Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #736 of 9,634
right lol. I was trying not to point out something stupid with my post btw in regards to "the pairing is person taste dependent" since ALL cans are dependent on ones taste. Just making sure that people know that the Z1R isn't an easy recommendation if that makes sense. I think you dig what I am saying.

In regards to all the bashing I get what your saying. Its sad but people that don't enjoy the Z1R REALLY love messing with the people that do in this regard lol. Different yolks for different folks.
I think Tyll's rebuke of the Z1R will haunt him now forever in many different ways.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #737 of 9,634
Haha, we ain’t never letting that go.
But I do see many reviewers that like just about everything. And I understand that there is some pressure, which is human nature sort of. And it is good gesture to praise new products and all. Tyll is one that I see sometimes speaking his mind. I respect that. Did I take it personally? Heck yea, I love my Z1r. The psychology behind it is kind of interesting. Very!

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #738 of 9,634
I think Tyll's rebuke of the Z1R will haunt him now forever in many different ways.

not likely. he's moved on and z1r owners should too. i'm finding the ongoing hand-wringing over his review perplexing tbh.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #739 of 9,634
Moved on but credibility sure took a hit

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #741 of 9,634
I don't think Tyll has moved on, these articles published not long ago (later than his original Z1R review):

5 Sept 2017
: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/approaching-neutral .
These are points that i want to highlight from his article:
  • If you see a long thread with a lot of flowery words about how a headphone sounds like unicorn breath and beach life, interspersed with a few comments from others saying it's trash because of the bloated bass or has a piercing treble, you can probably disregard the headphone. Those with good listening skills won't have much to say about a really bad headphone; those who are fooling themselves into the pleasure of a colorful subjective experience may have a lot to say about their rich fantasy.
  • If you find a thread where people are somewhat speechless, having a hard time identifying any objective problems, and having a hard time describing it other than mild overall impressions, pay attention. If people start using words like "transparent" and "clear", pay special attention.
  • Look at the measurements. Know what the neutral target curve looks like and how your personal tastes may slightly deviate. I like it a little rolled-off up top with a bit of bass boost; you may differ. Once you find likely candidates, you must listen for yourself. With near-neutral headphones your subjective experience may be quite a bit different than modest deviations from neutral may indicate.
  • Develop your analytical listening skills so you can identify peaks and valleys in response and have a sense of their magnitude. If you identify significantly colored response and still like it, consider the possibility that you're fooling yourself. Dig deeper, listen to a variety of music, listen to both good and bad recordings, you'll likely come to hear the coloration for the flaw that it is...and then you'll not be able to un-hear it as flawed. This is learning. The process is not necessarily comfortable, but you'll end up with more deeply satisfying headphones.
26 Sept 2017: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-z1r-follow-measurements

------------------

Given chances, he will keep poke on Z1R and I just don't get it why everyone of us must follow his standard and he keep trying to justify himself that he is right... smh

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #744 of 9,634
i don't see the z1r mentioned in those quotes

It isen’t. It’s the condescending attitude in some of the points that is the problem. But lets’s try not to get this thread closed again

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #745 of 9,634
Pls read the whole article

i am aware of the article in which tyll muses on the notion of neutrality and refers to the criticism he received for his review of the z1r. and the other article in which he provides an update on his measurements of jude's pre-production z1r. he's just fulfilling a previous undertaking that he'd given there. there'll probably be another update after jude measures tyll's production sample. is this really such a problem? just enjoy your z1r.
It isen’t. It’s the condescending attitude in some of the points that is the problem. But lets’s try not to get this thread closed again

i agree that one z1r thread closure over tyll's review is quite enough

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #746 of 9,634
I don't think Tyll has moved on, these articles published not long ago (later than his original Z1R review):

5 Sept 2017
: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/approaching-neutral .
These are points that i want to highlight from his article:
  • If you see a long thread with a lot of flowery words about how a headphone sounds like unicorn breath and beach life, interspersed with a few comments from others saying it's trash because of the bloated bass or has a piercing treble, you can probably disregard the headphone. Those with good listening skills won't have much to say about a really bad headphone; those who are fooling themselves into the pleasure of a colorful subjective experience may have a lot to say about their rich fantasy.
  • If you find a thread where people are somewhat speechless, having a hard time identifying any objective problems, and having a hard time describing it other than mild overall impressions, pay attention. If people start using words like "transparent" and "clear", pay special attention.
  • Look at the measurements. Know what the neutral target curve looks like and how your personal tastes may slightly deviate. I like it a little rolled-off up top with a bit of bass boost; you may differ. Once you find likely candidates, you must listen for yourself. With near-neutral headphones your subjective experience may be quite a bit different than modest deviations from neutral may indicate.
  • Develop your analytical listening skills so you can identify peaks and valleys in response and have a sense of their magnitude. If you identify significantly colored response and still like it, consider the possibility that you're fooling yourself. Dig deeper, listen to a variety of music, listen to both good and bad recordings, you'll likely come to hear the coloration for the flaw that it is...and then you'll not be able to un-hear it as flawed. This is learning. The process is not necessarily comfortable, but you'll end up with more deeply satisfying headphones.
26 Sept 2017: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-z1r-follow-measurements
Wow, that was smug and arrogant. Didn't see that.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #747 of 9,634
SONY MDR-Z1R

Now I hear through the amplifier
SPL PHONITOR 2
On a balanced output.
MARANTZ SA-11 S1 All balanced to Z1R.

You simply have no idea how amazing it is to hear. ON Z1R.
Also with a special cable built for me especially for the set
NEOTECH

The SONY MDR-Z1R sounds completely different from the moment I bought it.

Just an audio-visual experience

See the sounds and hear details in space and location that were not before.
In a lot of recordings
The Z1R simply exceeds the HD800
In many parameters
Just amazing - how much sound has changed
Great Timber
With an exceptional separation between the instruments.
The difference between 6.3 and normal port is already very good at SPL
The simple BAL exit has nothing to look back on

Even when the amplifier receives a standard RCA signal and also rises to level 0 like the professional equipment
The result is spectacular with Z1R sound.
BUT
THE BAL IS THE WAY TO GO ON "Z1R"

All the heavy bass has disappeared thanks to this amplifier + the special cable that has not yet passed through the Break In

All in a precise place full of live and breathing with details that I had in the HD800 and more in superb sound .

This is the place to ask for forgiveness from SONY for which I was angry - you've read that before.

Details later on

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #749 of 9,634
Still a little pity that the SPL doesn't provide balanced output, which will give the phone full power. Although the Z1R will sound good as well through the 6.3mm as it's properly driven.
The amplifier has a special balanced out
Behind the amp
In male ports OUT FOR IT

https://spl.info/en/products/headphone-amplifier/phonitor-2/overview.html

Need a cable like they made for me 2X 3 pin female
The amplifier is balanced from the input to the exit
Except for the circles MATRIX
FOR BAL OUT AMP- THE LAST ONE 2013>>>>>>
These OPs work with high-performance semiconductors in Class A technology at a symmetrical voltage of +/-60V.

OPX-History.gif

See HER

https://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/produkte-w/Phonitor 2 / Phonitor_2_BA_EN.pdf

PEG 20

2015-06-18_SPL-Phonitor-2_005-1024x683.jpg

OPEN THE PIC YOU WELL SEE

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #750 of 9,634
I'm also Z1R and HD800 owner, and my reason is that the HD800 has better wearing comfort, there is larger space inside its cups and I can wear it for hours.

I like the variety of opinions even with these items. I'd never pick the HD800 over the Z1R for comfort. Which is saying a lot, since the 800 are really comfortable. But the Z1R are just outstanding for me. They feel softer and much lighter than much heavier headphones, which is impressive. In fact, they feel lighter than the 800.

Still overall, comfort is important and one of the several reasons I kept these two is that they're both some of the most comfortable full size headphones you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back