what was in front of them twice so please go back pages. Given no limit, could I get something sounding even better? I will never know because I am not going down that Gopher hole lol. I have enough equipment already. I just figured this "was going to do it" and I am exceptionally pleased. As I also said these will scale up very high, So you even have something with great potential without this equipment. The nice thing is they will in fact do well on very low end stuff as well.

Perhaps others do not feel this way which is fine. I just relate my feelings and this is highly subjective. I have no motive to like these at all other than they are very dear to my heart. The sound touches me in a way nothing else does. To think I planned on returning them. Did I say I love these?

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #1,249 of 9,645
I am glad they are finally reviewing the HE1. Call me insane but in the pure enjoyment category I say these beat even the HE1. I do have them and the HE90 too. Plus SR009, LCD4,R10....You get the idea. I have some real serious headphones. What I am saying is these are so unique. Like you had dinner with a man from Mars. It is like nothing I ever experienced from a headphone. In many ways they are all the same including these. These however bring some other component I cannot explain. Look, I just ordered 3 more pairs so I have backup. The only phones we have backup is in the studio like DT-770 and K701. These are by no means an incredible headphone. Like if your wife was really ugly but you saw something else in her and were not so shallow. For the record, Honey if you read this it was just an analogy you look fine.

I cannot help on cable lol. I am using a mere $40,000 cable that is stiff as a gas pipe. It literally sticks in front of me like our snakes do. I did mention I sort of paid nothing for this cable though. It was scrap from something else. I figure there are $600 in connectors but I did not have to go buy those either. Honestly the Axios AG sounds perhaps better but the shortest one is like $1,200 afaik. compared to the build of the "Muc" cables there is no comparison. I would love to tell who I hate making cables but I know better than to do that. I just do not want you guy's to get screwed. If you want cheap silver can handle non locking plugs and like Furutech Etc. for the amp end Dyson is your guy. His stuff is top quality and will set you back $125-$175 for a meter. Far cry for anything else. I will put my recommendation on him. That says a lot. I never endorsed anyone "here" and I have not been compensated on his behalf. If you can deal with what I said you will absolutely not get better for less money. However my first recommendation is to try to get the Kimber Axios.

All in all I think many may just not realize what this headphone is. Perhaps due to them not having other super high end headphones to compare them to. No insult intended. Sure other headphones beat these in 9 categories but it is the tenth category that is really something where these will wipe the floor with anything imo.. I am just using "category's" as an analogy. No actual category's here but I am saying these have "something" no other headphone posses. can't put my finger on it either. It is too complex.

Also, as I said with a $500 dac/amp these are fine. Even out of an IPhone. Throw $35,000 in front of these and maybe you feel the same way I do. Brings a tear to my eye. The sound is beautiful. I do not mean to brag or belittle anyone. As I said, right out of an IPhone they are decent even. I also said what was in front of them twice so please go back pages. Given no limit, could I get something sounding even better? I will never know because I am not going down that Gopher hole lol. I have enough equipment already. I just figured this "was going to do it" and I am exceptionally pleased. As I also said these will scale up very high, So you even have something with great potential without this equipment. The nice thing is they will in fact do well on very low end stuff as well.

Perhaps others do not feel this way which is fine. I just relate my feelings and this is highly subjective. I have no motive to like these at all other than they are very dear to my heart. The sound touches me in a way nothing else does. To think I planned on returning them. Did I say I love these?
Wow, you are a real hard-core fan of this can. I agree they do things that no other can does. Only the Z7 comes close. Maybe you should give them a shot, the use the same cable connectors, so you can use your super cable on them too.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #1,250 of 9,645

You think like me. I have another pair of Z1R for backup too.

But you really hardcore that have Triple Z1R for backup.

OMG

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #1,251 of 9,645
So how many are using silver cables here - and which particular ones - as all this talk has me thinking again?

As previously posted I had an Axios silver/copper hybrid here (8 strands copper and 8 strands silver) and an Axios pure copper. I ended up keeping the Axios copper as I felt the hybrid "emasculated" the Z1R's and softened then into something they were not.

Wondering if I should try pure silver?

FWIW I tried a Wireworld Platinum (pure silver) on my Utopias and 1Z and also ended up choosing the Axios copper over that one.

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,253 of 9,645
So how many are using silver cables here - and which particular ones - as all this talk has me thinking again?

As previously posted I had an Axios silver/copper hybrid here (8 strands copper and 8 strands silver) and an Axios pure copper. I ended up keeping the Axios copper as I felt the hybrid "emasculated" the Z1R's and softened then into something they were not.

Wondering if I should try pure silver?

FWIW I tried a Wireworld Platinum (pure silver) on my Utopias and 1Z and also ended up choosing the Axios copper over that one.

I'm using Norne Draug 3 Silver with my Z1R. To me, it sounds smooth and bassy like a copper cable, but with the added clarity and openness(?) of a silver cable.

The other cables I got from Forza (copper), Lavricables (silver), and the Sony/Kimber collab (stiff...) just don't compare honestly. Kimber Axios was out of my price range so I haven't heard those. (I was originally supposed to get Norne Solvine hybrid, but the order messed up, so I was upgraded to Draug 3 Silver for free. Quite lucky really.)

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #1,254 of 9,645
Not kidding. If she happened to look because she tries to be interested in things I am, and likewise. I know it was funny but if she took it the wrong way well you can imagine the displeasure for both of us lol. It really is not what I meant though!

Anyways glad to see some agree. Like I said it is not the most fantastic headphone but it has something. You know like special sauce no one has so you eat at the same place everyday for lunch lol.

any full silver I find to be the best and obviously you have believed me. I understand the price of the Axios. Again this $$$ cable sort of cost me nothing. At least not on the Z1R. It can be any well constructed cable really. Then you have to decide if you like one of many braid styles like Litz, Golden ratio etc. Or even straight. If you want really fancy and not from Dyson it is going to cost more than the Axios anyways. If someone has $3,000 headphones the shortest axios should not be that hard to save for. As my luck has it my friend (who is not as lucky) does not play with the kind of money I do. He has the Z7. So what I am saying is I can and will try a bunch of cables on the Z7 to see if it will come close to the stock Z1R. However you just spent the same money anyways lol. Well not a nice basic Dyson for $150. He will be glad to build you a 5 grand cable too. Whatever you wish. His main deal is to offer super quality cheap. I mentioned he built me a cable with more silver than the melt price let alone the workmanship. Sticking wires into Air tubes is very time consuming. Figure a average tech makes $35 an hour so you do the math. There are people on Ebay without silver. Ask them and they probably have it. Cheapest good cables are going to be on Ebay. I know Kimber is good. They put 8 silver and 8 copper because they are legit. silver clad copper is mainly junk 2 cents a meter. There is some OCC(supposedly) but all 6 or so factories have denied they make it. Silver is not a better cable by any means. It just sounds different and usually happens to cost more being a commodity. The thing is my feeling is it just so happens to make the Z1R perfect. Some braids I like better than others but that is exceptionally subjective now. The problem is most people have no way to test cables for free. I doubt anyone will buy 5 or more for the same headphone so I guess I would just go with a master builder and let them suggest. I feel the reason is the Sony's focus on the bottom and silver is bright thus evening it out. The Axios is wonderful but I understand about the price. The Z7 is not that far away. It is like everything else in our hobby. You pay for the extra 10%. In this case I would suggest the Z1R if the price is not a problem. On the other hand Sony always has offered more for the money than smaller brands.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #1,255 of 9,645
I did not know the Draug 3 came in silver? It looks like the solv does. those "look" nice. I knew about them. Not nearly as much as the Axios but less than half the silver. Still, any silver is going to make a difference. quite frankly too much can mess the whole thing up too.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #1,256 of 9,645
How much the the Norne Draug 3 in Silver? Is this Norne's top of the line cable?

When I was trying out the Axios copper and copper/silver I did not bother to try the Axios all silver. Why? Because it is $3000 ie more than the cost of the headphone. That makes it a no go for me - on principal. When to came to the Axios copper or copper/silver I chose copper based upon sound preference - and not based upon cost.

With all of the positive comments of silver on the Z1R I may consider revisiting the topic - but not with a $3k Axios. If the Norne is reasonable it may be worth a shot.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,257 of 9,645
How much the the Norne Draug 3 in Silver? Is this Norne's top of the line cable?

When I was trying out the Axios copper and copper/silver I did not bother to try the Axios all silver. Why? Because it is $3000 ie more than the cost of the headphone. That makes it a no go for me - on principal. When to came to the Axios copper or copper/silver I chose copper based upon sound preference - and not based upon cost.

With all of the positive comments of silver on the Z1R I may consider revisiting the topic - but not with a $3k Axios. If the Norne is reasonable it may be worth a shot.

It's his TOTL cable. You can only order it via email for now.

For 4ft with 2.5mm termination, it came to $570 (or $455 during Black Friday). That's why I went with Solvine Hybrid lol. But then I got lucky, and ended up with Draug Silver, which I initially paid $280 for (with BF 20% off sale).

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,258 of 9,645
Hi all you cable guys, is there any measurement out there that proves the usefulness of such expensive cables over the stock cables? I mean graphs and maybe waterfall diagrams? All what people tell who bought expensive cables is purely subjective and not backed up by facts. Or do you have real evidence?

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #1,259 of 9,645
Hi all you cable guys, is there any measurement out there that proves the usefulness of such expensive cables over the stock cables? I mean graphs and maybe waterfall diagrams? All what people tell who bought expensive cables is purely subjective and not backed up by facts. Or do you have real evidence?

No idea, but I think that is a subject better discussed in the cables or sound science sections.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #1,260 of 9,645

I do think you know the answer...:). This hobby is very subjektive. I have heard the Z1R with several different cables and can't hear a difference. None of them costing several 1000 dollars though.

And yes this debate is endless but still ok unless it gets overheated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back