Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 3, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #1,051 of 9,635
What an amazing video.

After seeing the amount of labor, detail and care going into producing each pair of Z1R's I have no problem understanding why they cost what they do. Absolutely superb!

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #1,052 of 9,635
Why is this thread so dead? Can't help feeling that Tyll's review and other threads being locked left and right stifled discussion on this one. Hard to find this particular thread too. Loving these HPs more than ever. Getting balanced cables too. Can't wait to hear what that sounds like. Thanks @SONYES for the cable recommendation.
You know, for SONY this is better. They can sell this can silently without any trouble to people who understand why this headphone and the also great Z7 are made like they are.
I myself use it nearly every day and have a smile on my face because of how it sounds and how the bass feels.

Did I mention that I love the SONY MDR-Z1R more than any other headphone that I own or had?

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #1,053 of 9,635
Why is this thread so dead? Can't help feeling that Tyll's review and other threads being locked left and right stifled discussion on this one. Hard to find this particular thread too. Loving these HPs more than ever. Getting balanced cables too. Can't wait to hear what that sounds like. Thanks @SONYES for the cable recommendation.
threads can go quiet and become active again some time later. i wouldn't read too much into it.

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #1,054 of 9,635
I'm still enjoying my Sony Z1R's. I had a friend come over and try out my TH-900's, HE1K's, LCD-XC's and my Z1R's. The Z1R's stayed on her head for 3 hours. She could not believe the instrument detail she was hearing and the way they were imaging. I had to explain to her what she was hearing because she's never heard a headphone resolve like the Z1R's. She commented on things like I can hear strings being plucked, and the decay of the cymbals. I just smiled.....

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #1,056 of 9,635

Interresting vdo :)

You know, for SONY this is better. They can sell this can silently without any trouble to people who understand why this headphone and the also great Z7 are made like they are.
I myself use it nearly every day and have a smile on my face because of how it sounds and how the bass feels.

+1
I think Z7 sounds nice with 70s-80s music.

Did I mention that I love the SONY MDR-Z1R more than any other headphone that I own or had?

+ 1 They sounded unique on their own.

Jan 3, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #1,058 of 9,635
Thanks a lot for sharing that video.

Proud to be a MDR-Z1R owner, not just the sound signature we love
also the craftsmanship you can't find on other headphones nowadays, like ATH-M50x
But... but, M50X sounds better than Z1R

Jan 3, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #1,060 of 9,635
Both, the Z1R and the Z7 never made it to IF's WOF. Good thing, they cannot be removed now and forevermore. I'd rather be happy to stay off this wall, seems like an ungood place to be.

Jan 3, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #1,062 of 9,635
Both, the Z1R and the Z7 never made it to IF's WOF. Good thing, they cannot be removed now and forevermore. I'd rather be happy to stay off this wall, seems like an ungood place to be.
they can't be removed if they were never on there in the first place. :wink: the wof isn't meant to be static anyway. back on topic - what are you enjoying listening to on your z1r's currently?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,064 of 9,635
Jan 3, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #1,065 of 9,635
DSC_00191.jpg

What I am doing now - comparing with the 'standard', experimenting the solder/connector combination trying to get a best sound balance after replace the plug with a 4-pin XLR. Currently the stock cable is still my choice, though not good enough.

The amp is a RE LEAF E3, from this small workshop RE LEAF that is founded by former Sony engineers. It occupies a 'Current Drive' mode in which the amp carefully controls the current but not the voltage hoping to gain better control of the driver unit.
The result is good for Z1R, less excess bass and significantly less noise in the treble, making it smooth and pure. Whilst the sound from CD900ST feels just 'standard', Z1R indeed has more upper highs and mid bass however also extends way further. So just need a little time to get accustomed to it.

Also want to say this can is truly source-sensitive. I've actually connected this amp directly to my PC but not my Luxman player because the PC really sounds better:frowning2:. Hate to admit but under my hifi setup the Z1R just seems to lack some treble, and turning the volume out loud only make it harsher. But under the PC the treble has enough energy under an even lower volume. This difference is far less obvious with CD900ST, or even the HD800. So pay more attention to the sound balance of the Z1R - if it's well-driven, you will get a full sound just under a moderate volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back